Upgrading from core 2 quad q6600 @ 2 4 ghz 4gb ram

Solution
If you can overclock (not an OEM) an aftermarket cooler and run that q6600 up to 3+GHz. Anything else would be spending big bucks.
Go ahead and list your full system specs and what you use the computer for so we can give you better recommendation.
If you can overclock (not an OEM) an aftermarket cooler and run that q6600 up to 3+GHz. Anything else would be spending big bucks.
Go ahead and list your full system specs and what you use the computer for so we can give you better recommendation.

Solution

jkyano

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
I am in the process of doing just the same thing. I was agonizing over spending $$$ to upgrade to either the LGA1366/X58 or waiting a few weeks for the Sandy Bridge to come out and upgrading then. In the end I think what I really want is the LGA2011 so I can put in more ram with larger bandwidth (I do mostly photo/video editing). This means I will have to wait another 9 months or so for the LGA2011 (Q3/2011?) to come out. Ultimately I decided to upgrade my Q6600 system for the short term. For me one of the biggest improvements was buying a solid state drive. The system boots really quick now and the programs seem much speedier. Might also be the fresh install of Win7.

Loaded 64-bit Win7 Professional and all other programs (mostly Lightroom and Photoshop) on this:

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX90G 3.5" 90GB SATA II MLC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227601

And I bought a used processor (QX6850) and Nvidia 8800 GTX off ebay for around $200 and $67 respectively. I would have really liked to go with the QX9650 or QX9770, but those are both much more expensive than the $200 I spent on the QX6850. Hopefully these will boost the system a bit more.

Hope that helps,

Jason