Sign in with
Your question

Project Denver-----Nvidia to make a cpu

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 5, 2011 8:33:42 PM

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4099/nvidias-project-denv...

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/01/project-denver-processo...

Quote:
As you may have seen, NVIDIA announced today that it is developing high-performance ARM-based CPUs designed to power future products ranging from personal computers to servers and supercomputers.
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2011 9:34:00 PM

Hmm, let's hope they call it the "Can o' Whoopass!" CPU :D .
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2011 10:11:05 PM

Looks to me as an extra option instead of the old x86 path for PCs and servers, in fact if you read what they said in the blog that's exactly what they what to do! But that's an up hill battle for sure. Looks like we'll have a third player in the game (not counting VIA).
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2011 1:03:52 AM

Interesting and predictable.

With Intel gobbling well over 80% of the x86 market now I'd imagine AMD might also invest in ARM too.

With MS porting their future OS to ARM it makes sense i guess.

Because Intel own X86 AMD must be paying a monsterous amount to them for the license ... that leaves VIA where?

ARM (from Wiki) charges roughly an 11 cent royalty per cpu sold ... that sound about right?

a b à CPUs
January 6, 2011 8:03:32 AM

Well at least they let you use the arch.

Look at Intel :/ 

If Intel let Nvidia design x86, it'd have gobbled up VIA, increased production of the VIA Nano X2 so non-OEMs could buy it, then relabeled it as a Geforce Ultimate CUDA or something like that.
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 6, 2011 2:11:35 PM

Yeah because their ARM strategy has been real successful so far. Just look at all the products that used the first Tegra.

Oh wait............
a b à CPUs
a b Î Nvidia
January 6, 2011 2:13:57 PM

amdfangirl said:
Well at least they let you use the arch.

Look at Intel :/ 

If Intel let Nvidia design x86, it'd have gobbled up VIA, increased production of the VIA Nano X2 so non-OEMs could buy it, then relabeled it as a Geforce Ultimate CUDA or something like that.

I'm sure nVidia considered it, but I believe that VIAs X86 licences is nontransferable and would be voided if another company bought them. So the only way to merge nVidia and VIA is to have VIA buy nVidia, and well, fat chance of that :D 
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2011 2:18:39 PM

I hope they can give pressure to Intel..I feel board of trying to pick a cpu then seeing Intel intel intel bashing amd amd amd..
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2011 3:50:24 AM

megamanx00 said:
I'm sure nVidia considered it, but I believe that VIAs X86 licences is nontransferable and would be voided if another company bought them. So the only way to merge nVidia and VIA is to have VIA buy nVidia, and well, fat chance of that :D 

Well, they can't, it's part of the deal with the x86.

VIA and Nvidia should work together. Not combine, but Nvidia should make chipsets for VIA, that kinda stuff.
!