Sign in with
Your question

Please check for caompatibility

Last response: in Systems
October 10, 2010 4:05:56 AM

Hi......I am going to buy a new CPU and I'm unsure whether the following configuration will work without any problems.....a help will be thankful.

Processor:Intel I7-950

Motherboard: Gigabyte-GA-X58A-UD3R

Ram:G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

GPU: 1 GB NVIDIA MSI 250GTS (Older GPU which I'm not replacing...)

that's it... I have a sea gate 500GB sata HD.

All I want to know is whether the mother board will support the ram and the GPU. I hv checked Gigabyte's site which says the RAM is supported by the Mobo

here's the link:

I also checked G.SKILL's web site for RAM compatibility with the Mobo and that didn't include the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

here's the link : ......

I came to know from other sites that people had issues with RAM which was not included in the compatible list posted by gigabyte in the above link.....

Please Help.........

More about : check caompatibility

October 10, 2010 4:14:21 AM

i7 9 xx processors fit that mother board and you could use that RAM , but you shouldn't
The cpu and motherboard support TRIPLE channel RAM so you should buy either
a
3 x 2 gigabyte RAM kit if you have a 64 bit version of windows
or 3 x 1 gig kit if you have a 32 bit OS

If you just want dual channel your mb should be able to do that , but you are wasting money and should just buy an i5 760 and a mb with an LGA 1156 socket .

Even then that RAM you have selected is pretty ordinary . The timings are high and you can pay $10 more and get 1600MHz cas 7 timings
m
l
October 10, 2010 4:31:30 AM

Outlander_04 said:
i7 9 xx processors fit that mother board and you could use that RAM , but you shouldn't
The cpu and motherboard support TRIPLE channel RAM so you should buy either
a
3 x 2 gigabyte RAM kit if you have a 64 bit version of windows
or 3 x 1 gig kit if you have a 32 bit OS

If you just want dual channel your mb should be able to do that , but you are wasting money and should just buy an i5 760 and a mb with an LGA 1156 socket .

Even then that RAM you have selected is pretty ordinary . The timings are high and you can pay $10 more and get 1600MHz cas 7 timings

I wanted to buy a 1156 socket but i heard that 1156 would be dead socket and there are no further additions to it. The RAM which i'v selected is DDR3@1600 MHZ and has CAS9 latency which i think is better than cas7 which u have mentioned.Coming to the Mobo since it supports both Dual/triple channel memory i think 4GB is more than enough so it would support Dual channel Memory....may be the future I may add another 2GB with same configuration which then supports Triple channel memory.
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2010 7:34:30 PM

All sockets are dead sockets next year .

The processor cores of an i7 9xx and an i5 760 are identical so expect both to be discontinued when the new sandy bridge technology appears . But to be fair I havent read intels road map .

Cas 7 is FASTER than CAS 9 . Its a measure of the number of cycles it takes to find data on the memory chip .
Obviously finding it in 7 cycles is quicker than finding it in 9
m
l
October 11, 2010 1:36:21 AM

Outlander_04 said:
All sockets are dead sockets next year .

The processor cores of an i7 9xx and an i5 760 are identical so expect both to be discontinued when the new sandy bridge technology appears . But to be fair I havent read intels road map .

Cas 7 is FASTER than CAS 9 . Its a measure of the number of cycles it takes to find data on the memory chip .
Obviously finding it in 7 cycles is quicker than finding it in 9

Well thanks fr the reply....I came to know that Sandy Bridge architecture has a series of processors like the I7..which may support the LGA 1366 socket.......and you didn't answer my issue of compatibility.....
m
l
October 11, 2010 1:38:25 AM

With the Graphics card especially.......
m
l
October 11, 2010 5:49:48 AM

The graphics card will work .

m
l
October 11, 2010 5:06:09 PM

Outlander_04 said:
The graphics card will work .

Thanks for the reply....I could definitely invest another $10 for a better RAM but the problem is in my country the rise in price in dollars is not proportionate with my currency......it would be a 120%-150% increase with the increase in a single dollar...as of now my budget is a bit streched and may be i cant afford another $10 increase any how can we spot the exact difference between a CAS 7 and CAS 9 with respect to performance issues....????
m
l
!