ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600k-core-i5-2500k,2833-8.html
So the Sandy Bridge has come out and i really dont know what to think about it..
Because most of the software that they use really isnt the software that common people or non techies like me use.I want to really know is it worth the extra upgrade.If it is i will be getting SB next month.I did however just buy a new computer this month..
But as i keep on seeing these benchmarks i dont understand why Intel called it the greatest increase in performance in computing history:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sandy-bridge-nehalem-core-i7,11464.html
In closing, I want to mention our next processor family codenamed Sandy Bridge. This quarter, we began volume production of Sandy Bridge and expect to ship revenue units in Q4 as we prepare for systems launch in the first quarter of 2011. Sandy Bridge represents the largest increase in computing performance in our history. This is a truly stunning product that we can’t wait to bring to market. Early demand from customers is much greater than we originally expected and we anticipate a very fast ramp.
Tell me if you think it is amazing because i read the review after review and i see nothing amazing about it..
And please dont be rude just politely give your opinion..

Well, considering SB crushes every other CPU out there, which being cheaper then all the compeititon, I'd say SB the most impressive CPU release since Conroe came out. Especially since these are only the mid-range parts, and not the top-tier i7 products for socket 2011.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i wouldn't say SB crushes the competition

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Core-i5-2500K-vs-Phenom-II-X4-975-BE-CPU-Review/1163

but it certainly does win, and if you are willing to overclock provided thiers (which they admit is an engeneering sample so actual numbers might change) was a legitimate chip then it does widen the gap

as for the greatest advancment in cpu's... intel says that every generation, it's called marketing.

that said if i were building a computer anythime soon and had the money i'd be using a 2600k , amd needs to adjust prices down and likely will over the next few months

When the gap gets to be 30 - 50% then that's "crush" territory :p.

as for the greatest advancment in cpu's... intel says that every generation, it's called marketing.

I don't think Intel has ever stooped to this level:

"We believe that AMD Fusion processors are, quite simply, the greatest advancement in processing since the introduction of the x86 architecture more than forty years ago," said Rick Bergman, senior vice president and general manager, AMD Products Group. "In one major step, we enable users to experience HD everywhere as well as personal supercomputing capabilities in notebooks that can deliver all-day battery life. It's a new category, a new approach, and opens up exciting new experiences for consumers."

That made my eyes roll up and my sox roll down :D..

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

well yes 30-50% in some benchies, when it came to gaming (which is what i care about) it wasn't leaps and bounds ahead

i agree amd is sayign alot anbout thier apu's we'll see if they deliver, they predict replacing low -mid grade gpu's with on die graphics, i... ghighly doubt it, but i'd love to be wrong. i was mostly meaning that intel usualy says the same, i usually block outthe actual advertising hype and pay attention to how it will effect me in gaming... if the answer is in a good way then yay ... if not then i really could care less :D

don't get me wrong here i think the 2600k is a better chip and i think amd as i said needs to adjust prices down to really be competitive i just still don't call it being crushed (in gaming) . getting the wife a new mobo/cpu/ram need an sli board for her gts 450's sli and it'll more than likely be a 2600k and a intel board unless amd really drops prices in the next month

AMW1011

Distinguished
Oh god stop it.

30-50% in one or two instances maybe.

Across the board, about 10%. Sandy Bridge isn't a huge leap, especially in clock vs clock performance.

Sandy what?

Be a pretty hopeless release if it wasn't an improvement on current technology.

It is better and will get even better er er I'm sure but its more of a trophy thing at the minute and I'm not interested in trophys, I'm just underexcited about the whole thing really. If you want one get one, if you don't need one then why spend the money unless you like saying "I've got a Sandy Bridge look at me". If you can pick up a system that covers your needs for less then save some money.

P.S. This isn't a pop at SB owners, I'm sure I will get one some day I'm just underwhelmed by the whole release...shoot me now. :kaola:

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
^ +1

i'm only likely getting one fo rmy wife becuase she's rocking an AM2+ mobo limited to 4 gigs of ram (2x2g max) and has a single core processor... needless to say its time to get her up an di think a 2600k with sli'd 450's and 8 gigs of ram will last her another 4 years liek that build did :D

notty22

Distinguished
Its more than 10%, for the 2600K, thats compared to the i7 920
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/Intel_i7_2600K_i5_2500K/12.html

Conclusion

When the Sandy Bridge processors first entered our labs we were anticipating a substantial performance increase over the previous generation Core architecture, and to that end the 2500K and 2600K managed to not only meet our expectations, but also greatly exceed them. When looking at the performance of the 2600K in comparison to the LGA-1366 Core i7 920, the 2600K was able to handily outperform the older Nehalem architecture, and in some benchmarks it achieved nearly 40% better performance. On average the performance over the i7 920 was around 20% to 30%, which is very impressive considering a current high-end Nehalem (like the Core i7 950) sells for roughly the same price as the 2600K. This essentially means you get a 20% to 30% performance increase at no additional cost! In addition to this, the Sandy Bridge CPUs also have a lower power envelope than Nehalem based processors, so you get more performance and better efficiency at the same price. However, taking into account that the core speed of the 2600K is higher than the 920, we overclocked the Nethalem processor for a better clock for clock comparison. With the Nehalem processor at 3.4GHz the performance gap was reduced, but the 2600K still had a 10% to 15% performance increase in most benchmarks.

AMW1011

Distinguished

3.4 GHz (3.7 Ghz max) VS 2.6 GHz (2.9 GHz max)

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I love how all the people that ONLY care about gaming performance talk about the latest and greatest cpu's

Generally in gaming machine the cpu is irrelevant as long as it doesn't bottleneck the GPU. Or if you're playing at very low resolution, which any one that claims all the care about is gaming would not do.

Frankly you people really just need to shut up.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=203

In the first 13 benchmarks, I7-2600K shows 34% advantage over the P2 X6 1100T in Sysmark07 overall. 38% in e-learning. Only 7% in video creation. 47% in productivity. 48% in 3D. 63% in CS4. 22% in DivX encoding. 19% in x264 firsrt pass, 24% 2nd pass. 40% in WMenc. 39% in 3dsmax CPU, 60% in 3dsmax radiosity, 64% throne shadowmap...

How about 780% in transcoding?? :) Granted that's here on THG and is comparing SB's Quick Sync codec to no acceleration, but then I'm not aware of the 1100T having any specialized circuitry for encoding/decoding video.

Yes, we covered the IPC improvement in SB vs. Nehalem in another thread here, a bit over 10% IIRC. But who is going to underclock their 2600K to 3.06 GHz (in case of the i7-950), or 2.6Ghz (in the case of the i7-920)?? Well, anybody except AMDFangirl that is :D.. Probably 98% of consumers never overclock their CPUs, so the base clock (which is a result of the process as well as design) is an important selling point. Otherwise AMD's Phenom 2's which presumably all have the same IPC for the last 2 years now, wouldn't be selling above $100 or so.

Besides, the fact that SB K versions can easily hit 4.4 - 4.6GHz on the stock cooler tells a lot about the process advantage as well as the design. It's not as trivial an improvement as you seem interested in making it out to be..

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Price was never an issue for me but in most benchmarks i still fell it really wasnt amazing.But the price was the amazing part..

AMW1011

Distinguished

First of all, cut the synthetics. Second of all, I don't care about how it compares to the Phenom X6. Besides look at it compared to the i7 980X, 6 core scaling is terrible in most benchmarks.

Then you have the fact that the i7 2600K is only about 10-15% faster than the i7 950, which is clocked at 400 MHz less.

Finally, these are enthusiasts in this thread talking about SB. I am not recommending anything to the general consumer.

All in all, for us and most people, Sandy Bridge is a decent improvement over Nehalem and Lynnfield, but its nothing too noteworthy with a couple of exceptions (mostly quick sync).

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
But the fact does reside it is the set instructions that has increase the performance of the sandy bridge itself.Some software is more receptive to the upgrade and other software isnt..But for the mainstream consumers it really isnt worth the upgrade.
Yes price is good but it still isnt the determining factor for everyone..

OK, but a quick look at the game benchies show comparable differences between the 2600K and the 1100T. I did the arithmetic on the first 13 benchies - time for somebody else to do it on the rest..

Second of all, I don't care about how it compares to the Phenom X6.

But that was the topic to which you first responded. Goofysmiley said he didn't think SB "crushed the competition", and that's when I pointed out the "30 - 50% advantage" to which you said "30-50% in one or two instances maybe". So let me point out that in 9 of the first 13 benchies, the difference was > 30%. My guess is that the rest of the benchies show a similar advantage..

Besides look at it compared to the i7 980X, 6 core scaling is terrible in most benchmarks.

Well you could do the comparison between the 2600K and the P2 X4 970 which is currently AMD's top 4-core that is listed on the bench page, clocked at 3.5GHz which is 100 MHz over SB's base. I'm not gonna go through the math again but the difference in the bars looks even larger than those for the 1100T. If you want a clock-for-clock comparison you'd have to go with the X4 965.

Then you have the fact that the i7 2600K is only about 10-15% faster than the i7 950, which is clocked at 400 MHz less.

No, the difference is 10.2% at the same clock frequency. It's a bit over 22% compared directly. However that is irrelevant since the i7 950 is not the "competition". I'm pretty sure Intel wouldn't mind selling you either a 2600K or a 950 :D.

Finally, these are enthusiasts in this thread talking about SB. I am not recommending anything to the general consumer.

All in all, for us and most people, Sandy Bridge is a decent improvement over Nehalem and Lynnfield, but its nothing too noteworthy with a couple of exceptions (mostly quick sync).

Then that's where the 4.4 - 4.6GHz oc on the stock cooler should make most enthusiasts here sit up & take notice. And somebody over on XS got 5.5GHz on air cooling. IIRC the best that Nehalem could do (even Westmere which is also on 32nm) was at least 500 MHz lower.

Finally, as has been said all along, these Sandy Bridges are the mainstream CPUs, not the performance versions which are due out in 6 months or so. So they are aimed directly at the 'general consumers'.

AMW1011

Distinguished

Yep I was confused. Of course these crush the competition in non-gaming circumstances, that's nothing new for Intel at the moment.

Yeah those clocks are great and I'm sure that these things are a joy overclock, but few actual applications will scale to those clocks. We saw the same with clarksdale and the E8600 hitting 5GHz+, and really only seeing improvements in a few synthetics.