Dual Channel Question

Charlemagne_3

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
If I have a motherboard with 4 ram slots and they are dual channel, does it make a difference if I use two different sets of dual channel ram? For example, if I had one set of dual channel corsair sticks, would it matter if I put two dual channel kingston sticks in the other slots? Or is it better to use the same exact sticks in all 4 slots?

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
It's not aesthetics. If the Kingston chips match the Corsair sticks in speed, voltage and timings, chances are there won't be a problem. If there is a voltage difference it is a problem, otherwise the MoBo BIOS will auto adjust to the lowest parameters and then you will have to fiddle around in BIOS to adjust things, maybe.

beenthere

Distinguished
Actually there might be a problem...

There is no guarantee that mixing of RAM or even adding identical DIMMs will function properly. Some times they do and some times they don't. Corsair has an RAM Upgrade Guide on their website where they discuss this and make it perfectly clear that even the identical DIMMs are not guaranteed to function properly unless bought as one matched, tested kit.

So when it comes to mixing RAM, especially DDR3 RAM which has higher frequences - it's a crap shoot. With RAM prices being so low right now I strongly recommend buying a matched, tested RAM kit so you don't have issues - but it's your money so do what makes you happy.

Charlemagne_3

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

well it is actually DDR2 ram and will be bought used. I dont realyl have the money to throw around on 4 gigs of matched sets when i have 2 gigs already. thats why im asking.