Any way to change "Status" and "Startup Type" of multiple ..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hello,

I have the need at times to change the "Status" of a number of different
"windows services", as well as setting the "Startup Type" for some of them.

Currently, I have to go through and set each one of them manually. Is there
any way I can set up different "profiles" (for lack of a better term) which
would automate the procedure of starting/stopping and changing the "Startup
Type" for a number of services at the same time?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jon

seth

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

if i got this right, you have multiple computers and you want to change the
properties of some services on all systems without going to them
individually?
do it through gpo
computer configuration -> windows settings -> security settings -> system
services

"Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have the need at times to change the "Status" of a number of different
> "windows services", as well as setting the "Startup Type" for some of
> them.
>
> Currently, I have to go through and set each one of them manually. Is
> there
> any way I can set up different "profiles" (for lack of a better term)
> which
> would automate the procedure of starting/stopping and changing the
> "Startup
> Type" for a number of services at the same time?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
>
> Jon

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

No, I have only one computer. On this one computer, I would like to have an
automated way that I can change multiple services at the same time, without
having to change each of them indivitually.

Thanks,

Jon

"seth" wrote:
> if i got this right, you have multiple computers and you want to change
the
> properties of some services on all systems without going to them
> individually?
> do it through gpo
> computer configuration -> windows settings -> security settings -> system
> services
>
> "Jon Danniken" wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have the need at times to change the "Status" of a number of different
> > "windows services", as well as setting the "Startup Type" for some of
> > them.
> >
> > Currently, I have to go through and set each one of them manually. Is
> > there
> > any way I can set up different "profiles" (for lack of a better term)
> > which
> > would automate the procedure of starting/stopping and changing the
> > "Startup
> > Type" for a number of services at the same time?
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions,
> >
> > Jon

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Type Hardware profiles in help.

"Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3nmfujF1sg88U1@individual.net...
> No, I have only one computer. On this one computer, I would like to have an
> automated way that I can change multiple services at the same time, without
> having to change each of them indivitually.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon
>
> "seth" wrote:
>> if i got this right, you have multiple computers and you want to change
> the
>> properties of some services on all systems without going to them
>> individually?
>> do it through gpo
>> computer configuration -> windows settings -> security settings -> system
>> services
>>
>> "Jon Danniken" wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have the need at times to change the "Status" of a number of different
>> > "windows services", as well as setting the "Startup Type" for some of
>> > them.
>> >
>> > Currently, I have to go through and set each one of them manually. Is
>> > there
>> > any way I can set up different "profiles" (for lack of a better term)
>> > which
>> > would automate the procedure of starting/stopping and changing the
>> > "Startup
>> > Type" for a number of services at the same time?
>> >
>> > Thanks for any suggestions,
>> >
>> > Jon

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Thanks for the suggestion, David. I now know I can either "enable" or
"disable" various services by association with a hardware profile, but
unfortunately, setting hardware profiles is something that is done at
startup, requiring a reboot. It also doesn't allow the changing of "Status"
or "Startup Type", only enable/disable.

What I am looking for is a way to change the "Status" and "Startup Type" of
a few services without having to do it manually, or without requiring a
reboot. Surely there has to be a way to do this simple task.

Jon

"David Candy" wrote:
>Type Hardware profiles in help.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

You should be able to modify these scripts to do what you want.

http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Jon Danniken" wrote:
| Thanks for the suggestion, David. I now know I can either "enable" or
| "disable" various services by association with a hardware profile, but
| unfortunately, setting hardware profiles is something that is done at
| startup, requiring a reboot. It also doesn't allow the changing of
"Status"
| or "Startup Type", only enable/disable.
|
| What I am looking for is a way to change the "Status" and "Startup Type"
of
| a few services without having to do it manually, or without requiring a
| reboot. Surely there has to be a way to do this simple task.
|
| Jon

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, I know nothing about scripts, either
implementing or modifying them. Maybe someday I'll figure them out.

Looks like for now I'm stuck with manually doing things.

Thanks,

Jon

"Dave Patrick" wrote:
> You should be able to modify these scripts to do what you want.

http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Jon Danniken" wrote:
> | Thanks for the suggestion, David. I now know I can either "enable" or
> | "disable" various services by association with a hardware profile, but
> | unfortunately, setting hardware profiles is something that is done at
> | startup, requiring a reboot. It also doesn't allow the changing of
> "Status"
> | or "Startup Type", only enable/disable.
> |
> | What I am looking for is a way to change the "Status" and "Startup Type"
> of
> | a few services without having to do it manually, or without requiring a
> | reboot. Surely there has to be a way to do this simple task.
> |
> | Jon

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Type SC in help

"Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3nnhhqF2d8b3U1@individual.net...
> Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, I know nothing about scripts, either
> implementing or modifying them. Maybe someday I'll figure them out.
>
> Looks like for now I'm stuck with manually doing things.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon
>
> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>> You should be able to modify these scripts to do what you want.
>>

> http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>
>> "Jon Danniken" wrote:
>> | Thanks for the suggestion, David. I now know I can either "enable" or
>> | "disable" various services by association with a hardware profile, but
>> | unfortunately, setting hardware profiles is something that is done at
>> | startup, requiring a reboot. It also doesn't allow the changing of
>> "Status"
>> | or "Startup Type", only enable/disable.
>> |
>> | What I am looking for is a way to change the "Status" and "Startup Type"
>> of
>> | a few services without having to do it manually, or without requiring a
>> | reboot. Surely there has to be a way to do this simple task.
>> |
>> | Jon

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Yes, David, F1 is my friend. Unfortunately, learning scripting language and
modifying existing scripts dealing with WMIServices doesn't appear to be
something I'll be able to approach in an afternoon or three.

Besides the activex newsgroups, are there any sites or forums where I might
inquire about service related scripts?

Thanks,

Jon

"David Candy" wrote:
Type SC in help

----------------------
"Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, I know nothing about scripts, either
> implementing or modifying them. Maybe someday I'll figure them out.
>
> Looks like for now I'm stuck with manually doing things.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon
>
> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>> You should be able to modify these scripts to do what you want.

http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>
>> "Jon Danniken" wrote:
>> | Thanks for the suggestion, David. I now know I can either "enable" or
>> | "disable" various services by association with a hardware profile, but
>> | unfortunately, setting hardware profiles is something that is done at
>> | startup, requiring a reboot. It also doesn't allow the changing of
>> "Status"
>> | or "Startup Type", only enable/disable.
>> |
>> | What I am looking for is a way to change the "Status" and "Startup
Type"
>> of
>> | a few services without having to do it manually, or without requiring a
>> | reboot. Surely there has to be a way to do this simple task.
>> |
>> | Jon

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

SC doesn't require any knowledge of anything you mentioned.

SC start schedule

will start Task Scheduler.

Put the commands you want in a batch file.
"Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3nrqlqF323scU1@individual.net...
> Yes, David, F1 is my friend. Unfortunately, learning scripting language and
> modifying existing scripts dealing with WMIServices doesn't appear to be
> something I'll be able to approach in an afternoon or three.
>
> Besides the activex newsgroups, are there any sites or forums where I might
> inquire about service related scripts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon
>

> "David Candy" wrote:
> Type SC in help

> ----------------------
> "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, I know nothing about scripts, either
>> implementing or modifying them. Maybe someday I'll figure them out.
>>
>> Looks like for now I'm stuck with manually doing things.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>>> You should be able to modify these scripts to do what you want.
>>>

> http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>>> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

>>> "Status"

> Type"
>>> of

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

David, typing "SC" into help brings up everything that begins with "SC",
including "scripts", which is what I thought you were referring to.

While I appreciate the effort, if you were to elaborate a little more in
your responses they would be a lot more helpful

Thanks,

Jon

"David Candy" wrote:
SC doesn't require any knowledge of anything you mentioned.

SC start schedule

will start Task Scheduler.

Put the commands you want in a batch file.
----------------------
"Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Yes, David, F1 is my friend. Unfortunately, learning scripting language
and
> modifying existing scripts dealing with WMIServices doesn't appear to be
> something I'll be able to approach in an afternoon or three.
>
> Besides the activex newsgroups, are there any sites or forums where I
might
> inquire about service related scripts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon
>

> "David Candy" wrote:
> Type SC in help

> ----------------------
> "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, I know nothing about scripts, either
>> implementing or modifying them. Maybe someday I'll figure them out.
>>
>> Looks like for now I'm stuck with manually doing things.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>>> You should be able to modify these scripts to do what you want.

http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/

>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>>> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

>>> "Status"

> Type"
>>> of

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Furthermore I wouldn't reccommend WMI to a dog.

"Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3nrqlqF323scU1@individual.net...
> Yes, David, F1 is my friend. Unfortunately, learning scripting language and
> modifying existing scripts dealing with WMIServices doesn't appear to be
> something I'll be able to approach in an afternoon or three.
>
> Besides the activex newsgroups, are there any sites or forums where I might
> inquire about service related scripts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon
>

> "David Candy" wrote:
> Type SC in help

> ----------------------
> "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, I know nothing about scripts, either
>> implementing or modifying them. Maybe someday I'll figure them out.
>>
>> Looks like for now I'm stuck with manually doing things.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>>> You should be able to modify these scripts to do what you want.
>>>

> http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>>> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

>>> "Status"

> Type"
>>> of

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Well, David, that is exactly what the scripts we are talking about access.
Could you be a little more specific, or offer an alternative?

Thanks,

Jon

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Furthermore I wouldn't reccommend WMI to a dog.

----------------------
"Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Yes, David, F1 is my friend. Unfortunately, learning scripting language
and
> modifying existing scripts dealing with WMIServices doesn't appear to be
> something I'll be able to approach in an afternoon or three.
>
> Besides the activex newsgroups, are there any sites or forums where I
might
> inquire about service related scripts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon
>

> "David Candy" wrote:
> Type SC in help

> ----------------------
> "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, I know nothing about scripts, either
>> implementing or modifying them. Maybe someday I'll figure them out.
>>
>> Looks like for now I'm stuck with manually doing things.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>>> You should be able to modify these scripts to do what you want.

http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/

>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>>> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

>>> "Status"

> Type"
>>> of

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

There is a program called SC.

So

sc start scheduler

Turns on scheduler. You do have Pro as I don't know if sc is in home.

"Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3ns544F34270U1@individual.net...
> David, typing "SC" into help brings up everything that begins with "SC",
> including "scripts", which is what I thought you were referring to.
>
> While I appreciate the effort, if you were to elaborate a little more in
> your responses they would be a lot more helpful
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
> SC doesn't require any knowledge of anything you mentioned.
>
> SC start schedule
>
> will start Task Scheduler.
>
> Put the commands you want in a batch file.
> ----------------------
> "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, David, F1 is my friend. Unfortunately, learning scripting language
> and
>> modifying existing scripts dealing with WMIServices doesn't appear to be
>> something I'll be able to approach in an afternoon or three.
>>
>> Besides the activex newsgroups, are there any sites or forums where I
> might
>> inquire about service related scripts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jon
>>

>> "David Candy" wrote:
>> Type SC in help
>>
>> --
>> ----------------------
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>> "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, I know nothing about scripts, either
>>> implementing or modifying them. Maybe someday I'll figure them out.
>>>
>>> Looks like for now I'm stuck with manually doing things.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jon

> http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/

>> Type"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Thanks, David. I should have mentioned that I am trying to do this with
Win2000. I figured the method of controlling multiple services would be the
same across both platforms, and I apologize for not mentioning this earlier.

I did find the SC.exe application you mentioned in my WinXP partition. Any
idea if it would work on a Win2000 box?

Thanks,

Jon

"David Candy" wrote:
There is a program called SC.

So

sc start scheduler

Turns on scheduler. You do have Pro as I don't know if sc is in home.

----------------------
"Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> David, typing "SC" into help brings up everything that begins with "SC",
> including "scripts", which is what I thought you were referring to.
>
> While I appreciate the effort, if you were to elaborate a little more in
> your responses they would be a lot more helpful
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
> SC doesn't require any knowledge of anything you mentioned.
>
> SC start schedule
>
> will start Task Scheduler.
>
> Put the commands you want in a batch file.
> ----------------------
> "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, David, F1 is my friend. Unfortunately, learning scripting language
> and
>> modifying existing scripts dealing with WMIServices doesn't appear to be
>> something I'll be able to approach in an afternoon or three.
>>
>> Besides the activex newsgroups, are there any sites or forums where I
> might
>> inquire about service related scripts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jon
>>

>> "David Candy" wrote:
>> Type SC in help
>>
>> --
-
> --
>> ----------------------
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>> "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks, Dave. Unfortunately, I know nothing about scripts, either
>>> implementing or modifying them. Maybe someday I'll figure them out.
>>>
>>> Looks like for now I'm stuck with manually doing things.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jon

http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/

>> Type"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Possibly. XP is only a minor upgrade to 2000. I'd say better than 50% chance.

"Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3ns8smF3365gU1@individual.net...
> Thanks, David. I should have mentioned that I am trying to do this with
> Win2000. I figured the method of controlling multiple services would be the
> same across both platforms, and I apologize for not mentioning this earlier.
>
> I did find the SC.exe application you mentioned in my WinXP partition. Any
> idea if it would work on a Win2000 box?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
> There is a program called SC.
>
> So
>
> sc start scheduler
>
> Turns on scheduler. You do have Pro as I don't know if sc is in home.

> ----------------------
> "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> David, typing "SC" into help brings up everything that begins with "SC",
>> including "scripts", which is what I thought you were referring to.
>>
>> While I appreciate the effort, if you were to elaborate a little more in
>> your responses they would be a lot more helpful
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> "David Candy" wrote:
>> SC doesn't require any knowledge of anything you mentioned.
>>
>> SC start schedule
>>
>> will start Task Scheduler.
>>
>> Put the commands you want in a batch file.
>> --
>> ----------------------
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>> "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes, David, F1 is my friend. Unfortunately, learning scripting language
>> and
>>> modifying existing scripts dealing with WMIServices doesn't appear to be
>>> something I'll be able to approach in an afternoon or three.
>>>
>>> Besides the activex newsgroups, are there any sites or forums where I
>> might
>>> inquire about service related scripts?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jon
>>>

>>> "David Candy" wrote:
>>> Type SC in help
>>>
>>> --
> -
>> --
>>> ----------------------
>>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>>> =================================================
>>> "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> http://www.activexperts.com/activmonitor/windowsmanagement/adminscripts/services/

> or
> but

>>> Type"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Thanks, David.

I found a copy of sc.exe for Win2k here:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/reskit/win2000/sc.zip

I tested it out and it provides a simple and effective way of reaching my
solution..

Thank you very much for suggesting the application to me,

Jon