Strange!!! PC won\'t Power UP when CMOS cell is installed.

binnx1

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Hi!

I just upgraded my system to
Core i5 2400
Intel DH67BL Board
Corsair 4GBx2 Vengeance RAM
GTS 450 1GB DDR 5 Card
and Standard 2 SATA Drives
450W PSU + CM case

For a week it was working fine, today suddenly my PC turned off instantly and didn't booted up.

I'd checked everything, When I plugged the Power Cable the PSU + Light on Motherboard Lights up but on pressing power button nothing happens.

Atlast I found the cause, I removed the CMOS Cell and PC starts normally with the warning CMOS cell removed. But when I inserted back the cell after clearing the BIOS again same problem occurs. I'd tried changing the cell also but again same problem.

What can be faulty, In my life I'd never seen such kind of problem. Please help me, I want to figure out what can be faulty??

Regards
Binny

Welcome to Toms Forum! :)

Well if the CMOS contacts aren't properly aligned aka positive & negative shorting then it's the same as booting while performing a 'Clear CMOS'. The solution is to examine the contacts carefully and 'bend' them back properly. Otherwise if there's no short ANYWHERE then the MOBO is defective.

IMO - IF needed do a full minimal Breadboard before sending components back. i.e. removal of MOBO from case, no USB/FT Headers, stock HSF, etc.

binnx1

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Thanks for the reply,

I'd just checked the connections, they are not short, I'd checked with Multimeter also. I'd already tried removing all components, Just plugged the power cable with plain Mobo+CPU.

When Battery Installed No any Power to system, tried shortening Power header but nothing at all, Cleared the CMOS, removed the battery and the system is UP in no time.

Actually it happened in a sudden, Few hours before it was working like a charm.

///Well if the CMOS contacts aren't properly aligned aka positive & negative shorting then it's the same as booting while performing a 'Clear CMOS'. The solution is to examine the contacts carefully and 'bend' them back properly. Otherwise if there's no short ANYWHERE then the MOBO is defective.

IMO - IF needed do a full minimal Breadboard before sending components back. i.e. removal of MOBO from case, no USB/FT Headers, stock HSF, etc.///

binnx1

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Hahahaha

Yea its in warranty but ***k its gonna take some days for the company to return me a new MOBO.
Anyways thanks a ton.

IF this included the MOBO outside of its' case laying on a piece of cardboard of similar non-conductive surface then yes it's toast. A rogue or misaligned standoff or I/O -- short is only ruled-out in a FULL Breadboard.