Dual Processor Recognition

August 31, 2005 12:57:45 PM

I think this is a basic question. I have a Dell Workstation that has dual
Xeon processors. I recently had to re-install Windows XP. I thought I
previously had to do something with the XP configuation for it to properly
recognize both processors. Is this the case? How can I tell if XP is
recognizing both processors? I want to make sure it is taking full advantage
of both processors. If anyone knows, please advise. Thank you!
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 6:08:12 PM

Mike Haddon escreveu:
> I think this is a basic question. I have a Dell Workstation that has dual
> Xeon processors. I recently had to re-install Windows XP. I thought I
> previously had to do something with the XP configuation for it to properly
> recognize both processors. Is this the case? How can I tell if XP is
> recognizing both processors? I want to make sure it is taking full advantage
> of both processors. If anyone knows, please advise. Thank you!
-----
Open "Device Manager" and se if The Porcessor is listed twice.
----
zerof
August 31, 2005 7:42:59 PM

if there are dual processors, i would think it would be listed 4 times due
to hyperthreading
i have a server with dual xeon and 4 are listed in device manager

"zerof" <zerof@terra.com.br> wrote in message
news:o 7JmK6krFHA.2596@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Mike Haddon escreveu:
>> I think this is a basic question. I have a Dell Workstation that has
>> dual Xeon processors. I recently had to re-install Windows XP. I
>> thought I previously had to do something with the XP configuation for it
>> to properly recognize both processors. Is this the case? How can I tell
>> if XP is recognizing both processors? I want to make sure it is taking
>> full advantage of both processors. If anyone knows, please advise.
>> Thank you!
> -----
> Open "Device Manager" and se if The Porcessor is listed twice.
> ----
> zerof
September 2, 2005 2:10:38 AM

Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del)

Look on the Performance tab, it will show two proceesors.

XP Setup should have recognised the dual proc configuration and installed
the SMP HAL.

Regards
Mark Dormer

"Mike Haddon" <MikeHaddon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I think this is a basic question. I have a Dell Workstation that has dual
> Xeon processors. I recently had to re-install Windows XP. I thought I
> previously had to do something with the XP configuation for it to properly
> recognize both processors. Is this the case? How can I tell if XP is
> recognizing both processors? I want to make sure it is taking full
> advantage
> of both processors. If anyone knows, please advise. Thank you!
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 11:42:01 PM

Mark,
I too am showing four processors on my Dual Xeon Workstation and two system
boards (in Device Manager) after installing a new primary hard drive and
reinstalling everything. However, when I went to Task Manager, it only showed
one CPU window. Do I need to do a complete reinstall? Everything seems to be
working fine, but I don't want to go through reinstalling all of my software
and then have something go wrong due to this problem.

Thanks,
Diana

"Mark Dormer" wrote:

> Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del)
>
> Look on the Performance tab, it will show two proceesors.
>
> XP Setup should have recognised the dual proc configuration and installed
> the SMP HAL.
>
> Regards
> Mark Dormer
>
> "Mike Haddon" <MikeHaddon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I think this is a basic question. I have a Dell Workstation that has dual
> > Xeon processors. I recently had to re-install Windows XP. I thought I
> > previously had to do something with the XP configuation for it to properly
> > recognize both processors. Is this the case? How can I tell if XP is
> > recognizing both processors? I want to make sure it is taking full
> > advantage
> > of both processors. If anyone knows, please advise. Thank you!

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 12:36:05 AM

Task Manager>>Performance>>View>>CPU History>>
make sure "One Graph per CPU" is selected

"Diana Prince" <Diana Prince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 9E6868C-984C-4ED7-B071-A10ACCA5A06F@microsoft.com...
> Mark,
> I too am showing four processors on my Dual Xeon Workstation and two
system
> boards (in Device Manager) after installing a new primary hard drive and
> reinstalling everything. However, when I went to Task Manager, it only
showed
> one CPU window. Do I need to do a complete reinstall? Everything seems to
be
> working fine, but I don't want to go through reinstalling all of my
software
> and then have something go wrong due to this problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Diana
>
> "Mark Dormer" wrote:
>
> > Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del)
> >
> > Look on the Performance tab, it will show two proceesors.
> >
> > XP Setup should have recognised the dual proc configuration and
installed
> > the SMP HAL.
> >
> > Regards
> > Mark Dormer
> >
> > "Mike Haddon" <MikeHaddon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I think this is a basic question. I have a Dell Workstation that has
dual
> > > Xeon processors. I recently had to re-install Windows XP. I thought
> > > previously had to do something with the XP configuation for it to
properly
> > > recognize both processors. Is this the case? How can I tell if XP is
> > > recognizing both processors? I want to make sure it is taking full
> > > advantage
> > > of both processors. If anyone knows, please advise. Thank you!

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 12:39:06 PM

When I made that selection, it showed 4 CPUs. What now?
Diana

"V Green" wrote:

> Task Manager>>Performance>>View>>CPU History>>
> make sure "One Graph per CPU" is selected
>

> "Diana Prince" <Diana Prince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 9E6868C-984C-4ED7-B071-A10ACCA5A06F@microsoft.com...
> > Mark,
> > I too am showing four processors on my Dual Xeon Workstation and two
> system
> > boards (in Device Manager) after installing a new primary hard drive and
> > reinstalling everything. However, when I went to Task Manager, it only
> showed
> > one CPU window. Do I need to do a complete reinstall? Everything seems to
> be
> > working fine, but I don't want to go through reinstalling all of my
> software
> > and then have something go wrong due to this problem.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Diana
> >
> > "Mark Dormer" wrote:
> >
> > > Open Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del)
> > >
> > > Look on the Performance tab, it will show two proceesors.
> > >
> > > XP Setup should have recognised the dual proc configuration and
> installed
> > > the SMP HAL.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Mark Dormer
> > >
> > > "Mike Haddon" <MikeHaddon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> dual
> properly

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 9:48:01 PM

> When I made that selection, it showed 4 CPUs. What now?
> Diana

Then you are good to go ;-)

Nothing is wrong, HT procs appear as two logical
processors. Since you have two PHYSICAL procs,
TM shows four. If you had seen some other number,
then you would have had a problem to solve.

> "V Green" wrote:
>
> > Task Manager>>Performance>>View>>CPU History>>
> > make sure "One Graph per CPU" is selected
> >

> > "Diana Prince" <Diana Prince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:D 9E6868C-984C-4ED7-B071-A10ACCA5A06F@microsoft.com...
> > > Mark,
> > > I too am showing four processors on my Dual Xeon Workstation and two
> > system
> > > boards (in Device Manager) after installing a new primary hard drive
and
> > > reinstalling everything. However, when I went to Task Manager, it only
> > showed
> > > one CPU window. Do I need to do a complete reinstall? Everything seems
> > be
> > > working fine, but I don't want to go through reinstalling all of my
> > software
> > > and then have something go wrong due to this problem.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Diana

> > installed

> > dual