Sign in with
Your question

Cloning Partition to a SSD same capacity

Last response: in Storage
January 17, 2013 7:10:53 PM

What is the best cloning software. I have a SLOW Apple 500GB HD and bought a 512GB Cructial SSD drive. I can NOT get it to work using Carbon Copy Cloner. Any Ideas of a better way to achieve this?
a b G Storage
January 17, 2013 9:29:00 PM

acoupla questions

1 - a SLOW Apple HDD, was that always slow?
2 - can NOT get it to work, as in?
m
l
Related resources
January 18, 2013 12:16:19 AM

blackmancer said:
acoupla questions

1 - a SLOW Apple HDD, was that always slow? Yes it is the 5400 rpm 500 gb drive that came in early 2011 MacBookPros.
When I have used the carbon copy cloner in the past it has perfectly coppied everything. I then swap the SSd with the Hdd and restart for a perfect twin.

Now when I clone everything as a drive and swap to the computer it will not book or work.
C
m
l
a b G Storage
January 18, 2013 3:16:55 AM

have you run a file system check on both drives to correct any possible errors? try that and retry.

I have used a program called norton ghost in the past, it has been excellent. not sure if you can acquire a free copy freely. but if you search you might find a copy you can use somewhere, e.g. some kind of Hirens CD or Ultimate Boot CD, they usually have disk copiers on them.
m
l
January 24, 2013 11:22:01 PM

blackmancer said:
acoupla questions

1 - a SLOW Apple HDD, was that always slow? This is in a MACBOOK PRO which has Intel I7 2.0 chip. When I use it with an external SSD back up drive it zips photoshop and all functions. Since it is a Basic Toshiba 500 GB internal 2.5" 5400 RPM HD it operates about 10% the speed of an SSD drive, so I thought why not buy a SSD drive for my internal drive to gain speed.
I can not get the Critical (Brand) 512 SSD drive to boot as an internal drive. That is what I was hoping to get either a piece of software that clones drive to make them perfect and clone all current information to the ssd drive. Replace the slow HD drive with the fast SSD drive and have an improved Apple MacIntosh laptop computer.

I can pay for the software or get it free that does not matter I was hoping to get advise as to some that does work with APPLE products.
m
l
!