Aspire One D260 BIOS update via DOS

zgordey

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hello all,

I'm trying to update my BIOS (Insyde H20) via DOS, since the utility they gave for Windows doesn't work (and Acer's support wants me to pay them to get one that will.)

The package from their support site has 4 files in it;
AV70315A.fd
AV70315B.fd
FLASH.EXE
FLASHIT.EXE

The readme says only "1. DOS flash: Please execute "FLASH.EXE" batch file to update bios under pure Dos mode."

I think I know how to create a DOS boot disk (using HP USB disk storage tool and windows 98 DOS boot files), but I can't get the program to execute; also, I don't know whether to use the first .fd file or the second, or which .exe to use! I've been stuck on this for awhile, so your help would be greatly appreciated!

zgordey

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011

Right. I downloaded that file, unzipped it, and tried to run it and got an error; "InsydeFlash could not load the driver. Please close all applications and run as administrator." I did both of those steps, several times, and get the same error message. I walked through it with an Acer rep, and they had no clue what was going on, and advised me to try a DOS flash.

For reference; Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit.

Only other thing I can think of is to run the file in different compatibility modes and see if one works.

Right-click on the file and select "Create shortcut".
Right-click on the shortcut and select "Properties".
Click the "Compatibility" tab.
Check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:".
Select a compatibility mode. I would try XP or Vista first, but pick whichever you want.
Near the bottom of the tab click "Run this program as an administrator".
Click Apply and OK.

Double-click the shortcut and see if it works. If it doesn’t, select another compatibility mode and try again.

TRENDING THREADS