Any way to change "Status" and "Startup Type" of multiple ..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hello,

I have the need at times to change the "Status" of a number of different
"windows services", as well as setting the "Startup Type" for some of them.

Currently, I have to go through and set each one of them manually. Is there
any way I can set up different "profiles" (for lack of a better term) which
would automate the procedure of starting/stopping and changing the "Startup
Type" for a number of services at the same time?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jon
16 answers Last reply
More about change status startup type multiple
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    if i got this right, you have multiple computers and you want to change the
    properties of some services on all systems without going to them
    individually?
    do it through gpo
    computer configuration -> windows settings -> security settings -> system
    services

    "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have the need at times to change the "Status" of a number of different
    > "windows services", as well as setting the "Startup Type" for some of
    > them.
    >
    > Currently, I have to go through and set each one of them manually. Is
    > there
    > any way I can set up different "profiles" (for lack of a better term)
    > which
    > would automate the procedure of starting/stopping and changing the
    > "Startup
    > Type" for a number of services at the same time?
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions,
    >
    > Jon

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    No, I have only one computer. On this one computer, I would like to have an
    automated way that I can change multiple services at the same time, without
    having to change each of them indivitually.

    Thanks,

    Jon

    "seth" wrote:
    > if i got this right, you have multiple computers and you want to change
    the
    > properties of some services on all systems without going to them
    > individually?
    > do it through gpo
    > computer configuration -> windows settings -> security settings -> system
    > services
    >
    > "Jon Danniken" wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I have the need at times to change the "Status" of a number of different
    > > "windows services", as well as setting the "Startup Type" for some of
    > > them.
    > >
    > > Currently, I have to go through and set each one of them manually. Is
    > > there
    > > any way I can set up different "profiles" (for lack of a better term)
    > > which
    > > would automate the procedure of starting/stopping and changing the
    > > "Startup
    > > Type" for a number of services at the same time?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any suggestions,
    > >
    > > Jon

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Type Hardware profiles in help.

    "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3nmfujF1sg88U1@individual.net...
    > No, I have only one computer. On this one computer, I would like to have an
    > automated way that I can change multiple services at the same time, without
    > having to change each of them indivitually.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jon
    >
    > "seth" wrote:
    >> if i got this right, you have multiple computers and you want to change
    > the
    >> properties of some services on all systems without going to them
    >> individually?
    >> do it through gpo
    >> computer configuration -> windows settings -> security settings -> system
    >> services
    >>
    >> "Jon Danniken" wrote:
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > I have the need at times to change the "Status" of a number of different
    >> > "windows services", as well as setting the "Startup Type" for some of
    >> > them.
    >> >
    >> > Currently, I have to go through and set each one of them manually. Is
    >> > there
    >> > any way I can set up different "profiles" (for lack of a better term)
    >> > which
    >> > would automate the procedure of starting/stopping and changing the
    >> > "Startup
    >> > Type" for a number of services at the same time?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for any suggestions,
    >> >
    >> > Jon

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Thanks for the suggestion, David. I now know I can either "enable" or
    "disable" various services by association with a hardware profile, but
    unfortunately, setting hardware profiles is something that is done at
    startup, requiring a reboot. It also doesn't allow the changing of "Status"
    or "Startup Type", only enable/disable.

    What I am looking for is a way to change the "Status" and "Startup Type" of
    a few services without having to do it manually, or without requiring a
    reboot. Surely there has to be a way to do this simple task.

    Jon

    "David Candy" wrote:
    >Type Hardware profiles in help.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    You should be able to modify these scripts to do what you want.

    http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Jon Danniken" wrote:
    | Thanks for the suggestion, David. I now know I can either "enable" or
    | "disable" various services by association with a hardware profile, but
    | unfortunately, setting hardware profiles is something that is done at
    | startup, requiring a reboot. It also doesn't allow the changing of
    "Status"
    | or "Startup Type", only enable/disable.
    |
    | What I am looking for is a way to change the "Status" and "Startup Type"
    of
    | a few services without having to do it manually, or without requiring a
    | reboot. Surely there has to be a way to do this simple task.
    |
    | Jon
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, I know nothing about scripts, either
    implementing or modifying them. Maybe someday I'll figure them out.

    Looks like for now I'm stuck with manually doing things.

    Thanks,

    Jon

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    > You should be able to modify these scripts to do what you want.

    http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/

    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Jon Danniken" wrote:
    > | Thanks for the suggestion, David. I now know I can either "enable" or
    > | "disable" various services by association with a hardware profile, but
    > | unfortunately, setting hardware profiles is something that is done at
    > | startup, requiring a reboot. It also doesn't allow the changing of
    > "Status"
    > | or "Startup Type", only enable/disable.
    > |
    > | What I am looking for is a way to change the "Status" and "Startup Type"
    > of
    > | a few services without having to do it manually, or without requiring a
    > | reboot. Surely there has to be a way to do this simple task.
    > |
    > | Jon

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Type SC in help

    "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3nnhhqF2d8b3U1@individual.net...
    > Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, I know nothing about scripts, either
    > implementing or modifying them. Maybe someday I'll figure them out.
    >
    > Looks like for now I'm stuck with manually doing things.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jon
    >
    > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    >> You should be able to modify these scripts to do what you want.
    >>

    > http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    >> Microsoft Certified Professional
    >> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>
    >> "Jon Danniken" wrote:
    >> | Thanks for the suggestion, David. I now know I can either "enable" or
    >> | "disable" various services by association with a hardware profile, but
    >> | unfortunately, setting hardware profiles is something that is done at
    >> | startup, requiring a reboot. It also doesn't allow the changing of
    >> "Status"
    >> | or "Startup Type", only enable/disable.
    >> |
    >> | What I am looking for is a way to change the "Status" and "Startup Type"
    >> of
    >> | a few services without having to do it manually, or without requiring a
    >> | reboot. Surely there has to be a way to do this simple task.
    >> |
    >> | Jon

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Yes, David, F1 is my friend. Unfortunately, learning scripting language and
    modifying existing scripts dealing with WMIServices doesn't appear to be
    something I'll be able to approach in an afternoon or three.

    Besides the activex newsgroups, are there any sites or forums where I might
    inquire about service related scripts?

    Thanks,

    Jon

    "David Candy" wrote:
    Type SC in help

    ----------------------
    "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, I know nothing about scripts, either
    > implementing or modifying them. Maybe someday I'll figure them out.
    >
    > Looks like for now I'm stuck with manually doing things.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jon
    >
    > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    >> You should be able to modify these scripts to do what you want.

    http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/

    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    >> Microsoft Certified Professional
    >> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >>
    >> "Jon Danniken" wrote:
    >> | Thanks for the suggestion, David. I now know I can either "enable" or
    >> | "disable" various services by association with a hardware profile, but
    >> | unfortunately, setting hardware profiles is something that is done at
    >> | startup, requiring a reboot. It also doesn't allow the changing of
    >> "Status"
    >> | or "Startup Type", only enable/disable.
    >> |
    >> | What I am looking for is a way to change the "Status" and "Startup
    Type"
    >> of
    >> | a few services without having to do it manually, or without requiring a
    >> | reboot. Surely there has to be a way to do this simple task.
    >> |
    >> | Jon

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    SC doesn't require any knowledge of anything you mentioned.

    SC start schedule

    will start Task Scheduler.

    Put the commands you want in a batch file.
    "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3nrqlqF323scU1@individual.net...
    > Yes, David, F1 is my friend. Unfortunately, learning scripting language and
    > modifying existing scripts dealing with WMIServices doesn't appear to be
    > something I'll be able to approach in an afternoon or three.
    >
    > Besides the activex newsgroups, are there any sites or forums where I might
    > inquire about service related scripts?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jon
    >

    > "David Candy" wrote:
    > Type SC in help

    > ----------------------
    > "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, I know nothing about scripts, either
    >> implementing or modifying them. Maybe someday I'll figure them out.
    >>
    >> Looks like for now I'm stuck with manually doing things.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jon
    >>
    >> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    >>> You should be able to modify these scripts to do what you want.
    >>>

    > http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    >>> Microsoft Certified Professional
    >>> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    >>> "Status"

    > Type"
    >>> of

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    David, typing "SC" into help brings up everything that begins with "SC",
    including "scripts", which is what I thought you were referring to.

    While I appreciate the effort, if you were to elaborate a little more in
    your responses they would be a lot more helpful

    Thanks,

    Jon

    "David Candy" wrote:
    SC doesn't require any knowledge of anything you mentioned.

    SC start schedule

    will start Task Scheduler.

    Put the commands you want in a batch file.
    ----------------------
    "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Yes, David, F1 is my friend. Unfortunately, learning scripting language
    and
    > modifying existing scripts dealing with WMIServices doesn't appear to be
    > something I'll be able to approach in an afternoon or three.
    >
    > Besides the activex newsgroups, are there any sites or forums where I
    might
    > inquire about service related scripts?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jon
    >

    > "David Candy" wrote:
    > Type SC in help

    > ----------------------
    > "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, I know nothing about scripts, either
    >> implementing or modifying them. Maybe someday I'll figure them out.
    >>
    >> Looks like for now I'm stuck with manually doing things.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jon
    >>
    >> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    >>> You should be able to modify these scripts to do what you want.

    http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/

    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    >>> Microsoft Certified Professional
    >>> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    >>> "Status"

    > Type"
    >>> of

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Furthermore I wouldn't reccommend WMI to a dog.

    "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3nrqlqF323scU1@individual.net...
    > Yes, David, F1 is my friend. Unfortunately, learning scripting language and
    > modifying existing scripts dealing with WMIServices doesn't appear to be
    > something I'll be able to approach in an afternoon or three.
    >
    > Besides the activex newsgroups, are there any sites or forums where I might
    > inquire about service related scripts?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jon
    >

    > "David Candy" wrote:
    > Type SC in help

    > ----------------------
    > "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, I know nothing about scripts, either
    >> implementing or modifying them. Maybe someday I'll figure them out.
    >>
    >> Looks like for now I'm stuck with manually doing things.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jon
    >>
    >> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    >>> You should be able to modify these scripts to do what you want.
    >>>

    > http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    >>> Microsoft Certified Professional
    >>> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    >>> "Status"

    > Type"
    >>> of

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Well, David, that is exactly what the scripts we are talking about access.
    Could you be a little more specific, or offer an alternative?

    Thanks,

    Jon

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    Furthermore I wouldn't reccommend WMI to a dog.

    ----------------------
    "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Yes, David, F1 is my friend. Unfortunately, learning scripting language
    and
    > modifying existing scripts dealing with WMIServices doesn't appear to be
    > something I'll be able to approach in an afternoon or three.
    >
    > Besides the activex newsgroups, are there any sites or forums where I
    might
    > inquire about service related scripts?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jon
    >

    > "David Candy" wrote:
    > Type SC in help

    > ----------------------
    > "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, I know nothing about scripts, either
    >> implementing or modifying them. Maybe someday I'll figure them out.
    >>
    >> Looks like for now I'm stuck with manually doing things.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jon
    >>
    >> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    >>> You should be able to modify these scripts to do what you want.

    http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/

    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    >>> Microsoft Certified Professional
    >>> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    >>> "Status"

    > Type"
    >>> of

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    There is a program called SC.

    So

    sc start scheduler

    Turns on scheduler. You do have Pro as I don't know if sc is in home.

    "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3ns544F34270U1@individual.net...
    > David, typing "SC" into help brings up everything that begins with "SC",
    > including "scripts", which is what I thought you were referring to.
    >
    > While I appreciate the effort, if you were to elaborate a little more in
    > your responses they would be a lot more helpful
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jon
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    > SC doesn't require any knowledge of anything you mentioned.
    >
    > SC start schedule
    >
    > will start Task Scheduler.
    >
    > Put the commands you want in a batch file.
    > ----------------------
    > "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Yes, David, F1 is my friend. Unfortunately, learning scripting language
    > and
    >> modifying existing scripts dealing with WMIServices doesn't appear to be
    >> something I'll be able to approach in an afternoon or three.
    >>
    >> Besides the activex newsgroups, are there any sites or forums where I
    > might
    >> inquire about service related scripts?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jon
    >>

    >> "David Candy" wrote:
    >> Type SC in help
    >>
    >> --
    >> ----------------------
    >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >> "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, I know nothing about scripts, either
    >>> implementing or modifying them. Maybe someday I'll figure them out.
    >>>
    >>> Looks like for now I'm stuck with manually doing things.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Jon

    > http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/

    >> Type"

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Thanks, David. I should have mentioned that I am trying to do this with
    Win2000. I figured the method of controlling multiple services would be the
    same across both platforms, and I apologize for not mentioning this earlier.

    I did find the SC.exe application you mentioned in my WinXP partition. Any
    idea if it would work on a Win2000 box?

    Thanks,

    Jon

    "David Candy" wrote:
    There is a program called SC.

    So

    sc start scheduler

    Turns on scheduler. You do have Pro as I don't know if sc is in home.

    ----------------------
    "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > David, typing "SC" into help brings up everything that begins with "SC",
    > including "scripts", which is what I thought you were referring to.
    >
    > While I appreciate the effort, if you were to elaborate a little more in
    > your responses they would be a lot more helpful
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jon
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    > SC doesn't require any knowledge of anything you mentioned.
    >
    > SC start schedule
    >
    > will start Task Scheduler.
    >
    > Put the commands you want in a batch file.
    > ----------------------
    > "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Yes, David, F1 is my friend. Unfortunately, learning scripting language
    > and
    >> modifying existing scripts dealing with WMIServices doesn't appear to be
    >> something I'll be able to approach in an afternoon or three.
    >>
    >> Besides the activex newsgroups, are there any sites or forums where I
    > might
    >> inquire about service related scripts?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jon
    >>

    >> "David Candy" wrote:
    >> Type SC in help
    >>
    >> --
    -
    > --
    >> ----------------------
    >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >> "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, I know nothing about scripts, either
    >>> implementing or modifying them. Maybe someday I'll figure them out.
    >>>
    >>> Looks like for now I'm stuck with manually doing things.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Jon

    http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/

    >> Type"

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Possibly. XP is only a minor upgrade to 2000. I'd say better than 50% chance.

    "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3ns8smF3365gU1@individual.net...
    > Thanks, David. I should have mentioned that I am trying to do this with
    > Win2000. I figured the method of controlling multiple services would be the
    > same across both platforms, and I apologize for not mentioning this earlier.
    >
    > I did find the SC.exe application you mentioned in my WinXP partition. Any
    > idea if it would work on a Win2000 box?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jon
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    > There is a program called SC.
    >
    > So
    >
    > sc start scheduler
    >
    > Turns on scheduler. You do have Pro as I don't know if sc is in home.

    > ----------------------
    > "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> David, typing "SC" into help brings up everything that begins with "SC",
    >> including "scripts", which is what I thought you were referring to.
    >>
    >> While I appreciate the effort, if you were to elaborate a little more in
    >> your responses they would be a lot more helpful
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jon
    >>
    >> "David Candy" wrote:
    >> SC doesn't require any knowledge of anything you mentioned.
    >>
    >> SC start schedule
    >>
    >> will start Task Scheduler.
    >>
    >> Put the commands you want in a batch file.
    >> --
    >> ----------------------
    >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >> "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Yes, David, F1 is my friend. Unfortunately, learning scripting language
    >> and
    >>> modifying existing scripts dealing with WMIServices doesn't appear to be
    >>> something I'll be able to approach in an afternoon or three.
    >>>
    >>> Besides the activex newsgroups, are there any sites or forums where I
    >> might
    >>> inquire about service related scripts?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Jon
    >>>

    >>> "David Candy" wrote:
    >>> Type SC in help
    >>>
    >>> --
    > -
    >> --
    >>> ----------------------
    >>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >>> =================================================
    >>> "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/

    > or
    > but

    >>> Type"

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Thanks, David.

    I found a copy of sc.exe for Win2k here:
    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/reskit/win2000/sc.zip

    I tested it out and it provides a simple and effective way of reaching my
    solution..

    Thank you very much for suggesting the application to me,

    Jon