Powereing Cold Cathodes outside the computer case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikefletcher85

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I know this is a weird question and i'm not sure if its even in the right area...

I was going through my old boxes and came across 2 sets of Cold Cathodes seen here

I got them way back when I custom built my AMD Athlon XP computer and since i have gotten a new computer that no longer has a window (nor do I want to put one in). I imagine there must be a DIY way of using them from outside a computer case with an adapter that I can just plug right into the wall. It appears that it connects to the Yellow and Black wires on the molex connector (which is 12v) and the site says "Current draw: 5.0mAv " but I am a total noob when it comes to electrics. Any suggestions? Im sure google is my friend but I just can think of what terms to use.

Thanks for the help!

Solution
OK they have a built in inverter that gets 12volt DC current supplied and converts it to 680V. Using it outside the case would require any power supply or transformer that can deliver the 12 volt DC current. 5.0mAv is the same as writing 0.005Av so they use very little power.
OK they have a built in inverter that gets 12volt DC current supplied and converts it to 680V. Using it outside the case would require any power supply or transformer that can deliver the 12 volt DC current. 5.0mAv is the same as writing 0.005Av so they use very little power.

Solution

mikefletcher85

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Wow.. i just cant read :( i though it was 5A... not 5mA..

here's another noob question.. I picked up a AC to DC adapter from The Shack and its rated at 12VDC and 1A. would it be safe for just one of the cathode kits? also I have 2 kits, would i be able to run both at the same time?

Thanks again!

mikefletcher85

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Just an update.. I put it to the test and found that when i had both connected and turned on they would just flash every now and then. I assume that together they need 1A and I might have lost some of that in the wiring? would i just be better getting a 2A one? Do the cathodes only use what they need and will the added Amps damage them?

Status
Not open for further replies.