Sign in with
Your question

Asus G51J speckle noise causes screen to be unreadable

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 25, 2010 7:47:38 PM

I have an ASUS G51J with an nVidia GeForce GTS 360M video card, and from time to time the pixels on the screen scramble and it is impossible to read. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it. So far, it has only happened while using Internet Explorer 8 and Windows 7.0.
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 163 U Graphics card
August 25, 2010 9:23:25 PM

Run a video card stress test, 3dmark should do the trick. See if the display corruptions shows up. When they scramble, do they go back to normal on it's own or do you need to shut the laptop down?
m
l
August 26, 2010 5:42:12 PM

3Dmark is having trouble detecting my hardware, so I need to figure out how to get it the information it needs, or use another program. However, to answer your second question, the noise eventually goes back to normal. I am not absolutely sure at the moment what makes that happen, but I think that it is related to getting the screen to refresh. That is what makes me suspect the driver or perhaps the card. Maybe under certain conditions it has this problem and then if you refresh the screen later under different conditions the problem is not exercised.
m
l
Related resources
August 26, 2010 5:44:09 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Run a video card stress test, 3dmark should do the trick. See if the display corruptions shows up. When they scramble, do they go back to normal on it's own or do you need to shut the laptop down?

oops, it looks as if I was supposed to reply directly. however, my reply is below in another post. The summary is that I think that getting the screen to refresh makes the problem go away. I'll be doing some further work, I guess.
m
l
August 28, 2010 7:53:24 PM

I ran the PassMark 7.0 benchmark and saw no problems. Perhap it is not as strenuous as the 3dmark tests, but it tested all the major components of the system, including the graphics card. I have seen the problem show up twice in the past couple of days. Both times I was using Windows IE 8. The first time, the speckle noise was fully contained within the IE 8 window. However the second time it extended beyond the window. Both times I was able to get the noise to go away by scrolling the window or moving it about the screen to get it to refresh. Perhaps the problem is some sort of interaction between IE 8 (64 bit) and the Windows window manager. As far as I know, no one else has seen this problem, but I no longer suspect that the video card is the problem.
m
l
October 27, 2010 3:35:37 PM

I have the same problem with my ASUS G51J. It happens when running flash video (hulu or other sites) for extended periods. Doesn't happen with silverlight. Happens just displaying a screensaver sometimes too. Very annoying and causes me to have to reboot.

Did you find a solution? I have upgraded to the latest Nvidia driver (260.89) but it still happens occasionally.
m
l
!