Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Mobo standoff alignment problem

Last response: in Motherboards
September 2, 2011 8:44:42 AM

My m/atx mobo does not fit over the standoffs picutred in the diagram inside the Cooler Master Storm Scout case, the mobo is about an inch away from the two standoffs... Is it ok to only use the ones that it does fit or what should I do?
a c 229 V Motherboard
September 2, 2011 2:07:13 PM

It's fine. The case can also be used with a larger ATX motherboard that requires the additional standoffs.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 2, 2011 2:16:27 PM

REMOVE/MOVE ALL the unmatched standoffs!!! I guarantee a short unless the standoffs perfectly match-up with the MOBO screw holes. Most any 'good' case has removable/movable standoffs. In the 'cheap' case instance where there are 'fake' standoffs i.e. punch-outs use 2-3 layers of electrical tape to insulate the MOBO.

The COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP appears to have movable standoffs and supports: Micro ATX / ATX MOBOs.
m
l
Related resources
a c 229 V Motherboard
September 2, 2011 2:25:12 PM

I thought that the standoffs the OP referred to were outside of the motherboard area. If that's the case, then they don't have to be removed. If they are under the motherboard and they don't line up with a hole, then they obviously have to be removed.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 2, 2011 2:35:23 PM

Q - would you leave them sitting there in your build or remove them. Worst is 'covering' a standoff with it 'digging' into your MOBO.

Best = 100% alignment and Remove unused standoffs. On the CM they unscrew in seconds...
m
l
a c 229 V Motherboard
September 2, 2011 3:31:45 PM

My approach is slightly different. Unless they can cause an issue, I usually leave them screwed in not to lose them.
m
l

Best solution

a c 716 V Motherboard
September 2, 2011 3:42:22 PM

A short will change your mind very quickly. My builds are very clean. BTW - scars from stand-offs in black case - use a Sharpie pen.

Frankly, maybe overkill but I add a thin plastic washer on the tops of the standoffs secured by a dab of silicone. Reduces noise and reduces the possibility of any shorting. Once you build a lot of PCs you tend to get habits to avoid or enhance the build. Similarly, I never squirt-out Thermal Paste and dump on the HSF/Block; I always 100% of the time spread the Thermal Paste/Compound with a 'credit card' to insure 100% coverage with no bubbles. ETC...IMO good habits all add up.
September 2, 2011 4:00:32 PM

It doesn't take a lot of standoffs to support a motherboard. In the old days when we used a lot of expansion cards you had to be careful to have enough in the area where the cards plugged in so you didn't break a motherboard while seating cards, but nowadays most people don't have many cards plugged in. OTOH nowadays sometimes we have huge heat sinks hanging off the motherboard and so you need to have enough standoffs in that area. You might get by with just 4 standoffs depending on how they are arranged.

As mentioned before I wouldn't let an uninsulated standoff touch a motherboard in a place where it wasn't supposed to.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 2, 2011 4:13:04 PM

Some HSF and GPUs can tear-off the PCIe slots or crack the MOBO. It's best to have them ALL installed. Example if upon installing a GPU the MOBO bends - 1. poorly seated GPU which may not work or later exhibit problems; 2. you micro fracture the layered MOBO.

Granted in the 'good olde days' of onboard GPU and stock HSF there was no weight.

Now crazy 5.25# GPUs like ASUS MARS 2 Dual GTX 580 http://www.asusrog.com/MARSII/ there's not enough standoffs!
m
l
September 9, 2011 10:29:35 AM

Thanks to all, my first build, I had thought the diagram included with the case was to be used for the standoffs exact position--diagram was correct, I simply had to place the standoffs using the pattern but aligned to the motherboard holes themselves - not the diagram holes on the pattern...Thanks for all the tips, one can never learn enough, appreciation to all.
m
l
September 9, 2011 10:40:01 AM

remember to give a best answer :) 
m
l
September 16, 2011 9:49:54 AM

Best answer selected by bonehead007.
m
l
September 16, 2011 9:54:40 AM

jaquith said:
A short will change your mind very quickly. My builds are very clean. BTW - scars from stand-offs in black case - use a Sharpie pen.

Frankly, maybe overkill but I add a thin plastic washer on the tops of the standoffs secured by a dab of silicone. Reduces noise and reduces the possibility of any shorting. Once you build a lot of PCs you tend to get habits to avoid or enhance the build. Similarly, I never squirt-out Thermal Paste and dump on the HSF/Block; I always 100% of the time spread the Thermal Paste/Compound with a 'credit card' to insure 100% coverage with no bubbles. ETC...IMO good habits all add up.

Great answer and info to boot.. My first time with a complete build, it powered up ok, but lacks sound in the post, faulty speaker or connected wrong, everything else seems to run fine. Thanks for the help. ;) 
m
l
!