Computer turns itself off randomly

trev9058

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
Hello,
I just built a new PC and it seems to just spontaneously lose power, it doesnt shut down, just powers off like you pull the power cord from it. It doesn't do this under any load intensive tasks, just at times like opening google chrome, using skype, or browsing the web. Sometimes it will work fine and other times just opening the web browser will cause it to power off.

Here are the parts:
Case: Antec Sonata Elite ATX
Processor: Intel Core i7-930 @ 2.8GHz
Memory: 24GB - (2x) GSkill Ripjaws F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL (so 6x 4GB sticks DDR3 1333)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
GPU: SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
HDD(s) - 120GB OCZ Vertex II SSD (OS) and 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 7200RPM SATAII (data)
PSU: Corsair CMPSU 750TX - 750W PSU
DVD Drive: LITE-ON Super Multi DVD Burner

Have tried reinstalling windows, looking for errors in Memtest86 and also reformatting and reinstalling Windows 7, all to no avail. Everything appears to be seated properly, temperatures are normal, and there does not appear to be any points where the motherboard could short to the case.

trev9058

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

The SSD mount on the case is actually on the back of the hard drive mounts, facing the motherboard. When I put the SSD in, I had to actually plug in the power connector and SATA cable before screwing it in place. Because of that, the power connector was really close (less than a millimeter away) to a lip on the side of the hard drive mount so my guess is that the metal from the power connector was arcing to the case whenever the drive was under particularly heavy use.

The problem cleared up immediately after removing the SSD power connector, so that would indicate that it was the problem.

As for helping you, I would check to see if your motherboard is shorting to the case in any way, try assembling it outside the case and see if it works there, if not, then you have a problem with a component such as the power supply (as the most likely faulty component).