Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer wont boot without HDD eventhough OS installed on SSD

Last response: in Storage
January 17, 2013 8:13:05 PM

I have 2 drives. A 120gb SSD and 500 GB HDD. When i first got my computer I installed windows 7 on my SSD. After some time i realized that my windows wont boot unless both hard drives are plugged in. As if half of the windows 7 got installed on the other drives even though that drive is completely empty except for pictures and songs and such. Well this was not such a big deal until today when me 500 GB hard drive failed. Now my windows wont boot from the SSD where it is installed and just says load proper boot device. I have a usb with windows 7 on it and i could reformat my drive with a fresh install but I really dont want to do that because i really need my data. Is there any way to fix this. I'm positive 100% of the windows 7 was installed on the SSD but it wont boot without my HDD for some reason

TL;DR Computer wont boot without HDD even though OS installed on SSD.
January 17, 2013 8:19:43 PM

also i dont know if this help but my hdd started clicking ALOT before it failed
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 17, 2013 9:22:56 PM

this happens sometimes when you have more than 1 drive plugged in when installing windows. your solution will probably be in running a repair install from the Windows disc
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 17, 2013 9:45:36 PM

If you had both drives connected while installing Windows, it copied MBR files to both drives. Try a repair, but it's possible you're going to have to reload Windows. Make sure only the SSD is plugged into the motherboard when you install the OS. Once the OS install is complete, wipe the HDD and then plug it back in. You may need to initialize the disk, but it should be viewable at that point.
m
l
April 22, 2013 1:22:22 AM

blackmancer said:
this happens sometimes when you have more than 1 drive plugged in when installing windows. your solution will probably be in running a repair install from the Windows disc

I have almost this exact same problem (except my HDD was faulty out of the box) When I put in the windows 8 disk it says it cannot as my SSD needs to be "unlocked" however works completely fine when I have my faulty HDD in (aside form the fact that it doesn't pick up)
would you happen to know anything about that?
Thanks
m
l
October 30, 2013 4:23:32 PM

blackmancer said:

I have the same problem, but what should i do with the repair install?
I have 2 options, the first is to repair the start up BUT then i need to load drivers?? I mean what drivers? i could go browse into my pc but what drivers should i load?

+ second option doesn't work if my hdd isn't connected

m
l
!