Sign in with
Your question

PSU...Needs a total revamp as a whole

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 5, 2011 9:31:11 AM

NewEggs biggest and baddest PSU is 350 bucks and 1500Watts......

Makes me think to myself,,,,,,,,,,Why in the world do they not make
external PSUs and just bulkhead connect the PC

Weight,heat and wire mgt could be 10x nicer not too mention zero
PSU size restrictions .....endless possibility's

Why am I thinking this ? Cause a buddy of mine wanted a nice new PSU
of 1000 watts or so and we were talking how much of a ripoff they are and how
2 500 watters could be bought for way less money -

Its my slow season of the year , my mind thinks alot LOL

More about : psu total revamp

a b ) Power supply
January 5, 2011 9:46:57 AM

There is one like that with a separate external case it was 2000 watts i believe but even under the most extreme overclocking situations doesn't really draw more then 2000 watts and the future trend is towards lower power usage so i dont foresee anyone every really needing more then 1200 watts for anything in a few years time
m
l
January 5, 2011 9:56:58 AM

power requirements aside , just seems it would really make things
more user friendly
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 5, 2011 11:43:10 AM

I agree completely. Having an external power supply would be much more economical and could incorporate a host of other features, all outside the box like wattage draw & battery backup. The possibilities are endless, all the while reducing overall system heat and allowing better air flow through our boxes. I personally use two PSUs in my build using the HAF 922 case as it was a better solution all around.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 5, 2011 11:45:25 AM

@dwn2: How do you divide those? What other hardware?
m
l
January 5, 2011 11:50:20 AM

dwn2brasstacks said:
I agree completely. Having an external power supply would be much more economical and could incorporate a host of other features, all outside the box like wattage draw & battery backup. The possibilities are endless, all the while reducing overall system heat and allowing better air flow through our boxes. I personally use two PSUs in my build using the HAF 922 case as it was a better solution all around.

id love to see that
m
l
January 5, 2011 11:54:34 AM

mi1ez said:
@dwn2: How do you divide those? What other hardware?

The HAF 922 has two places to install powersupplies, above and below the mainboard. It is a full tower case, looks military and is very solid and well put together. I run a corsair 750 watt (best power supply out there IMHO) below and an antec 650 watt above. I did this to power my two GTX 460's in SLI orriginally with the corsair, but now I have it powering my dual 6870's. To make sure they both turn on at once there is a dual atx power supply adapter you can find online or at local specialty computer stores like i did, and it also helps to increase the length of the 24 pin mobo connector. The case hides all the cables nicely through the back.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 5, 2011 12:37:57 PM

Ah! I meant electrically. One for each GPU. Overkill, but awesome overkill!
m
l
January 5, 2011 12:41:17 PM

dwn2brasstacks said:
The HAF 922 has two places to install powersupplies, above and below the mainboard. It is a full tower case, looks military and is very solid and well put together. I run a corsair 750 watt (best power supply out there IMHO) below and an antec 650 watt above. I did this to power my two GTX 460's in SLI orriginally with the corsair, but now I have it powering my dual 6870's. To make sure they both turn on at once there is a dual atx power supply adapter you can find online or at local specialty computer stores like i did, and it also helps to increase the length of the 24 pin mobo connector. The case hides all the cables nicely through the back.

nice does it run cool......
m
l
!