Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Recovering a formatted external HDD??

Last response: in Storage
January 18, 2013 8:05:06 PM

Hi Tom's Hardware Community

I recently did a fresh Windows install and accidentally formatted my external HDD with all my backup data on it. I know, stupid right. Anyway here we are.

From what I have read, the data is still there, and is recoverable until the drive overwrites it with new data. So, from what I understand, the way to get it back is 3rd party software. I know there is a lot of free software out there that claim they can get my data back, but I really don't want to try until I know which method would be best and give the best results. I am willing to drop down some cash for reliable software.

So I'm looking for some suggestions and testimonials from someone who has been in my shoes.

Thanks in advance.
a c 887 G Storage
January 18, 2013 9:37:30 PM

Recuva has worked very well for me in the past; so much so that I don't recommend a paid app. Recuva worked better than my $50 "pro" app. LOL
m
l

Best solution

January 19, 2013 12:19:37 AM

This free formatted drive recovery tool is for you:
http://blog4mark.blogspot.com/2012/12/sd-card-format-re...
Actually, I recommend this one because it has recovered my photos, videos and other files from my mistakenly formatted SD card before. I find it in this forum, too. It has restored 90% of my erased data. I hope it will help you.
Note: if you want to get back your data completely, you should never rewrite the original data as you have read.
You also should get a good habit to back up your important data regularly in the future.
Best wishes!
January 20, 2013 4:48:36 PM

Best answer selected by gghilliard.
m
l
!