Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ASUS P8P67 deluxe mystery

Last response: in Motherboards
September 2, 2011 3:59:57 AM

I'm now waiting for my 3rd ASUS P8P67 deluxe motherboard to arrive. Both the first two failed(????) exactly the same way. I've spent over 284 minutes on hold trying to discuss the problem, waited days for promised return calls that never came and talked to a level 2 tech for about 10 min before the call was dropped. Don't ask me about ASUS support.

The problem has occurred after about two days of installing Win 7 and assorted software. Both times I've gone into the "bios" to check some overclock settings and exited WITHOUT saving changes.

The system never gets as far as the slash screen. The codes displayed end on the second "06".

Since I've used the same CPU (i7) and other stuff on both mobos I don't think the problem is in the "stuff." I've popped the battery and hit the CMOS reset with no change in outcome.

Anyone have an idea of what might be going on????

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 223 V Motherboard
September 2, 2011 4:51:06 AM

What is the make and model number of your memory modules?

What is the make and model number of the power supply unit?

What is the series and model number of the Corsair SSD?
m
l
September 2, 2011 5:24:06 PM

The memory are Corsair "Vengeance" 8Gb (2x4Gb) 1600 Mhz

The Power supply is a Logisys Part number PS480D2 with a 480 total output. I've had the powersupply for about three years with no problems.

The Corsair SSD is the Force 3 120Gb

One other item I didn't mention, when the board hangs, the VGA led under the video card is on.

Thanks for any clues you can give me
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 223 V Motherboard
September 2, 2011 5:33:52 PM

What is the make and model number of the graphics card?
m
l
September 2, 2011 5:52:12 PM

It will be very helpful if you will post whole spec .

From what you've posted so far I would say that the PSU isn't good enough for this mobo and 2nd gen. i5 & i7.
I suggest 650+ Corsair or Antec .

Anyway , post the whole spec .
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 223 V Motherboard
September 2, 2011 6:17:38 PM

I'm willing to bet that the $12.99 Logisys PS480D2 power supply unit is responsible for all of your problems.

The PCIe ATI All-in-Wonder (AIW) cards that were available in 2005 were the All-in-Wonder X1800 XL introduced November 21, 2005, the All-in-Wonder 2006 introduced December 22, 2005, the All-in-Wonder X800 introduced September 9, 2004 and the All-in-Wonder X600 Pro introduced September 21, 2004. Which one do you have?
m
l
September 2, 2011 9:31:41 PM

I've replaced the All-in-Wonder 2006 with an ASUS GT520 Silent I'm not a gamer, but I will be doing some very serious photoshop type work on very large (250 Mb) photos that involve some pretty heavy CPU time thus the i7 2600K

I had wondered about the power supply, I'll make a run to Fry's and replace it with a Cooler Master Extreme 500Watt ATX 12V v2.03 which is on sale this week for $29.99 unless someone knows of something better that will last longer.

The first board failed with the All-in-Wonder, the second had the ASUS installed.
m
l
September 2, 2011 9:37:35 PM

pshemax said:
It will be very helpful if you will post whole spec .

From what you've posted so far I would say that the PSU isn't good enough for this mobo and 2nd gen. i5 & i7.
I suggest 650+ Corsair or Antec .

Anyway , post the whole spec .

Sorry, I'm a software guy and I'm not sure exactly what addtional spec you're looking for. I have a modem and additional USB board but the symptoms are there when the only thing installed is the video and the memory. I have a cooler master Centurian chase. Let me know what other info you might find helpful or if there are any steps I can run.

I just have a hard time understanding how the board is being blown on a reboot in exactly the same fashion. If it's having trouble with reading a mircosource code (what the manual say the Q 06 error code says) it would seem that there should be some way to reset things.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 223 V Motherboard
September 2, 2011 11:36:42 PM

The GeForce GT 520 is a low power graphics card.

For some reason you seem to like power supplies that are rated as junk.

None of the Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus power supply models have been able to pass a test review by a reputable power supply review site so you would be going from one bad power supply to another.

Don't skimp on your power supply. Stick with brands that have earned their reputation for good power supplies like Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, XFX.

A 400 Watt to 500 Watt power supply from the reputable brands I've mentioned should be all that you need.

There are other lesser brands that have the odd good model but the majority of their other models are utter crap.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 223 V Motherboard
September 2, 2011 11:43:28 PM

reb bacchus said:
I just have a hard time understanding how the board is being blown on a reboot in exactly the same fashion.

A power supply that has poor DC output quality (i.e. high electrical noise and ripple, poor transient response, poor voltage regulation) will actually destroy the capacitors on your system components (e.g. motherboard, graphics card, etc.) over time. It will also cause random Blue Screens of Death (BSODs).
m
l
September 2, 2011 11:58:30 PM

On the asus p8p67 there is a jumper on the bottom hand left side it has a "blue" plastic cover. Try jumping it that will erase everything and give you a second try. Just take it off put it on it covers 2 of 3. jump it to the right a notch and let it sit there for 10 seconds. then replace and try that.

but ya i think your ps is too small i just got asus p8p67 le and i have 780 watts no problems here.
m
l

Best solution

September 3, 2011 1:28:50 AM

reb bacchus said:
Sorry, I'm a software guy and I'm not sure exactly what addtional spec you're looking for. I have a modem and additional USB board but the symptoms are there when the only thing installed is the video and the memory. I have a cooler master Centurian chase. Let me know what other info you might find helpful or if there are any steps I can run.

I just have a hard time understanding how the board is being blown on a reboot in exactly the same fashion. If it's having trouble with reading a mircosource code (what the manual say the Q 06 error code says) it would seem that there should be some way to reset things.

That's ok , I had a closer look at you PSU and at this point I'm pretty sure that it's not good enough .
If I were you I would go for Corsair 650W . Or Antec 650 green .
It will be more then you need at the moment but it is worth to have good PSU for stability , especially when you are running i7 .
If you want to know what is your spec hardware manager is the right place to look . You can find there all info about your hardware including memory frequency , gpu , cpu , mobo .

Good Luck .
September 3, 2011 3:21:06 AM

I'm sold, I'm looking at the Antec High Current Gamer HCG-750 which seems to be a good buy locally right now. I've got fairly dirty power out here in the country, but I've got some pretty good power conditioners on my in lines.

I'm looking for that jumper that was mentioned. I just don't know that the board is actually blown. I haven't mentioned it but I've also put a Zalman CNPS9700 LED CPU Cooler on the system after the first board died. I will print out my hardward specs once I've got my system working, just to have them on hand.
m
l
September 10, 2011 12:08:46 AM

Best answer selected by reb bacchus.
m
l
!