Solved

Upgrading from integrated, Under $100 budget

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
August 25, 2010 1:54:25 PM

Hello people!
I just suscribed to this site even though I browse trough it a lot when in need of computing knowledge.
Pardon me my english , I am a french canadian and so french is my main language, english my second.

I just bought this ''Compaq Presario Desktop with AMD Athlon II 215 Processor and 18.5" Widescreen LCD Monitor ''
at best buy. Here is a link to what I bought

You can see al the spec there but I will list the main one.
Pros AMD Athlon II X2 215 2.7 ghz
RAM 4 GB DDR3
Graphic Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 9200
O.S Windows 7 Home Premium
Sound Card NVIDIA GeForce 9200 ??wtf??
Power supply 220 Watt omg QQ
Slim casing !!
1x Pci E X16 available

I did some research and found out that I can still add a graphic card even tough there should not be enuff power for it.
I browsed trough some forum and saw some pple using graphic card on very low power supply and it worked fine all the time.

Here is my question.
I would liek to know what would be the best graphic card for me to buy.
It has to have a low power consuption and it has to be low profile.
I have a low budget of under 100$
I do not really know where I will buy it but my credit card is frozen for some reason ( I have no fuckaing idea why it just stopped working all of a sudden).I will probably buy it at futureshop or bestbuy or Lasource or a small computer shop like dantech or whatever. I live in montreal.

I know I cant get far with this low budget but I am a 20 years old poor gamer and I would like to have the best of that 100$ for my card to play starcraft 2, some mmorpg etc...

I have a 2nd computer with a 8600 gt and I find that it's good enough.I can play starcraft 2 at med quality with med resolution and I have high FPS.

More about : upgrading integrated 100 budget

a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 2:08:32 PM

220W is bit too low for any decent GPU. If its a slim casing then please measure the width of the cabinet. That would be helpful.

Try something like Sapphire HD5550 Ultimate. That may fit the 220W PSU. Just a wee bit better than the 9500GT, isn't much of a card though.
m
l
Related resources
August 25, 2010 2:36:34 PM

Thx a lot guys, here is what I found

It's a 5570 asus from a computer shop near my house. Looks like it's the best I can get for +- 100$.

low power needed, low profile braket included ,106 + tax and good enuf to hold the newest game at med quality.

I will call them and bring my computer to the shop to see if the card can fit in.If everything is good ..See you on battle.net !!

m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 2:41:27 PM

You're most welcome! :) 
m
l
September 1, 2010 7:54:51 PM

Best answer selected by chobocolin.
m
l