New Build this look good?

drillsar

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
I'm building a computer for my brother in law.

He wants to use it for DVR and Music Mostly

My Question is do I need a high end video card for TV?

I'm thinking either I7 or Possibly AMD Phenom II X6, one thing I noticed was AMD has a All-In-Wonder Card, Is it better to get a TV Tuner card and Seperate Video Card?

Here is the system:

Case: Cooler master HAF 922

Power Supply: Antec Truepower 750w or PC Power and Coupling

Motherboard: Asus P6T

Processor: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz

Heatsink: Cooler Master V8

Memory: OCZ 4gb PC3 16000 2 x 2gb

Video Card: XFX Gtx 260

2 Hitachi 1TB Drives

Misc: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250

Now I may go AMD, I like the idea of the ALL-In-Wonder card this way he don't need both. what you think?

I don't know much about AMD though.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Whether you get a discrete GPU is a matter of choice, not necessity, for TV & Multimedia. But at that high-end, you ain't gonna get anything with IGP, I suppose. So get a $25 XFX Radeon HD 4350 512MB

Also, if you can afford an i7 set-up, there can be no reason to not go for it. Though for DVR & Music, i7 sounds a little much. Get an i5 760 maybe? (Even an i3 540?) Just make sure you get a P55 Mobo, in case of the i5, & H55 in case of the 540, if you choose to go that way. Which will mean, you need not buy the extra Gfx card (i3 540 only).

If you do however choose the i7, go with the 950 which is only a few bucks more than the 930.

By the way, any half decent 550 watt PSU from Corsair / Antec / XFX / CoolerMaster / Silverstone / OCZ will be more than enough. Don't even think 'bout a 750. If you don't get a discrete, then even a 450 should be alright.

Also, why would you need a HSF for? I don't see anything that tells me that you wanna OC your CPU. Do you? Even a minor OC won't warrant a HSF - Certainly not stock clock! :non:

Finally, about the ATI All-in-Wonder Graphics and HD TV Tuner. I'll let somebody else take that question, 'coz I've never used it myself in any of my builds, so I don't really know too much 'bout it. Sounds gr8 though, maybe I should check it out sooner than later :)

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
^Exactly. As long as you don't wanna play graphics intensive games.

You obviously need a fan, but it'll be supplied by Intel - their own product, as long as you buy the "Retail Boxed" Version & not the OEM version.

As long as you use the processor the way it's supposed to be used (the way 99% PC users use their CPU's), without tampering with it, unlike us :p you will not need an aftermarket cooler. So don't even bother

TRENDING THREADS