Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SLI Help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 25, 2010 5:59:57 AM

When I run SLI my 2d desktop is fine, but when I run a game like, World Of Warcraft or Need For Speed Shift, or any in general, even 3d Mark vantage, about 50% of the screen shakes uncontrollably out of focus, like it's out of v-sync or something. If I disable sli it stops... and the game works fine. I just built this, it's my first sli setup, is it that I got a bad card or is the sli setup not right? please help.

Amd phenom II X4 955 deneb
Mobo. MSI NF750-G55 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Mem. 8gb DDR3
Graphics cards GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) X2 sli :sweat:  link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU Seventeam ST-850ZAF 850W Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : sli

August 25, 2010 7:44:23 AM

can you upload a pic?

have you tried the obvious (uninstalling drivers - running driver cleaner - all this under safe mode - then shutting the computer off and re-seating the cards/ sli connector)?
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 25, 2010 10:17:47 AM

It might also be worth checking to see what SLi mode you're running in.
m
l
Related resources
August 25, 2010 6:02:45 PM

Ok, so last night I was tired as hell when I wrote the post, I just woke up and I tested both cards by them selves and they work individually NP, so I it's not the cards fault, I did the guru driver sweeper it kept freezing on me so I manually uninstalled all the drivers and also the registry, opened in safe mode, ran the driver sweeper again, success, re-installed same thing, mass tearing and no focus, turn sli off and it works with one gpu, I am completely new to SLI so I don't know anything about how to check witch SLI mode it's in, so please bear with me and treat me like a child when it comes to sli.
m
l
August 25, 2010 6:04:02 PM

I don't have a way of giving you a picture =( I so wish I could to because I got all this wraped up in a coolermaster HAF case and it's sexy =) would be even more so when we get this sli worked out.
m
l
August 25, 2010 6:12:07 PM

do screenshots come out fine, could you upload a screenshot then, using fraps or some other program
m
l
August 25, 2010 6:15:21 PM

Oh just a sec I can do that np
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 25, 2010 6:18:13 PM

Oldirty said:
Ok, so last night I was tired as hell when I wrote the post, I just woke up and I tested both cards by them selves and they work individually NP, so I it's not the cards fault, I did the guru driver sweeper it kept freezing on me so I manually uninstalled all the drivers and also the registry, opened in safe mode, ran the driver sweeper again, success, re-installed same thing, mass tearing and no focus, turn sli off and it works with one gpu, I am completely new to SLI so I don't know anything about how to check witch SLI mode it's in, so please bear with me and treat me like a child when it comes to sli.

Are you using the drivers from the CD's? Did you use the latest Nvidia drivers? Also maybe its the bottom PCI-e slot (I doubt it but its worth a try), try BOTH cards in the bottom slot and see if the problem replicates.

Also, maybe Mousemonkey can debunk this, but I've never heard of that PSU brand so it COULD be the PSU. Reviews of it look good though.
m
l
August 25, 2010 6:21:40 PM

The shaking does not record on fraps for what ever reason......
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 25, 2010 6:22:22 PM

Oldirty said:
The shaking does not record on fraps for what ever reason......

Sounds like a display problem then.
m
l
August 25, 2010 6:23:37 PM

I heard the PSU brand was a name brand in the UK . And I just used the latest drivers. Going to try runing them on the bottom PCI-E slot now.
m
l
August 25, 2010 6:26:00 PM

it does it on all displays
3 moniters, 2 lcd's one of them old school
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 25, 2010 6:39:09 PM

Helltech said:
Also, maybe Mousemonkey can debunk this, but I've never heard of that PSU brand so it COULD be the PSU. Reviews of it look good though.

It may not be the best PSU but I would have thought it was enough.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 25, 2010 6:40:41 PM

Is it always the same half of the screen that shakes?
m
l
August 25, 2010 6:41:33 PM

the cards work in both slots by them sevles, so both cards are good and both slots are good. At this point I am wishing I had bought 5970 and stayed with my old mobo.. wth.
m
l
August 25, 2010 6:44:20 PM

Not really it's all over the pace and on different games it's not as strong, like in NFS Shift it only does it in the menu, but if I switch resolutions around it will tear during the game.
m
l
August 25, 2010 6:45:31 PM

And again it's on all three displays not just on one, I have them hooked up one at a time, they are not hooked up together.

BTW thank you guys for helping to! I Really appreciate your help!
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 25, 2010 6:51:40 PM

Looks like this is one of those very rare issues that most don't encounter. Is your monitor a dual link dvi or single dvi/vga? Second try different drivers to see if you continue to get the same results. Also check the sli connector to make sure it is properly in place as well inspect the cards for any thing that may be missing. This could be data corruption between the two cards in sli mode resulting in a distorted image. Be sure to check the volts on the 12v source to see if they are low. low is 11.5v or less. The draw backs to sli and crossfire is the mirroring of data between each gpu resulting in a performance loss and possible issues such as this. So do as I had suggested and report back.
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 25, 2010 6:52:18 PM

Have you tried running without the SLi bridge, in the Nvidia control panel there is an option under 3D settings to enable the Sli indicators (on the taskbar) so you can see if SLi is still working even without the bridge.
m
l
August 25, 2010 10:03:43 PM

I could not find the sli indactors, I took the sli bridge off and enabled the sli in the control panel and started WoW and it worked with no tearing, but how do I make sure it is actually running in SLI mode? heres the picture of where I enabled it

And when you said in the 3d settings there should be a way to enable indacators, here is the options I have in 3d settings
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 25, 2010 10:06:24 PM

At the top of the page between "View" and "Help".
m
l
August 25, 2010 10:23:25 PM

I found it and turned it on and nothing appeared on the task bar... but I noticed in the options * you can see in my other picture, the big one if you click on it* that it says physX > Geforce xfx 460 (1) even when I put auto select it chooses that, so thats not runnning it in sli right? because I did a 3d mark and only got 17000, when here with similar cards Tomshardware got 25000 with gtx 460's sli
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 25, 2010 10:28:49 PM

Oldirty said:
I found it and turned it on and nothing appeared on the task bar... but I noticed in the options * you can see in my other picture, the big one if you click on it* that it says physX > Geforce xfx 460 (1) even when I put auto select it chooses that, so thats not runnning it in sli right? because I did a 3d mark and only got 17000, when here with similar cards Tomshardware got 25000 with gtx 460's sli

Turning on the SLi indicators does not make anything appear on the task bar, when ticked you should get a set of bars on the right hand side of the screen when a 3d app or game is run full in full screen mode.
m
l
August 25, 2010 10:30:21 PM

ah ok
m
l
August 25, 2010 10:31:18 PM

There is a green bar on the side of my screen on 3d aps, so that means it's good to go?
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 25, 2010 10:32:52 PM

That shows that SLi is working OK but have the screen issues gone away or not?
m
l
August 25, 2010 10:36:50 PM

they have!
m
l

Best solution

a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 25, 2010 10:39:05 PM

Then it sounds like you have a faulty SLi bridge if the removal of and running without does the trick, it should run better if you can get a new one the works.
August 25, 2010 10:42:38 PM

so my frame rate will improve with another sli bridge? because theese cards are running about the same as my old graphics card was. but it is working atleast, and does the sli bridge need to be from my mobo manufacture or do I order one from a cpu store or newwegg?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 25, 2010 10:51:35 PM

Oldirty said:
so my frame rate will improve with another sli bridge? because theese cards are running about the same as my old graphics card was. but it is working atleast, and does the sli bridge need to be from my mobo manufacture or do I order one from a cpu store or newwegg?

They can be any brand but get a flexible one due to length.
m
l
August 25, 2010 10:52:34 PM

Best answer selected by Oldirty.
m
l
August 25, 2010 10:52:58 PM

Thank you very much everyone!
m
l
August 25, 2010 10:53:30 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Then it sounds like you have a faulty SLi bridge if the removal of and running without does the trick, it should run better if you can get a new one the works.

I meant that to be the best answer... lol
m
l
August 26, 2010 8:49:44 PM

I have an old cross fire bridge, I know it's ati... lol.. but do they work as an sli bridge? Never mind, found my answer..... google is my friend. lol
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 26, 2010 8:53:30 PM

Oldirty said:
I have an old cross fire bridge, I know it's ati... lol.. but do they work as an sli bridge?

I don't think they will, the last time I had an ATi bridge to compare with the connectors were different widths.
m
l
!