1) Any 5970 manufacturers to stay away from? I did a cursory overview of Newegg reviews of the various manufacturer's 5970s and it seemed I could immediately eliminate groups like HIS and Diamond as they seemed to have no technical support whatsoever or were non-native English / Chinese and, as such, seemed to offer poor service.
2) Just what am I paying for for a $680 5970 instead of a $600 one? Is that logistical input? The only one that I could see that offered an explicit added benefit was XFX's which had an overclock utility program which I don't really see me using.
3) Is the PSU within your guys' recommended range? I know what Newegg says but I'd like to know if there's a bit more nuance to it than just saying "689W flat"; there has to be some kind of healthy range and I'd hate to buy on the short end of that.
4) It seems you need a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI connector adaptor for my HDMI monitor to be hooked up to my 5970. Is this correct and, out of curiousity, will the fact that it's an adaptor pose any added latency issues ontop of the default 2ms?
5) Do I have wireless and ethernet support as is?
6) I want the case with the best airflow and cooling that's reasonably priced; aesthetics is a lower priority. I'm not afraid of doing something unusual like the Antec Skeleton so long as it will fit my 12" 5970 in it. If I can still get *great* airflow, my highest priority, I would like to get as small of a case as possible. Gigantic cases have always been ugly and inconvenient to me. At one time, I was seriously considering one of those transparent cubes, but I don't know if it'll fit a 12" graphics card and my selected mobo. I don't see me needing all those drive slots in a full tower.
7) How much of a bottleneck will not having an SSD be? I'm planning on upgrading to one when I buy another 5970 a couple years from now as well as a bigger PSU.
8) I doubt going 7,200 RPM instead of 10,000 RPM will hold me back moreso than the $100 price difference being spent elsewhere on the computer, right?
9) Should I wait and build this if the ATI 6000 series comes out circa November? I'm willing to wait if the price will be roughly comparable to a 5970 right now or not much greater than $700, but if it's ~$800, I'll pass. I don't have much experience with keeping up with the graphics market like you guys and would greatly benefit from your experience with where you usually see price points and when you expect the 6000 to be on the market, "unforeseen" delays actually included. I've also read recently in these forums that the dual-GPU 5970 doesn't scale well in CF. Will there be any single-GPU 6000 cards released when they first start coming out or will they just keep doing dual-GPU on a PCB?
I'm kind of starting to hit a hard spot between work, class, and researching every last inch of this computer project so I'd greatly appreciate being able to lean on your guys' collective wisdom to polish the rest of this and ensure bottleneck minimization. Thanks.
1. your newegg shopping cart is not visible - fill out the newbuild form so we can see your proposed build.
2. For that amount of $$$ you want to enjoy the pickup you'd get from an SSD - you may want to wait until the prices drop after Intel releases their next generation product in the next quarter as the rumors are about 50% price cuts.
3. If you're set on ATI/AMD for your GPU wait until the 6000 series is out - save $$$ and/or improve your system, and we're only talking days from now at this point.