Problem with my Brand New WD Green 2TB 64MB SATA6 Gb/s HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mevlutunlu

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
After starting to get write problems and some smart warnings on my old Western Digital Green 1TB HDD (WD10EADS) I decided to buy a new drive for my old computer.

I don't have enough resources to afford a new desktop PC right now so I have a desktop with Asus P5KPL-AM SE mainboarad (with latest Bios Update / supports 3GB/s HDD WİTH 2 SATA ports) with a P4 processor.

I just bought a brand new WD Green 2TB 64MB SATA6 Gb/s (WD20EARX) HDD, installed and wanted to backup my data to my new drive. It took me 6 hours to full format it.
After the format I started copying files from my old to the new one but it was extremely slow both on read and write speed. Not close to my old corrupted 1TB WD HDD, not even close to my third old 120 GB maxtor HDD on IDE port. I found a jumper and installed it as shown in the WD'S site to set the speed to 3GB/s, quick formatted it for a few times but nothing worked. It is very slow and my CPU usage increases to %100 when reading or writing. I checked the Bios settings and nothing seems to be unusual. I suspect my new HDD is faulty but not sure about it. I quick checked it with WD's Diagnostic Utility and there seems to be no errors. I didn't full checked it because I am sure it takes tens of hours. Should I return it? Do you think WD will accept it?

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Hi...

You can try a scandisk or run a defrag on it but I would remove the hdd from the system and return for RMA or exchange.

I ran into a similar issue with a 750GB WD Black drive, and after fiddling with it for a couple of days I decided to exchange it before the 15 day exchange policy expired.

The replacement work liked a charm.

It's a mechanical drive and sh!7 happens!

mevlutunlu

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Hi popatim. Thanks for the reply. But this “Alignment” thing did really confuse me. I`ve read the article on WD`s site but didn`t get much info. I haven`t installed an OS or never partitioned it. I use it for storage only. When I first got it it was not formatted and I formatted it with usual method on Win XP. Now I wonder if I still have to use the alignment tool to get a better performance?

111dion

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

to fix any partitioning/formatting or alignment problem with vista download AOMEI partition assistant professional full v5.1 **put pin across jumper 7&8 (advance format mode) and do the following .Make 50% partition and format it then increase partition to the full 2tb size. This worked to solve all my problems with this 2tb green HDD.

jxsilicon9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2013
WD green drives are notorious for their problems and failure rate.I wouldn't use those as a paperweight. You can sell that drive and get a better quality drive.

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

I personally have 2 1.5TB WD drives in a RAID and they have not given me an issue at all. I also have 2x 3TB My Book Essentials and they too are Green drives. My system is on 24/7.
I had a WD Black HDD fail on me after a year and was replaced under warranty.
I guess some have more problems than others.

rjbahnsen

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
Hi - See my post. WD no help at all, pathetic really for HDD still in warranty. I had 3TB and 2 TB fail and after all the usual software and other trys got PCB replacement from outfit in Canada after begging WD for help. Going to data recovery firms as advised by WD way too expensive. Great service from Canada outfit and found on ebay. USD 75.00 and all good now. Tried to claim costs from WD but no joy. Will be buying Seagate or other from now on.

rjbahnsen

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
Agreed you can get replacement under warranty but that does not solve your data recovery problem. The PCB replacement saved my bacon and at a reasonable cost - under USD100. Elmo_2006 has got the right advice for WD HDD. Sell em, junk em or whatever and buy other brands

Hard drive makers have never includes data recovery for home users(now you can get it for a fee up front on some drives, but not all).

For that USD100 you could have had an external and had constant backups save your bacon as well.

I am going to close this thread just because it is over a year old. If you wish to discuss hard drives, warranties, recovery, feel free to drop me a PM or start a thread to see what others have to say as well.

Have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.