Sign in with
Your question

Computer fan noise!

Last response: in Systems
October 9, 2010 4:27:51 PM

OK I have a problem with the amount of noise my PC is making. The PC is around 12 months old, perhaps a little more. I didn't have this problem when I first built the PC, so I'm unsure as to why I'm having the problem now.

After spending a while using a billion different programs to monitor my PC I've come to the conclusion that my CPU is too hot, which is causing my CPU fan to go into overdrive, which is causing the excess noise. It's too noisy even when I'm not doing anything, and is very noticeable if I try & watch a movie (720-1080p).

I think the problem is the temperature inside the case is too high. This causes the CPU fan noise when watching movies, and CPU + GPU fan noise when gaming (almost 100% on GPU fan & around 5800RPM on CPU fan). If I open the case the noise decreases, which is kinda what made me think the internal temp is too high.

I've probably forgotten something, so if you want anymore info I'm sure one of the programs I installed has it. I'm not too good with computers, bear that in mind.

So there's the background now here are my questions...

How can I reduce internal temperature without replacing the case, without huge costs involved? (The case has no slots for extra fans)
Why is my computer making more noise now than when it was first made? The inside has hardly any dust in it...

Thank you!

More about : computer fan noise

October 9, 2010 4:31:55 PM

Btw

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BlackEdition
XFX GEFORCE GTS250 738M 1GB DD
ASUS M4A77TD PRO 770 Socket AM3 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
Antec Sonata III Piano Black Quiet Mid Tower Case - With 500W EarthWatts PSU
Win7 64bit

I tried to change the CPU fan speed manually but then it just increased in temperature until it was dangerous!
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2010 5:26:23 PM

What temps are you getting and what HSF? Did you mount the HSF properly w/good TIM?

Is the BIOS set to control the fan via PWM or are you using software to control fan speed?
Related resources
October 9, 2010 5:27:18 PM

i had the same problem, opened the case and found ever fan/heatsink was filled with dust causing bad airflow/cooling. never hurts to check it out. fans run because something is running to hot. invest in an aftermarket cooler. definatly worth it ;) 

There is only a few ways to bring down your temp. better heatsinks/better case with airflow/more fans/or liquid cooling.

cheapest-heatsink
cheap-case
expensive-liquid cooling

oh and if course turning on the ac lol
October 9, 2010 5:34:04 PM

rwpritchett said:
What temps are you getting and what HSF? Did you mount the HSF properly w/good TIM?

Is the BIOS set to control the fan via PWM or are you using software to control fan speed?

CPU temp now with 720p movie & chrome up is 52-55C
GPU temp 70C
HD temp 43-45C
Core 52C

Note I'm not a techy... HSF? TIM, I guess you're referring to thermal paste? In which case yes & yes.

I use EPU-4 Engine, but "Quiet'n'Cool" is enabled in BIOS.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2010 5:37:13 PM

HSF = heat-sink & fan
TIM = thermal interface material a.k.a. thermal paste/compound

For the fan control in the BIOS, are you using Q-fan to adjust the speed via PWM or do you have Q-fan disabled?
October 9, 2010 5:39:09 PM

rwpritchett said:
HSF = heat-sink & fan
TIM = thermal interface material a.k.a. thermal paste/compound

For the fan control in the BIOS, are you using Q-fan to adjust the speed via PWM or do you have Q-fan disabled?

I didn't see Q-fan mentioned in BIOS, which tab is it under?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2010 5:46:17 PM

TomC said:
I didn't see Q-fan mentioned in BIOS, which tab is it under?

In BIOS: Power->HW Monitor Configuration->Smart Q-Fan Function [Enabled]

There are also Q-Fan settings on that same tab that will allow you to control what temperature will force the fans to certain speeds etc.
October 9, 2010 5:57:13 PM

Changing the fan speed isn't going to make a difference though :-\ Decrease the speed & temperatures will just rise. The problem is the fan isn't working efficiently - not enough air is being pumped through. I think anyway...

How can I look inside the CPU fan to check it's not full of dust? I've only looked from the outside.

I didn't make the PC btw, my brother did.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2010 6:01:07 PM

Just open up the case and shoot some compressed air into the HSF. Get rid of those dust bunnies and see if it helps.
!