Sign in with
Your question

Asus P8Z68-V Pro: Important information if you own this board

Last response: in Motherboards
September 2, 2011 5:21:17 AM

Whatever you know about the Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard, which will be helpful to others, please post it in this thread. Here's something that I learned:

The TPU and EPU features cause instability when enabled at the same time.
In addition, the EPU has a BIOS setting that can be enabled, even when the physical switch is off.
September 3, 2011 11:54:23 AM

Sorry got no info on mobo but thinking about using this model for a mid range build. Would be nice to see some feedback on this thread.
m
l
September 6, 2011 4:05:23 PM

I've been happy with it for the most part. Some things I like about it are the power and reset buttons right on the mobo. That's handy for a first time builder. Also has all the connections I needed except PS/2. (Does have 1394, USB 2 & 3, etc...) One thing to be aware of is the right angle SATA ports actually make it more difficult with my particular set-up, mainly because the power chords get routed right next to the mobo, right in front of the SATA ports. If they didn't have the extra right-angle connectors (which I realize some view as a value add), it would actually be much easier for me to connect to. My case is the Antec 900. If you have a case with a lower exit point for the power chords it may be a non-issue for you.
m
l
December 6, 2011 12:34:17 AM

I have this motherboard with a 2500K, 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM, Antec Earthwatts Green 650 PSU, Samsung 7200 RPM HDD - in a Fractal Design Arc Midi case. I just assembled my system this last weekend. I am quite pleased with it so far; I was a little nervous about purchasing this motherboard, even though it had ~250 reviews and 4 eggs on NewEgg, I was thinking that I would be in the minority that would just get a bad board or something.

The TPU/EPU switches: These are supposed to come with the switch in the "Off" position, but the TPU was enabled, either from the factory or I might have bumped it when I was attempting to finesse the retention bracket onto the Hyper 212+ cooler. I didn't know it was on, until I ran Prime95, and monitoring with CoreTemp I noticed right away that the frequency jumped up to ~4.3 GHZ. I actually kind of like the "automatic overclock", because this is my very first build, and I am wary about manually tweaking the voltage, etc. I wonder about a couple of things, though. The BIOS raises the Turbo limit on the CPU when the TPU switch is flipped, without having to do anything else, that much is clear, but is the increased Turbo limit always the same amount, for anybody, that is, is it preset from the factory, or does the BIOS scan the CPU operation and determine an optimal high turbo setting? Are there fail safes built into the automatic turbo boost? The only other thing I did in EZ Mode was to click the "Optimized Defaults" setting.

Now, the EPU switch is off, and I haven't turned it on yet, as I am not sure what it will do; wouldn't the two automated functions fight against each other?

Anyway, I am pretty happy with the board, no issues at all each time I power the system up, so all is good.
m
l
!