Can I install Windows XP on SSD and leave Win8 on the HHD?

N2Happy

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I love Win XP but when I purchased a new PC it had Win 8 which is confusing to me but like some of the upgraded features. Can I install XP on the SSD for most of my use but boot Win 8 when I want to use its features?

I have an Intel (R) Core i3-3220 CPU @ 3030GJz
8.00GB RAM
64-bit OS x64-based processor

I'm new at this so please be gentle.

If you are getting a SSD for Windows XP it will have to be either a Kingston with built in TRIM or a Intel with a external program to run TRIM on demand, otherwise you will find that your SSD will suddenly slow down after you have been using it for a while.
You should be alright with drivers for XP, but you won't know until you try it.

N2Happy

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I do not have a Windows 8 disk, it was loaded on the PC at the factory. On my other PC I had 2 hard drives both with XP OS installed and I also had Linus. I could boot any OS I cared to. With another drive, it would seem that I should be able to do the same with this computer.

If I loaded the SSD with XP from my older PC then installed the drive in this one with Windows 8, wouldn't it work for dual booting?

Gswiss

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010

Sorry eggbrook, you're very mistaken. ASUS, which are one of the best Motherboard makers in the business, have XP drivers for ALL their MB's, including the latest P9xx model (socket 2011). Furthermore, please note that as at August 1st, 36% of PC users worlwide were using XP!

When creating a dual boot system using all windows OS's, they need installed in order from oldest to newest, so XP will need to be installed first, then win 8. There are ways around this, but there are already plenty of posts related to this topic. Just do a search in the forums for dual boot or multi boot.