Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002
Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Using XP Pro Sp2
my PC for some reason does not display the Printer icon in the system tray,
when documents are sent to it, or any other printer for that matter..

Any idea what could cause that?

Inactive icons are not set to hidden.

TIA
Joseph

In article <3nob2oF2fuifU1@individual.net>, Joseph favored us with...
> Using XP Pro Sp2
> my PC for some reason does not display the Printer icon in the system tray,
> when documents are sent to it, or any other printer for that matter..
>
> Any idea what could cause that?
>
> Inactive icons are not set to hidden.

1. Have you tried actually clicking on the chevron to unhide hidden
icons temporarily? (I know you said they're not set to hidden, but
IME the settings aren't always honored.)

2. If you print only short documents, it's quite possible the whole
document would go to the printer to quickly for the icon to appear.

3. Open up the printer in Settings -> Printers and Fax, then select
Properties -> Advanced. Have you perhaps changed some of these
recently, such a "Print directly to printer"?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002
Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

A big Thank You to both Tim Toolman & Stan Brown for your kind replies.

> Who cares? -> User does.. I don't as long as it prints
> If the printer is
getting data fast and has its own memory, the printer icon would be on and
off so fast you might not see it. - > agreed but back to #1 above
> I have a shortcut to the printer on the desktop -> thanks for the tip
> I'll pass it on

> Have you tried actually clicking on the chevron -> yes I have
>2. If you print only short documents -> same point as Tim so we all agree
>on that - but back to #1 above...
> Open up the printer in Settings -> yes I did check and this user has no
> rights to change anything with...

> Indecision is the key to flexibility. -> I'll borrow that if I may :)

Thanks again Gents - joseph

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
> In article <3nob2oF2fuifU1@individual.net>, Joseph favored us with...
>> Using XP Pro Sp2
>> my PC for some reason does not display the Printer icon in the system
>> tray,
>> when documents are sent to it, or any other printer for that matter..
>>
>> Any idea what could cause that?
>>
>> Inactive icons are not set to hidden.
>
> 1. Have you tried actually clicking on the chevron to unhide hidden
> icons temporarily? (I know you said they're not set to hidden, but
> IME the settings aren't always honored.)
>
> 2. If you print only short documents, it's quite possible the whole
> document would go to the printer to quickly for the icon to appear.
>
> 3. Open up the printer in Settings -> Printers and Fax, then select
> Properties -> Advanced. Have you perhaps changed some of these
> recently, such a "Print directly to printer"?

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "If there's one thing I know, it's men. I ought to: it's
> been my life work." -- Marie Dressler, in /Dinner at Eight/

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:49:47 +0100 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Joseph favored us with...
> A big Thank You to both Tim Toolman & Stan Brown for your kind replies.

I'm glad we helped. It might be nice to share with us all what the
problem was and how you fixed it, so that we'll know when a similar
question is asked in the future. :)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."