First graphics card in 7 years (2 choices)

muckle

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Ok so here's my situation - getting an HP b/c I have the hookup with employee discount- and my budget is around $1000. I want to maximize performance, obviously... Here's the process and RAM:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-860 quad-core processor [2.8GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache

6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs] from 4GB

Now, I am looking at the 1.8GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260 and the 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5770.

I know they're already outdated, but they are the best two choices within the options I have. I have read lots of conflicting reports between the two... It seems that the nvidia card is a little faster but the ati has dx11.... Which I'm not sure if I even care about. By the way this is pretty much purely for gaming. I've read lots of old posts but I figure now that both cards have been out a while some people can provide some advice based on their track records

redechelon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009

You're pretty accurate, generally the 260 Core 216 is slllightly faster, but like you said... 5770 has DX11. DX11 hasn't been necessary and isn't necessary right now, but depending on how long you're planning on keeping this computer, it would be wise to have a more useful card in the years to come. You would be very disappointed if you learned that in 1-2 years a game that you loved came out with DX11, and you couldn't support it. In my opinion, the very small difference in performance isn't worth as much to me.

EDIT: Oh, and I used to have a 5770 and it's an amazing card. It's been overclocked for over a year, my friend has it now and it's still a real solid card as everyone will tell you. So is the 260, so you can't really go wrong. It all boils down to preference... do you want raw power, a longer useful life, do you care about power consumption, etc.

muckle

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

Frustratingly I can't tell. This is the more 'detailed' description HP provides: "

FEATURES: 1.8GB dedicated video memory. Connectors/ports: 2 DVI-I (one dual-link, one single-link), VGA adapter, HDMI adapter. Supports DirectX(R) 10. BENEFITS: Top-line performance. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Special Edition graphics card with 1.8GB DDR3 dedicated graphics memory, and support for Bluray playback and Microsoft(R) DirectX(R) 10"

Helltech

Distinguished
I think only the Core 216 version has a 1.8Gb of ram, but I can't remember to be honest.

Is the motherboard your getting SLI or Crossfire compatible? I doubt it... but it would help make a descion.

I think I'd probably just go with the 5770, even though its not as good.

muckle

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
It's been so long since i've made such a decision, i'm relearning everything. (currently i'm rockin a radeon 9700 pro).

I understand the future proofing aspect the 5770 may have with dx11, because I do plan on getting considerable mileage out of this rig, but how long will it really be before games require it? the 260 seems to outperform it in most benchmarks i've seen... oh decisions.

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Well to be quite honest, It'll be outpaced in a year by new versions of games similar to crisis IMO. You will still however be able to get decent frame-rates at lower settings, I.E medium.

If you can supply a model number we may be able to be more helpful to you.

As for 260 Vs 5770, I'd go for 5770 cause of Dx11 and Good performance overall.

muckle

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
so the consensus seems to be that it's worth taking the hit in speed over the 260 for the dx11 capability of the 5770, for the most part??

i would think that it will take years - 2? 3? before games require dx11. unless i'm totally off.

i'm all about speed/performance. now if that speed means its gonna live fast and die young, i'd consider the 5770 as the wiser choice. i just dont know.

here's some more info:

motherboard: MS-7613

i dont friggin know it's on HP's web site they don't get very detailed.

redechelon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Well DX11 might not be REQUIRED for a few years, yes... but already there are games out that benefit from it. It also depends on what games you play, really. And if the game does support it, are you willing to play it on DX10 or something?

Honestly, I don't think you'd notice a difference in performance between the two cards...

I'm also curious as to how much this PC costs you, even with a discount compared to a custom built PC with more focus on the GPU. Perhaps you could create a build with more emphasis on certain areas you actually care about. For example... getting a GTX 460 =]

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
That is one AWFUL looking motherboard, Even my M4A77TD PRO looks to have more features than that one, as for the 5770, I'd go with the consensus, and with any luck you will be upgrading your graphics card in a year to a nice new 6xxx Series :) or maybe nVidia will be due out with there 5xx series?

Dane Bouwer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
to be honest, why not go for more of a top end graphics card, with such a great cpu and great ram speeds, what you should do is overclock the cpu just a bit and go for a better GPU, in the 400 series at least, what is your budget? i would recommend the GTX 460 MSI cyclone!!! 1 Gb 256 bit!!! great card and not that more expensive than the GTX 260 but with much better performance and Direct x 11!!!

I totally agree with redechelon, GTX 460 will be my choice!!

Have you considered building a computer yourself rather than buying an HP? It will be cheaper and you will end up with a system built from higher quality components. It's not as hard as you might think, even if you have done it in the past. Over the last 5 years or so they have really streamlined the process to the point that my girlfriend watched me build one recently(knows nothing about computers) and said afterward she could have done it easily. Basically if you can plug in cables/card, use a screwdriver and follow simple instructions you can do it. A factor to consider here as well is overclocking. That processor is wasted at the stock speed and an HP will not allow you to overclock.
But anyway, definitely the HD5770. Most of the reviews your are seeing with the GTX 260 beating the HD5770 are likely from when the card first came out and was on early drivers. Since then the performance of the cards has pretty much evened up. Also on top of DX11 it will also give you support for 3 monitors, more current A/V features and uses significantly less power, especially at idle.
That said you most likely be better off getting the system with neither card if you do go for an HP. Buying the card separately afterward and installing it yourself will almost definitely save you money.

muckle

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

Thx for the responses everyone even though now I'm even more undecided... What makes the MB so terrible??

And If I did say ok the hell with HP, keeping in mind I'm coming in under 1000 with the above mentioned proc and RAM Nd one of these 2 cards can someone throw together a parts list from newegg or something??

That's a question to take to the "new build" forum.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Another idea is to go with integrated graphics and buy a graphics card after you get the computer. I'm sure HP charges a pretty penny for their OEM versions of the cards and out of everything to upgrade in a computer, the Graphics card is very very easy to do. (So is the PSU, if you have to do that as well...)

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Ok, I'd Advise THIS combo with THIS graphics card and some mushkin ram for a grand total of 1011.94, Keeping in mind theres about 30$ or more worth of rebates to mail in.

System Specifications:

Case: Thermaltake VL90001W2Z
Motherboard: MSI P55-GD80
Power-supply: OCZ Technology OCZ700SXS2 ~ 700w 80+ certified PSU
Processor: Intel BX80605I5750 ~ Core i5
Hard-Drive: Seagate ST31500341AS ~ 1TB HDD
DVD-Combo Drive: Lite-On iHAS424-98
Ram: 2x Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 2GB DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Graphics: MSI R5850 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

EDIT: Took a while building the list so didn't see the mod comment.

EDIT2: Here's my improved build in the Homebuilt Systems forum, however you may prefer THW's $1000 gaming system that can be found on the main page....