E8400@ 3.6 GHz is time for upgrade?

Hi,

I am currently using this CPU with an HD4870.
my question is would I gain much if I upgraded to an i2400 for example? (taking in consideration the change of platform and all that it goes with it)
I am only interested in game performance.
I couldn't find a direct comparison on the net but from I've gathered there isn't a huge difference (about 5-10 fps).

Also, if I would upgrade to a AMD 6850 would my current CPU be the bottleneck or is it some way to go before becoming one?

Thanks

edit: sorry for the grammar error in the title. can't edit it now :P
9 answers Last reply
More about e8400 time upgrade
  1. depends what games you play and at what resolution.
  2. I am in the the exact same delima as you gizmo. I also have a E8400 at 3.6ghz. Have a 5850 (proably get a second later" I play at 1650 x 1050 res. Because my monitor is limited to that. Play lots of FPS like BC2 and black ops. and racing sims. I am thinking on getting the new i5 2500K. I hope that I would get 3-4 years out of it. But also thinking as well as just hold on for another year for the new Bulldozer IvyBridge. Hard choices.
  3. I am in the the exact same delima as you gizmo. I also have a E8400 at 3.6ghz. Have a 5850 (proably get a second later" I play at 1650 x 1050 res. Because my monitor is limited to that. Play lots of FPS like BC2 and black ops. and racing sims. I am thinking on getting the new i5 2500K. I hope that I would get 3-4 years out of it. But also thinking as well as just hold on for another year for the new Bulldozer IvyBridge. Hard choices.
  4. ern88 said:
    I am in the the exact same delima as you gizmo. I also have a E8400 at 3.6ghz. Have a 5850 (proably get a second later" I play at 1650 x 1050 res. Because my monitor is limited to that. Play lots of FPS like BC2 and black ops. and racing sims. I am thinking on getting the new i5 2500K. I hope that I would get 3-4 years out of it. But also thinking as well as just hold on for another year for the new Bulldozer IvyBridge. Hard choices.

I found the answers to many of my questions in this article:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/balanced-gaming-pc-overclock,2625-16.html

as you can see from the 2 graph (but you should check each specific game as well) your 5850 performs almost the the same starting from E8400 up to i7 920 so you wouldn't gain much more from 2500k as the bottleneck will still be the video card.
    the picture will change when you will add a second video for Crossf as you mentioned you would like.

this kind of confirms my suspicion that you only need really powerful CPU if you have a top of the line video card.

@alhanelem - I am currently playing at 1280x1024 unfortunately but soon it will be 1650x1050. I play everything :), from Crysis to Dragon Age
  5. So, what you are saying is I won't see any performance with a new i5 2500K with a single 5850 card???
  6. You'll gain more gaming performance by upgrading your video card to something like a 6950 or 570.. E8400 is still strong when it comes to gaming and should easily carry you till LGA 2011 launch..
  7. Well, I was think on Crossfiring the 5850 and thought I would see a much better performance paired with the i5 2500K

My specs are: ASUS P5K-E, Intel E8400 Dual core O/C 3.6 ghz. Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 5850. Creative X-FI gamer, 4 gigs ddr2 800 mhz ram, 500 gig HD. ANTEC Gamer 900 tower. Windows 7 Pro. PC Power & Cooling 610 silencer PSU.
  8. Well, my monitor is 23 inch. So, it's big enough unless I hook it to my 52 inch LCD TV. I am sure I will see a huge performance gain moving from a dual E8400 to a new quad core. I don't think the HD 5850 will slow it down from what I have been getting.
  9. Well, my monitor is 23 inch. So, it's big enough unless I hook it to my 52 inch LCD TV. I am sure I will see a huge performance gain moving from a dual E8400 to a new quad core. I don't think the HD 5850 will slow it down from what I have been getting.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs