Sign in with
Your question

Need help with my homebuilt PC

Last response: in Systems
October 9, 2010 2:57:49 PM

I've hit a wall with a problem that I started to have when using a system that I built 3 years ago. Hopefully someone here can give me an idea or a solution that is helpful.

I built my computer about 3 years ago. Here are the specs:

ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU
EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 Video Card
SILVERSTONE ST1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (4 x 1GB) 800 (PC2 6400) RAM
1TB (1 x 500GB) 7200 RPM Hard Drive

I have been using it with my LCD TV for the past year and a few weeks ago it stopped displaying. The screen displays "Not supported mode" when I turn on the computer. I knew that the computer was working though because I was able to remote desktop to it. This made me think that the video card stopped working so I purchased a new one:

Galaxy GeForce 460 GTX 768MB DDR5

I installed it and the display started to work. I used it for a few days and the same thing happened! I figured that it might be the power supply so I purchased a new one:

Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

I installed it and connected the power cord directly into the wall (I heard that some people had similar problems when they did not do this). The computer, now with the new video card and the new power supply, started working again! And again, after a few days, it stopped.

So this is the wall that I've hit. I have no clue what is wrong or how to move forward. I'm about to go and return the new card and power supply :( 

If anyone has any ideas or solutions please let me know.

More about : homebuilt

a b B Homebuilt system
October 11, 2010 3:41:55 AM

Have you tried the PC with a different monitor?

Does it display when starting up (POST, etc)? If so tap F8 on startup to get the advanced boot options, then select "low resolution mode" or what ever.

Thats some things to try.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 11, 2010 11:20:55 AM

It sounds like it's trying to display a resolution not supported by the TV like 1400x900 or something weird. Same thing happens on my 1080i TV when I try to run 1080p, or any other weird resolution.
!