Sign in with
Your question

How to fix corrupted files in external hard drive

Last response: in Storage
January 18, 2013 4:40:04 PM

Hi, I am having problem backing up from laptop to external harddrive when i do it says files corrupt will not backup. I have a ton of music and pics on external drive someone suggested to format don't want to lose everything. took months to put music on it. has 1 terabyte only used very small portion of it anything I can do??
a c 940 G Storage
January 18, 2013 10:50:25 PM

Is that your only copy of that data? If so back it up asap.

If not you can fairly safely run a diskcheck on the external . Bring up explorer and rt click on the external drive andleft click on properties. Go to the Tools tab and click the Check Now button. be sure to check off both scanning options and then click start. Now go see a movie or something, this will take a few hours.
m
l
January 19, 2013 12:02:20 AM

In my opinion, you should back up the rest of your important files and run the Error-checking tools on your computer to ensure your hard drive is OK.
Here are steps for you:
Randomly right click a partition in “My Computer” to select “Properties”=> Open “Tools” tab and hit “Check Now”=> Mark “Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors".
You also have to know, your corrupted files may be irrecoverable. Therefore, you should backup your data regularly in the future.
m
l
Related resources
!