Automatically Launching Application after Logon

Hi,

The machine in question is in an unsupervised, Kiosk type environement. The
computer is a stand-alone XP pro. It reboots itself once a day. The OS
automatically logs on a user with limited permissions after each reboot. I
have put a shortcut of the application in the Startup folder of the user. So
far, so good...

The problem:
The app that's being auto-launched runs on a local instance of SQL engine
(MSDE). It sometimes happens that the SQL services have not had enough time
to initialize before the App is launched. So it fails.

How can I configure the app to launch after the SQL has initialized?

All I need is about 30 secs. Can I insert a wait period? Can I slave it to
SQL?

Thanks for your input,
1 answer Last reply
More about automatically launching application logon

    Give this VBScript a go.

    Option Explicit
    Dim objWMIService, colRunningServices, objService
    Dim oShell
    Do While servstate <> "Running"
    ' msgbox "not running"
    Wscript.Sleep 2000
    Loop

    Function servstate
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
    & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")

    Set colRunningServices = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * " _
    & "from Win32_Service Where DisplayName = 'MSSQLSERVER'")

    For Each objService in colRunningServices
    servstate = objService.State
    Next
    End Function
    Set oShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
    oShell.Run "E:\WINDOWS\system32\calc.exe"

    Set objWMIService = Nothing
    Set colRunningServices = Nothing
    Set oShell = Nothing

    (watch for line wrap)

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Tom Bombadill" wrote:
    | Hi,
    |
    | The machine in question is in an unsupervised, Kiosk type environement.
    The
    | computer is a stand-alone XP pro. It reboots itself once a day. The OS
    | automatically logs on a user with limited permissions after each reboot. I
    | have put a shortcut of the application in the Startup folder of the user.
    So
    | far, so good...
    |
    | The problem:
    | The app that's being auto-launched runs on a local instance of SQL engine
    | (MSDE). It sometimes happens that the SQL services have not had enough
    time
    | to initialize before the App is launched. So it fails.
    |
    | How can I configure the app to launch after the SQL has initialized?
    |
    | All I need is about 30 secs. Can I insert a wait period? Can I slave it to
    | SQL?
    |
    | Thanks for your input,

Configuration SQL Windows XP