Best way to get Sandy Bridge parts

teh_tourist

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I know they might not even release today, but assuming that websites start selling Sandy Bridge parts today around Intels Press conference. What ways would you recommend to try to be one of the lucky people to actually get one? Right now I've got newegg pulled up to the Intel page where I can see all of their processors sold there and choose a socket type, and I've got a google shopping search pulled up searching for Intel 2600K. I'm refreshing these pages as often as I can and plan to ramp up the refresh rate around 1:00P.M. when I understand the Press Conference takes place. Are there any secrets to getting the first batch?

Do you really want to pay extra for the first release? I wouldn't buy the cpu until newegg or frys has it. They are the benchmark for world pricing. If you go the ebay route, you will probably pay alot more for the first few days.

Well looking at the game benchmarks the 2500k dont beat the 975 by much some games the 975 beats it wow did we wait so long for that?

Nevermind the new SB i7 is a few hundred dollars cheaper (~$300 versus around $1000) then the 975, runs cooler and uses less power...And lets not forget, these are teh MID TIER parts that are currently being released, imagine how much faster the 2011 SB i7's are going to be...

Yeah. Microcenter will offer about 4 Sandy Bridge cpus starting on 1/9/11, but they may be sold in store only for awhile. They want the store traffic just like frys so the customer will purchase more stuff to go with the cpu.

teh_tourist

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010

I'm tired of waiting, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. I need a new rig and the 2600K can do what I need to get done.

fastalan

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
I am really interested to see how AMD will respond to SB, more price reduction on their Phenom II X4 or X6 line up? If their 1090T drops to $165-175 range, it might not be a bad choice with 6 physical cores, it's still a decent product and good investment for the future. I've got the budget already set out to replace one of our aging Sempron unit this month, it's too old and has to go. Although I have a business account with IT distributor, I still have to see it first hand the pricing of SB CPU and 1155 mobo from the online merchants before making the final decision.

What a great time to upgrade computer, so many choices to choose from and non of them are really that expensive compared to the old days.