XPS M1530 Motherboard/GPU failing? Help!?!!

Kulthor

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
So, Yesterday I had my laptop in sleepmode for about 45 minutes.
I come back and try to power it back on and the screen stays black.
I then did diagnostic tests with holding down D and the power button which changed the the screen some different colors seemed to be fine but still when attempting to power on, the screen stayed powerless and you could hear the fan and the Hardrive. I tried hooking the system up to my tv with an hdmi cord but no luck.
This has happened before a little over a year ago and I had to get Dell to replace my motherboard at an expensive price. They gave me a year warranty after paying for the repair and of course that's gone now.
To the point, I did an FN + power diagnostic test to notice the num lock light blinking and the other two staying on if I remember right this is motherboard fail or something had disconnected from the motherboard.

I did notice one thing though that would happen when I left CPUID on when putting the laptop into sleep mode is that is would say the GPU temp would get 400+ C that's right Celsius... I assumed this was an error as a big temp like that would MELT everything around it including it! But I'm starting to think that the computer may have gotten really hot inside when putting it in sleep mode...

Any suggestions? :( Sending it back to dell and paying a nice 400+ dollars is not an option I don't have that kind of money... Please help!

nrk112

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

I am not 100% sure, but your nvidia chip is probably faulty. It is a 8600m right? I know for a fact the 8400m models were faulty and dying all over the place.

Unfortunately for you, you missed the deadline. There was a lawsuit against nvidia and all affected models were fixed free, even out of warranty.

http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/

They fixed my xps1330....

If you are capable I know they were selling replacement motherboards on ebay for about $100 for my model. It might be the route you want to go.

Kulthor

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Hey thanks bud!
Wow that's a shame... and it kinda angers me too because I had to pay dell 400$ when it was that exact poblem. :( Yep 8600m gt... Not really sure if I'll be buying from dell again if they're going to steal my money like that. I know it's Nvidias fault but dell could have easily informed me. :(
Also, good news! Last night I decided to take a hair dryer to the mother board and got it pretty hot.
It seems to be working for now but If I remember right, this is only a temporary fix...
It could last a few days up to months if I'm lucky I really need to get my hands on some cash though or I'm screwed. :( I'm 17 turning 18 in 12 days and have no way of getting a job even though I want too.
Everyone else is gone and it's just me and my two dogs here and I also take care of all the house work... If I wasn't here they'd be left alone for 12hrs a day and that just seems a little cruel to me and also the fact that they'd leave urine and feces all over the place. xD