Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hlp with networking 2 more pc's with min

Last response: in Networking
May 3, 2010 6:33:43 PM

He everyone!!!! :hello: 

i have 3 PC's i want to connect to via lan. The 2 PC's are in 100ft +/- from my room...and i own a rampage extreme 775. It has dual gigabit lan, so should i get anything else to complete the network? as i'm a noob in this field.

More about : hlp networking min

May 3, 2010 8:20:59 PM

You want to get a SOHO router, and 3 long ethernet cables, and that should do it.
m
l
May 3, 2010 8:30:50 PM

ok :)  i have internet on my rampage, and i dont want to split the speed with the other two pc's, the networking is only for gaming and filetransfer. Are the above hardware enough or is there anything else to add?

since i'm a noob in networking - whats the difference between a switch and a router?
m
l
Related resources
May 3, 2010 8:37:06 PM

Ok, in that case you need the same things, just don't plug the internet into that router, and plug the said router into the unused ethernet port.
m
l
May 3, 2010 8:48:53 PM

alright!!!!

What about the routers placement, should it be located centrally in my house or is it alright to have it next to my rig?

newegg specifies routers of being a switch. Are they one and the same?
m
l

Best solution

May 3, 2010 9:29:05 PM

Routers and Switches are different, you want something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That can do DHCP and has gigabit ports. A gigabit switch would work fine, you would just have to manually assign IP addresses and such and it's more complicated.

Placement dosen't really matter as long as all your cables are less than 100 meters.
May 3, 2010 9:51:59 PM

Gotcha bro! I'll have the network ready in 2 weeks time and hopefully i'll have the pc's in my house when i'm done buying these stuff from my microcenter...i know they have belkin,netgear and linksys but dont know about D-link.BUT will try.

thanx for the help with the TV as well!

One more thing, what does the WAN port do?
m
l
May 3, 2010 9:55:05 PM

I'll keep you postednnBest answer selected by Lutfij.
m
l
May 3, 2010 10:36:47 PM

Lutfij said:
Gotcha bro! I'll have the network ready in 2 weeks time and hopefully i'll have the pc's in my house when i'm done buying these stuff from my microcenter...i know they have belkin,netgear and linksys but dont know about D-link.BUT will try.

thanx for the help with the TV as well!

One more thing, what does the WAN port do?

The WAN port? The wan port is what you would plug your cable/dsl modem into. While you could plug it into a lan port and have it work, you wouldn't then use the routers routing features, or the built in firewall.
m
l
!