• Intel
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
October 9, 2010 4:32:17 PM

hi everyone

building a new gaming/adobe cs5
pref. newegg
don't need; keyboard/mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, gpu (have a Saphire 5850)
overclocking: yes (first time)
cf/sli: maybe in the future

heres my thoughts

$89.99 LIAN LI PC-7FN Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

$284.99 Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

$49.99 ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink

$119.00 Seventeam ST-750P-AF

$129.00 GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

$84.99 Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EARS 1.5TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

$19.99 ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R

Total: $777.95

All help is appreciated. Thanks!

More about : mid budget intel build

October 9, 2010 11:23:10 PM

Your motherboard and CPU are not compatible. It also doesn't look to me like the heatsink is compatible with either mobo or CPU. Here's a really good one: Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B $40. Probably best to choose RAM without tall heatspreaders with this.

I think I would recommend changing the CPU to a socket 1156, such as an i5-760 or i7-860/70. Dual channel memory, 4/8GB fits into these types of motherboards.

You're motherboard isn't SLI or CF capable, so if you want that as an option in the future then you should choose a different motherboard as well. Apparently the MSI P55-G55 is coming back into stock tomorrow. The Asrock P55 Extreme4 might be a good buy. The Asus Sabertooth 55i looks interesting. Maybe you would want to read a review or two of one of these.
The top of the line P55 boards are the Asus P7P55D-E Pro and the MSI P55A-GD65 if you want to spend the money or can find a good combo deal.

I think that there are better/more appropriate power supplies available for $120. Not that the Seventeam is bad, it's just on the Hardwaresecrets review it's ripple at maximum load was approximately 100 mV on the 12V rail, and just looking at newegg up to half way down (to about $130) the $100-$200 section there are loads of power supplies there that don't have ripple that high.
I also thought you said you preferred to use newegg, yet for some reason you're willing to go to another website to get that Seventeam unit, may I ask why?
And you only really need a 650W PSU for a system with two 5850s. The only reason I say that you should up it to a 750 when overclocking your graphics cards as well is because I don't actually know how much extra power overclocking them requires.

Finally a 'green' drive is probably not the best idea for a boot drive, as the harddrive is almost always the slowest part of a system. They are usually in the same price range as performance 7200RPM harddrives, and don't really save a significant amount of power - they're fine for storage or infrequent use, but you should be booting off something like a Samsung Spinpoint F3, WD Caviar Black (Blue if it's a good deal) or Seagate Barracuda. IMO getting a 'green' is slowing yourself down unnecessarily.
m
l
October 10, 2010 2:28:49 AM

Thank you very much for the reply. Now to the points you made

The mobo/cpu mixup was because this was a build originally intended for an i5-760 and it is compatible. However, I was still under the impression that it was cf/SLI ready but thanks for pointing that out.

I also didn't know the cpu cooler was in-compatible. Probably should have done more homework on that. As for the RAM I also forgot to mention that I have 6 gigs (3 x2) of Crucial DDR3 1066 ram. I don't particularly know if this is going to change my mobo/cpu choice, but that is why I am on here asking for help :D 

The power supply... Well the story behind it is that I was partially doing this build with a friend in the room and for some strange reason he swore by this psu saying how it did everything he could ask no problems. I really have no clue why but since I didn't have any real reason to go against him I put it on my build list.

As for the hard drive, thanks for the tip. I havn't put much thought into the hdd area and so i just jotted down the best price/size drive I found not really thinking about it. But that makes perfect sense.

Finally I am wondering why you would suggest 1156? everything i've read says if you can afford it to go for it and a lot of the things I would be using this for I believe would benifit from the extra processing horse power. Just a thought, but you obviously know more about system builds then me. Thanks for the pointers
m
l
October 10, 2010 3:08:31 PM

msa1994 said:
Thank you very much for the reply. Now to the points you made

The mobo/cpu mixup was because this was a build originally intended for an i5-760 and it is compatible. However, I was still under the impression that it was cf/SLI ready but thanks for pointing that out.

I also didn't know the cpu cooler was in-compatible. Probably should have done more homework on that. As for the RAM I also forgot to mention that I have 6 gigs (3 x2) of Crucial DDR3 1066 ram. I don't particularly know if this is going to change my mobo/cpu choice, but that is why I am on here asking for help :D 

The power supply... Well the story behind it is that I was partially doing this build with a friend in the room and for some strange reason he swore by this psu saying how it did everything he could ask no problems. I really have no clue why but since I didn't have any real reason to go against him I put it on my build list.

As for the hard drive, thanks for the tip. I havn't put much thought into the hdd area and so i just jotted down the best price/size drive I found not really thinking about it. But that makes perfect sense.

Finally I am wondering why you would suggest 1156? everything i've read says if you can afford it to go for it and a lot of the things I would be using this for I believe would benifit from the extra processing horse power. Just a thought, but you obviously know more about system builds then me. Thanks for the pointers
That motherboard is CF certified, but the second PCI-E slot is slow, so you would be bottlenecking graphics performance quite a lot. To get optimal two card performance you need two PCI-E x16 2.0 lanes at x8 or above.

Well if you already have 6GB of RAM, it kind of makes sense to use it all, especially if you need all of it for Adobe CS5 (do you? I'm not 100% sure, altho it can't hurt...), you won't for gaming. But it makes more sense to use all of it in a triple channel X58, socket 1366 motherboard. 6GB in a dual channel motherboard would have to run in single channel, however if you did get a P55 motherboard, you could decide to only use two sticks instead of all three.

It costs about $40-80 more to get a really strong 1366 motherboard:
Asus P6X58D-E $230
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R $210
You'd have to read reviews to find a good one that is cheaper than that. Or again find a good combo deal to keep the cost rise manageable.

Rough CPU hierarchy:
i7-950

i7-870

i7-930, i7-860

i5-760

In gaming they're much more equal. So an i7-930 is a strong choice, but doesn't necessarily beat all Lynnfield/P55/1156 CPUs. Guess it all depends on price, because both platforms can fill your needs. I think you can get equal or superior processing power for cheaper; you can squeeze 8GB in a P55 build into the same price as 6GB on a X58 build. This is why I typically suggest 1156. The only advantage X58 has IMO is the ability to add a third graphics card and possibly/dubiously add a hexacore processor if you have the money or can wait for it to get cheap enough.

Some more nitpicking about the Seventeam PSU (it's good I just think you can and should do better). The efficiency isn't quite as good as some of it's competitors. And if the you get the Antec Truepower New TP750 80Plus Bronze Modular you will get slightly higher efficiency (according to the hardwaresecrets review), you also get a longer CPU cable, which might help a bit with cable management. And lower price. It also reviewed positively at jonnyguru and silentpcreview.

The XFX 750W Black Edition 80Plus Silver Modular and the Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-775M 80Plus Bronze Modular are also good options and have rebates which make them competitive in terms of price.

Liking your choice of case, wish I had gone for a Lian Li with my build.
m
l
October 10, 2010 8:33:44 PM

Ok heres my updated parts list.

Case:
$89.99 LIAN LI PC-7FN Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CPU:
$284.99 Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

Cooling:
$39.99 Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler

PSU:
$109.99 Antec Truepower New TP750 80Plus Bronze Modular

Mobo:
$209.99 GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

HDD
$69.99 Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Optical drive:
$19.99 ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk – OEM

Saphire 5850
6(3x 2) gigs 1066 crucial ddr3 memory
1080p dell monitor
windows 7 x64

Total: $824.93

Look Good?
m
l
October 10, 2010 9:08:02 PM

Yea pretty good. Make sure you get this combo: Intel Core i7-930 and Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R $472
Personally I would get the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, as it is pretty much the fastest 1TB drive around, and only cost $5 more, but not really a big deal.
m
l
!