Dual Processor Recognition

I think this is a basic question. I have a Dell Workstation that has dual
Xeon processors. I recently had to re-install Windows XP. I thought I
previously had to do something with the XP configuation for it to properly
recognize both processors. Is this the case? How can I tell if XP is
recognizing both processors? I want to make sure it is taking full advantage
of both processors. If anyone knows, please advise. Thank you!
8 answers Last reply
More about dual processor recognition

    Mike Haddon escreveu:
    > I think this is a basic question. I have a Dell Workstation that has dual
    > Xeon processors. I recently had to re-install Windows XP. I thought I
    > previously had to do something with the XP configuation for it to properly
    > recognize both processors. Is this the case? How can I tell if XP is
    > recognizing both processors? I want to make sure it is taking full advantage
    > of both processors. If anyone knows, please advise. Thank you!
    -----
    Open "Device Manager" and se if The Porcessor is listed twice.
    ----
    zerof

    if there are dual processors, i would think it would be listed 4 times due
    to hyperthreading
    i have a server with dual xeon and 4 are listed in device manager

    "zerof" <zerof@terra.com.br> wrote in message
    > Mike Haddon escreveu:
    >> I think this is a basic question. I have a Dell Workstation that has
    >> dual Xeon processors. I recently had to re-install Windows XP. I
    >> thought I previously had to do something with the XP configuation for it
    >> to properly recognize both processors. Is this the case? How can I tell
    >> if XP is recognizing both processors? I want to make sure it is taking
    >> full advantage of both processors. If anyone knows, please advise.
    >> Thank you!
    > -----
    > Open "Device Manager" and se if The Porcessor is listed twice.
    > ----
    > zerof

    Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del)

    Look on the Performance tab, it will show two proceesors.

    XP Setup should have recognised the dual proc configuration and installed
    the SMP HAL.

    Regards
    Mark Dormer

    "Mike Haddon" <MikeHaddon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I think this is a basic question. I have a Dell Workstation that has dual
    > Xeon processors. I recently had to re-install Windows XP. I thought I
    > previously had to do something with the XP configuation for it to properly
    > recognize both processors. Is this the case? How can I tell if XP is
    > recognizing both processors? I want to make sure it is taking full
    > advantage
    > of both processors. If anyone knows, please advise. Thank you!

    Mark,
    I too am showing four processors on my Dual Xeon Workstation and two system
    boards (in Device Manager) after installing a new primary hard drive and
    reinstalling everything. However, when I went to Task Manager, it only showed
    one CPU window. Do I need to do a complete reinstall? Everything seems to be
    working fine, but I don't want to go through reinstalling all of my software
    and then have something go wrong due to this problem.

    Thanks,
    Diana

    "Mark Dormer" wrote:

    > Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del)
    >
    > Look on the Performance tab, it will show two proceesors.
    >
    > XP Setup should have recognised the dual proc configuration and installed
    > the SMP HAL.
    >
    > Regards
    > Mark Dormer
    >
    > "Mike Haddon" <MikeHaddon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I think this is a basic question. I have a Dell Workstation that has dual
    > > Xeon processors. I recently had to re-install Windows XP. I thought I
    > > previously had to do something with the XP configuation for it to properly
    > > recognize both processors. Is this the case? How can I tell if XP is
    > > recognizing both processors? I want to make sure it is taking full
    > > advantage
    > > of both processors. If anyone knows, please advise. Thank you!

    Task Manager>>Performance>>View>>CPU History>>
    make sure "One Graph per CPU" is selected

    "Diana Prince" <Diana Prince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Mark,
    > I too am showing four processors on my Dual Xeon Workstation and two
    system
    > boards (in Device Manager) after installing a new primary hard drive and
    > reinstalling everything. However, when I went to Task Manager, it only
    showed
    > one CPU window. Do I need to do a complete reinstall? Everything seems to
    be
    > working fine, but I don't want to go through reinstalling all of my
    software
    > and then have something go wrong due to this problem.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Diana
    >
    > "Mark Dormer" wrote:
    >
    > > Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del)
    > >
    > > Look on the Performance tab, it will show two proceesors.
    > >
    > > XP Setup should have recognised the dual proc configuration and
    installed
    > > the SMP HAL.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Mark Dormer
    > >
    > > "Mike Haddon" <MikeHaddon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I think this is a basic question. I have a Dell Workstation that has
    dual
    > > > Xeon processors. I recently had to re-install Windows XP. I thought
    > > > previously had to do something with the XP configuation for it to
    properly
    > > > recognize both processors. Is this the case? How can I tell if XP is
    > > > recognizing both processors? I want to make sure it is taking full
    > > > advantage
    > > > of both processors. If anyone knows, please advise. Thank you!

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    When I made that selection, it showed 4 CPUs. What now?
    Diana

    "V Green" wrote:

    > Task Manager>>Performance>>View>>CPU History>>
    > make sure "One Graph per CPU" is selected
    >

    > "Diana Prince" <Diana Prince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Mark,
    > > I too am showing four processors on my Dual Xeon Workstation and two
    > system
    > > boards (in Device Manager) after installing a new primary hard drive and
    > > reinstalling everything. However, when I went to Task Manager, it only
    > showed
    > > one CPU window. Do I need to do a complete reinstall? Everything seems to
    > be
    > > working fine, but I don't want to go through reinstalling all of my
    > software
    > > and then have something go wrong due to this problem.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Diana
    > >
    > > "Mark Dormer" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del)
    > > >
    > > > Look on the Performance tab, it will show two proceesors.
    > > >
    > > > XP Setup should have recognised the dual proc configuration and
    > installed
    > > > the SMP HAL.
    > > >
    > > > Regards
    > > > Mark Dormer
    > > >
    > > > "Mike Haddon" <MikeHaddon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > dual
    > properly

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    > When I made that selection, it showed 4 CPUs. What now?
    > Diana

    Then you are good to go ;-)

    Nothing is wrong, HT procs appear as two logical
    processors. Since you have two PHYSICAL procs,
    TM shows four. If you had seen some other number,
    then you would have had a problem to solve.

    > "V Green" wrote:
    >
    > > Task Manager>>Performance>>View>>CPU History>>
    > > make sure "One Graph per CPU" is selected
    > >

    > > "Diana Prince" <Diana Prince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Mark,
    > > > I too am showing four processors on my Dual Xeon Workstation and two
    > > system
    > > > boards (in Device Manager) after installing a new primary hard drive
    and
    > > > reinstalling everything. However, when I went to Task Manager, it only
    > > showed
    > > > one CPU window. Do I need to do a complete reinstall? Everything seems
    > > be
    > > > working fine, but I don't want to go through reinstalling all of my
    > > software
    > > > and then have something go wrong due to this problem.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Diana

    > > installed

    > > dual
    > > properly
    XP is

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Thank you so much! What a relief!
    Diana

    "V Green" wrote:

    > "Diana Prince" <DianaPrince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I made that selection, it showed 4 CPUs. What now?
    > > Diana
    >
    > Then you are good to go ;-)
    >
    > Nothing is wrong, HT procs appear as two logical
    > processors. Since you have two PHYSICAL procs,
    > TM shows four. If you had seen some other number,
    > then you would have had a problem to solve.
    >

    > > "V Green" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Task Manager>>Performance>>View>>CPU History>>
    > > > make sure "One Graph per CPU" is selected
    > > >

    > > > "Diana Prince" <Diana Prince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > system
    > and
    > > > showed
    > > > be
    > > > software

    > > > installed

    > message
    > has
    > > > dual
    > thought
    > > > properly
    > XP is
    > full

Configuration Dual Processor Processors Windows XP