Sign in with
Your question

DDR2 (667) RAM Bottleneck DDR5 Video Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 11:55:16 AM

Hey I was wondering if anybody may offer some wisdom. I recently purchased a bargain computer and set about upgrading immediately. I purchased new RAM to suit the motherboard 4GB of DDR2(667) and a XFX XXX Edition ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5 video card. I was getting nowhere near the performance upgrade I was looking for and I have recently purchased a Gigabyte GA-G41M-COMBO MB, Intel G41+ICH7, FSB 1333MHz, DDR3 + DDR2 MoBo and a Core 2 Quad core Q9300 CPU. I have not installed the later 2 items but I am expecting a significant increase in performance. My question is, the motherboard I have bought supports both DDR2 and DDR3 RAM I have basically brand new DDR2 RAM and am trying to avoid spending any more money on the system, would the DDR2 RAM bring down the performance of my video card or would this be negligable. Is the DDR2 RAM now the bottleneck. Cheers
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 12:03:28 PM

No, the mobo RAM and graphic card RAM do not interact with each other, DDR3 is pointless with a Core 2 Quad as well, so the only issue is that you bought 667 rather than 800 or 1066 RAM but a simple OC would take care of that should the need arise.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 4:52:52 PM

^^+1
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 8:09:37 PM

Mousemonkey said:
No, the mobo RAM and graphic card RAM do not interact with each other, DDR3 is pointless with a Core 2 Quad as well, so the only issue is that you bought 667 rather than 800 or 1066 RAM but a simple OC would take care of that should the need arise.

Thanks for the quick reply. So have I basically bought all the wrong stuff that does not go together well?
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 9:03:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. So have I basically bought all the wrong stuff that does not go together well?

When it comes to system ram there is no prerequisite except for capacity. DDR2 667 is good enough and if you want an extra boost just do as mousemonkey had suggested. Make sure the ram is cool before nuking it. I had a few kits die on me.
m
l
!