I think I made a FOOOOBAR with memory...

Geogi

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I purchased G.Skill F3-12800CL7-4GBRM in a cloudy moment and when it came I see that it is optimized for LGA1156, i5, etc. My plan was to get an X4 965 with decent 890FXA mobo. Should I return it? If so what memory should I get or does it make any difference? I think 4 GB is enough. It seems AMD has its' nuts in a row better than Intel with it's P55 / P67 conundrum. I just want a decent machine that is STABLE.... I hate dealing with problems and tinkering... Build it... Use it... Make new one 6 yrs later...

Thanks in advance. You guys and gals ROCK,

Solution
More people know Intel, and the newer line up of intel processors has different requirements for the memory voltage than the DDR3 spec does. Technically DDR3 spec suggests 1.5V, and allows up to 1.9V, the Intel Core i3/i5/i7 chips have their memory controller voltage tied to the memory voltage and get damaged if the voltage goes above 1.65V, so in this case "Optimized" means that it doesnt need more than 1.65V to run properly which it really shouldnt anyway.

Dadiggle, check your facts on the WD disks, the RE models are better for RAID but you can RAID any set of identical disks you have because its handled by the board not the hard drive.
More people know Intel, and the newer line up of intel processors has different requirements for the memory voltage than the DDR3 spec does. Technically DDR3 spec suggests 1.5V, and allows up to 1.9V, the Intel Core i3/i5/i7 chips have their memory controller voltage tied to the memory voltage and get damaged if the voltage goes above 1.65V, so in this case "Optimized" means that it doesnt need more than 1.65V to run properly which it really shouldnt anyway.

Dadiggle, check your facts on the WD disks, the RE models are better for RAID but you can RAID any set of identical disks you have because its handled by the board not the hard drive.

Solution