Sign in with
Your question

Sata 3.0 SSD OR mSata SSD

Last response: in Storage
January 18, 2013 9:11:33 PM

Hey forums, I'm using a desktop with Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Mother board. Which has an mSata slot.

I'm using 3 HDD total of approximately 2.7TB. I am planning to install an SSD.

So my questions are, whats the difference between an mSata SSD And a normal SSD?

depending on your answers;

I want to install my OS on the SSD, I want to install important software on the SSD.
I want some of my games to be "cached" on the SSD/mSata SSD

As far as i know, The mSata SSD is only used for caching??

Should i buy 2 SSD's? One for mSata and other for Sata 3?

Thanks!

More about : sata ssd msata ssd

a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
January 18, 2013 9:20:47 PM

If you put your OS on the SSD and games on the SSD you will see no difference between that and using MSata. If you are running the games from your HDD you will see a slight increase using the MSata.

I recommend skipping the MSata and buying the bigger SSD to allow you to put the games on the SSD.
m
l
January 18, 2013 9:31:42 PM

Just think of mSATA as a SATA port that lets an SSD be attached directly to the mobo. It would be easier to install the msata, you dont need to worry about taking up another SATA port or getting another SATA power connector for it, becasue its powered by the mobo. msata SSD's can be used for anything a non-msata SSD can be used for, OS, storage, ect.., not just caching.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
January 18, 2013 9:40:48 PM

MotherFerJones said:
Just think of mSATA as a SATA port that lets an SSD be attached directly to the mobo. It would be easier to install the msata, you dont need to worry about taking up another SATA port or getting another SATA power connector for it, becasue its powered by the mobo. msata SSD's can be used for anything a non-msata SSD can be used for, OS, storage, ect.., not just caching.

As far as I know the mSata is used for caching only. I have never heard or read of someone using it like a normal drive. Do you have any review links etc.?
m
l
January 18, 2013 9:55:33 PM

MotherFerJones said:

I didn't get the last part you said.

let me correct this: What is the difference between an SSD that is on mSata. And an SSD that is hooked up normally.
(mSata SSD, Only used for caching?)
(Normal SSD, transferring files, installing OS And software)
If what is said is correct, Then Which one is better?
-Caching a game/software and Running it From my HDD?
-Running the game/software of the SSD Directly?)
OR The mSata is same as normally hooked SSD?

Thanks!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
January 18, 2013 10:31:09 PM

The other part was for the other poster.

Runnihg the game off the SSD is best. No MSata needed

BTW I think Jones is wrong.

m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
January 18, 2013 11:00:39 PM

mSATA can be used as a boot drive. Not just for caching. Anand at anandtech did it with his HTPC:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5861/replacing-my-htpc-wi...

All mSATA ports that I've seen on motherboards are SATA2 though, so check on that. If your Gigabyte board is SATA2 on the mSATA port, then you'd definitely be better off going for a standard SSD and use SATA3.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
January 18, 2013 11:08:59 PM

Thanks for the link. He says he did it but not how. Is it a setting in the bios? I never connected to my mSata due to the misconception that a cache was all it was good for.
m
l
January 19, 2013 12:52:31 AM

I've been looking for the link but cant find it, on Tom;s here awhile ago they built an all in one, do-it-yourself loop case. They used an mSATA on the mobo as the boot drive.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
January 19, 2013 1:00:03 AM

rwpritchett proved your point. I apologize. I was ignorant of that ability.
m
l
May 12, 2013 7:41:11 AM

hitmanwc said:
MotherFerJones said:

I didn't get the last part you said.

let me correct this: What is the difference between an SSD that is on mSata. And an SSD that is hooked up normally.
(mSata SSD, Only used for caching?)
(Normal SSD, transferring files, installing OS And software)
If what is said is correct, Then Which one is better?
-Caching a game/software and Running it From my HDD?
-Running the game/software of the SSD Directly?)
OR The mSata is same as normally hooked SSD?

Thanks!

I have an mSata in my laptop, you can use it just as a normal drive, I use it to boot windows and store my most important games.
I have Crucial mSata M4 256GB, Write speed: 500MB/s, read speed: 260MB/s. I run that along with a traditional hard disk.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 13, 2013 8:04:31 AM

mSATA drives are usually much more expensive compared to 2.5", so there is no real benefit only installation is easier. But you can't put it into every normal machine, because not many have mSATA ports.
m
l
!