Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mobo and CPU compatibility

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 5, 2011 4:27:26 PM

Hi all!

Its been quite a while since I build a computer. Many things have changed and I want to make sure I get it right the first time! Can someone verify that the motherboard and CPU go together - or if you notice any potential problems?

ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Other components will be:
EVGA 01G-P3-1366-TR GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : mobo cpu compatibility

a c 142 à CPUs
January 5, 2011 4:48:28 PM

What PSU are you considering? So far, looks like a decent rig.
m
0
l
January 5, 2011 5:19:07 PM

COLGeek said:
What PSU are you considering? So far, looks like a decent rig.


Ideally I would keep my current Antec Earthwatts 430w PSU. I was wondering if that was enough.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 142 à CPUs
January 5, 2011 5:28:06 PM

It would be on the fuzzy edge of being enough given the horsepower of the CPU and GPU. I would suggest (for the additional headroom) stepping up to the 650W class (or so). The GPU requires a 450W PSU according to its specs.

Technically, you would probably be okay at stock speeds, but you should definitely not try to OC anything with only a 430W PSU and these components.

If you were to add a PSU to the mix, what would be your planned budget?
m
0
l
January 5, 2011 5:40:32 PM

They should work together. It's an AM3 125W CPU and this Mobo supports up to 140W.
By the way have you read Toms System Builder Marathon, December 2010. You could find some usefull tips in this article.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-overcloc...

They used an Antec EarthWatts Green 380 W PSU.
Your system will probably use more power though (Your GeForce is a 1GB 160W in the review it was a 768MB 150W and you CPU is 125W, I think they used a 95W CPU ? , but it should give you a rough idea of what PSU you need.

In my humble opinion it should work together, but I don't have a lot of experience, so someone shoud confirm, just to be safe :) 

Also from what I have read the GTX 460 has great Overclocking potential and it would be a shame to waste it ;) 

EDIT: COLGeek is probably right about the PSU it realy is on the line.

m
0
l
January 5, 2011 6:30:38 PM

COLGeek said:
It would be on the fuzzy edge of being enough given the horsepower of the CPU and GPU. I would suggest (for the additional headroom) stepping up to the 650W class (or so). The GPU requires a 450W PSU according to its specs.

Technically, you would probably be okay at stock speeds, but you should definitely not try to OC anything with only a 430W PSU and these components.

If you were to add a PSU to the mix, what would be your planned budget?


If I am going to spring $450+ on components I mind as well foot the bill for a larger PSU. I have absolutely no overclocking experience and I would be nervous to try even with a more powerful PSU.

I read a scary review that the mobo I listed would not run the 125w version of the CPU. Any credibility to that?
m
0
l
January 5, 2011 6:41:15 PM

COLGeek said:
According to Asus, the 125W CPU is fine:
http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=YATvwCy0OZLGNWwp&...

How much would you like to spend (not spend...) on a new PSU?


$50 or so? The plan was to not replace all my hardware during upgrade haha. At some point it might make sense to just build an entire new system and do an A/B switch on my monitor.
m
0
l
a c 142 à CPUs
January 5, 2011 6:48:40 PM

If you aren't going to OC and you can swing a couple more bucks, I would suggest this PSU from Seasonic:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Only 520W (not in the 650W range I suggested earlier), but rock solid and very reliable. Seasonic makes some of the best PSUs in the business.

You can definitely find some great deals at newegg and get down to the $50 ceiling, but with PSUs, you get what you pay for.

Good luck!
m
0
l
January 5, 2011 7:05:35 PM

COLGeek said:
If you aren't going to OC and you can swing a couple more bucks, I would suggest this PSU from Seasonic:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Only 520W (not in the 650W range I suggested earlier), but rock solid and very reliable. Seasonic makes some of the best PSUs in the business.

You can definitely find some great deals at newegg and get down to the $50 ceiling, but with PSUs, you get what you pay for.

Good luck!


Great! I think I will do that, thanks.

Do you have experience with memory? I see a bunch of options and many 2x2gb sticks for vastly different prices. Is there a rule of thumb on that - or just go with the lowest cost?
m
0
l
!