AM2+ CPU in AM2 SOCKET

badoosh

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I am looking to upgrade a desktop pc from a dual core amd cpu to a quad core and need to know if I can use a quad core phenom x4 cpu in an AMD AM2 socket. This is not a AM2+ or AM3 socket its the regular AM2.

True enough, just looking at the cost of AM2+ boards and DDR2 should the OP need more in the future.

I'm still running an AM2+ board and I just brought 6 gig of DDR3 for less than my last set of 2 gig DDR2. :pt1cable:

If your current ram is nothing special I'd still consider making the move to AM3 and upgrading with some cheap DDR3.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Honestly, mate we still don't know what he does!

I'm still on dual-core because my main bottlenecks were more input device wise (tablet) and that tablet cost a bundle ($800 AUD).

For all I know, he could be a bar-starer-upgrader (people who upgrade because they see that the bars are longer on a benchmark on a program they'd never use).

Aussie tennis is nearly as bad as British tennis now apart from Murray.

Used to like Pat Rafter and Hewitt at their best and I watched Pat Cash at Wimbledon.

Not sure, I just know its looking good for us, its on at like 2am over here.

Where abouts are you?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Sydney.

Not near the bush or anything, in the outer suburbs with a quarter-arce block.

Hewitt's doing alright, but he needs that speed to win given is his tatics. He's 29, he ain't at his peak anymore.

The real problem is with the grassroots tennis (no pun intended). There aren't any major competitions and we don't have a single clay court in Sydney.

Did you see the fireworks?

I used to play a lot but I'm not at my peak anymore either. :lol:

Things have picked up in the UK since Murray, he's happier on the hard courts of the Australian Open anyway.

Well, I think you are the furthest away person on here I have chatted to so thats cool.

Are you actually a girl, is that you in your avatar pic?? :heink:

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Nah, but randomizer said they were good.

I'm too lazy for that kinda stuff.

In your mind, I could be a girl, whatever I say won't change your opinion.

The American tennis player Blake shouldn't of cut his hair a few years back,
the dreads he had with marketing and good continuous play would have been good for the sport.
He had to battle cancer.
Too bad Andy Roddick's wife looks better then he plays tennis..

Yeah Blakes awesome to watch, just his shorts are way to big for his legs.
A-Rod went all celebrity but I suppose when you get rich its hard to stay motivated.

Now you have that giant, cant think of his name that took 4 days to play one match at Wimbledon, then lost!!

A mystery Shiela....Crikey! Are you blonde?

(BTW - If you told me you were a 20 stone hairy man then yes my opinion would change!)