Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard Drive not recognized.

Last response: in Storage
January 19, 2013 12:46:52 AM

So I built my computer and everything is running fine. Though it just occured to me that everything is being loaded to my SSD and since its only a 64 gb one it's just about out now. I also have a 1TB drive but I can't seem to find it on my computer. I do remember when I set up my BIOS that it asked me what drive I wanted to load my OS on and it listed both of them so I know it was recognized. The computer has only been running for 5 days so I refuse to believe that it already broke. My computer only shows my SSD and my Disk drive. Any ideas?

More about : hard drive recognized

January 19, 2013 1:27:59 AM

xTactical Llama said:
So I built my computer and everything is running fine. Though it just occured to me that everything is being loaded to my SSD and since its only a 64 gb one it's just about out now. I also have a 1TB drive but I can't seem to find it on my computer. I do remember when I set up my BIOS that it asked me what drive I wanted to load my OS on and it listed both of them so I know it was recognized. The computer has only been running for 5 days so I refuse to believe that it already broke. My computer only shows my SSD and my Disk drive. Any ideas?

And I just wanted to add after I posted this I shut down my computer and opened up the case. All the connections are in place, and just to check I turned on the computer and could physically feel the Hard Drive running. So how do I get my computer to recognize it?
a b G Storage
January 19, 2013 2:31:27 PM

Right Click My Computer, goto Manage. Click on Disk Management. Do you see 2 HDDs within? It may not be initialized. Inwhich case it will most likeyly prompt you as soon as you click disk management.
Related resources
January 19, 2013 10:40:00 PM

blackmancer said:
Right Click My Computer, goto Manage. Click on Disk Management. Do you see 2 HDDs within? It may not be initialized. Inwhich case it will most likeyly prompt you as soon as you click disk management.

Okay that worked. I see it. Now how do I get my computer to start putting files on that drive?
January 20, 2013 4:41:31 AM

It says it's online and unallocated. Where do I go from here?

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 20, 2013 7:48:29 AM

create a partition on it. in the prompt, keep hitting next basically, just make sure you assign a drive letter like D or E. once it formats the drive it will be usable and you should see it in My Computer
January 20, 2013 12:38:01 PM

blackmancer said:
create a partition on it. in the prompt, keep hitting next basically, just make sure you assign a drive letter like D or E. once it formats the drive it will be usable and you should see it in My Computer

OKay thanks. It looks like everything is up and running as it should.
January 20, 2013 12:38:13 PM

Best answer selected by xTactical Llama.
!