Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which bios should I us?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 2, 2011 8:37:28 PM

My motherboard is a GA-MA74GM-S2. rev. 1.0. I have been told on the Graphics & Display forum that I can purchase a AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x and it will upgrade my system. But Gigabyte seems to have washed it's hands of my board. It's three + years old. All I want to know is if it will support the 125 watt CPU. When I emailed Gigabyte, the sound of crashing silence was all that I heard. No email response. Zip. Nada. :??:  What's a home builder to do? I do not want to replace the MB and start over. Just upgrade the PS to 750 watts and plug in the higher speed quad core. My current CPU is a early Phenom, 2.2 Ghz 4x. Does any one out there know if my board will support the TDP of 125 watts? And if I have to update the bios before or after I insert the new CPU? I have procured the 3.2 Ghz Phenom II X4 Black CPU. Now, all that I need is the right bois tu ise. Which one of the 6 on Gigabyte page shuld I use?

More about : bios

a c 180 V Motherboard
September 2, 2011 9:48:12 PM

First I would see if there is a QVL and then look at the specifications of the mother board and see if that cpu is compatable. I have never used AMD but with Intel you have to have the right socket that has the pin count of the cpu. If the spec's tell you what cpu's are compatable but dosn't mention your specific cpu see what the power rerquirements is of the cpu's that are listed and see if any are even close. Sorry to say but chances are with that mother board being 3+ years old it's not compatable.
In any case you would update the bios with the newest release before you install the new cpu. If you cannot find out any concrete info on compatability then it would be a risky situation to put in that cpu.
m
l

Best solution

a c 125 V Motherboard
September 5, 2011 6:41:59 AM

Go here and look at the cpu support list. Make sure you are looking at the 1.0 revision of the board.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
Related resources
September 14, 2011 12:20:07 AM

Best answer selected by engrbill47.
m
l
!