AMD Phenom II x4

holi

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Hey guys, I was just wondering if the AMD Phenom II x4 is a good processor , and im speeaking bang for the buck, so please don't tell me i7 or xeon :p.
Its just that I've heard some pretty good reviews and some really bad ones too, like some people were claiming that it couldn't handle WoW with a decent GPU, and WoW isnt really a demanding game. Right now im really puzzled so could you guys please shed some light on this, any answer would be really appreciated.

Thanks a lot, Holi

Hi holi and welcome to Tom's forum.

What budget do you have? and What exactly model are you talking about?, the Phenom II X4 955 and Phenom II X4 965 are very good for price/performance, but with the upcoming Sandy bridge that will change.

holi

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
I was thinking of buying the Phenom II X4 955 and hopefully OCing to 3.6+ Ghz. So you think I should wait for Sandy Bridge and get and i5 instead?, I personally prefer Amd. I'am a student so im on a really tight budget. I only have 900 USD to spend on it max.. I've already chosen all my specs, (GPU, Mobo etc) which leaves me with 190 bucks for my processor. But if i get an intel then mobo will have to change whcih might push me above the limit :/

Anyhow thanks for the reply,
Holi

$900 USD is enough for get a good Intel rig, I also loves AMD, even if you check my system specs I'm AMD user now.

The i5-2500K will comes out around $215, that's a very good price for a CPU that can kickass a 1090T like mine, plus mobo (around $180), plus RAM ($70 for 2x2GB 1600), plus GPU ($240 GTX460), plus PSU ($89 for a good one 650W), plus HD (1TB $60), plus case ($69)....that's $923 without rebates and with the today prices.

Maybe I forgot something in the build, but if I were you, I'd wait 1 more week to Sandy and after that build the rig, even, I'm waiting for it to build one :)

popatim

Titan
I ran Wow on my old pentiumD with a 3850 agp graphics card. An AMD x4 will run it fiine. Anyone who cant has other system issues. If you had planned on a big new hard drive I would suggest getting two smaller ones and raid0 them. With either setup thou if 1 drive fails your data is lost so remember to do your backups.

You have enough of a processor budget to grab a x6 core chip by the way...
You'll need to decide if you can use it or not.

holi

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Thanks alot for the answers, but the only flaw in what you planned out for me is the monitor.. it has to be included into the price as my monitor is old and isnt going to take full advantage of my GPU, so im considering replacing with a full hd, with that said it is going to push the cost over 1000 and i really have no way of getting that money :/
Im really stuck...

Yeah can't wait to see a 2500k at $215. LOL
Besides AMD will just lower prices. People forget you can still run a 955 on your DDR2 platform, where as Intel just seems to change motherboards every year lately essentially screwing their customers over and over.

For gaming, a 955 will do you fine unless your running very high end video cards and in that case your likely not going for a 955 anyways.

See it: http://www.microcenter.com/storefronts/powerspec/index.html

$249.99 before $70 instant. Wait, is that $215 or less? Yeah, limit one only, one million units?