Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Is this a good combo?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • USB3
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
January 6, 2011 2:06:20 AM

Is this a good combo for a mobo & cpu?

ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks!

More about : good combo

January 6, 2011 2:07:31 AM

or maybe suggestions for an Intel alternative...
m
0
l
a c 257 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 6, 2011 2:09:09 AM

What are you planning on using it for? The 1090T is expensive for an AMD processor and looses to the higher clocked quads in many applications so consider whether you need those extra two cores or if a 955 or 965 will work just as well for you.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 6, 2011 2:18:12 AM

I'm planning to replace an old Dell Optiplex. I'm looking for a moderate gaming pc for my kids (3d capable, good graphics, etc).
m
0
l
January 6, 2011 6:58:09 PM

Great find. Thanks a lot for the link - good information!!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2011 7:34:11 PM


Wait for the i5-2500K. It won't be more than 250$ and destroys any AMD CPU.
Or if you're low on budget get that mobo + Athlon II X4 645.
m
0
l
January 6, 2011 7:38:57 PM

Nah, if is any athlon i would get the x3 one in that link
but really i think that just about any phenom blows the athlons out of the water
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2011 7:41:47 PM

jorn978 said:
Nah, if is any athlon i would get the x3 one in that link
but really i think that just about any phenom blows the athlons out of the water


Yes, and the Sandy Bridge i5/i7 blows any Phenom II X4/X6 out of the water :D 
m
0
l
January 6, 2011 7:46:58 PM

unknown_13 said:
Yes, and the Sandy Bridge i5/i7 blows any Phenom II X4/X6 out of the water :D 

True :p 
m
0
l
January 15, 2011 11:56:24 PM

I found the Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz at a decent price ($225). There are a couple Mobo/Video combo's at NewEgg. I just need to select a good combo.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2011 1:10:52 AM

How about this???

CPU Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500 - - - - $210

MOBO GIGABYTE GA-H67MA-UD2H LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $125

Case w/ PSU Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $90

Video card No Need. The video built into the processor will put out a very good HDVI signal for up to 1080p.

Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -$90

Hard Drive SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -$70

CD/DVD LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD±RW SuperMulti Drive - --- - - - - - - - - $18

This is (i think) a complete computer - minus the keyboard, mouse, monitor - peripheral stuff cause I don't know if you needed it, for only - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $603.

I didn't get the "K" series processor cause then you would need a video card for the board and a board that supports that overclocking instead of on chip video. For an extra $20 you can get the i7 2600 but I'm not sure what your budget might be so I thought I'd go with the almost best. If you want to go with an overclock board for the processor now and get a video card you will have more options in the future for upgrades with the video card and being able to overclocking the processor for increased performance but again, I went with a little more budget conscious choices. Let us know what preferences you might have and we can go from there.

Oh, and this board supports a 16X video card if you want to add that to the current build just let us know and we'll give you suggestions on that as well.
m
0
l
January 16, 2011 3:43:26 AM

An i7 for an extra $20? I can do that! So $625 so far - need to bump the RAM to 16GB, if possible and a case with better ventilation.

So far it looks like a winner!!!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2011 5:06:19 AM

So you want the 2600 - ooops the 2500K is $20 more, the 2600 is $80 more. Now I know why you sounded so excited, sorry.
As for the case I found the Thermaltake V9 Black Edition ATX Computer Gaming Chassis with Dual Oversized 230mm Ultra-Silent Cooling Fans VJ400G1N2Z Mid Tower for - - - - - - - $100.
And you will need this SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply for an additional - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $70.
All we need to do for the ram is double the price to - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $180

So with those upgrades, (without the i7), the price comes to - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $773 - - - - with the i7 2600 it comes to $863

Why do you want to go with the extra 8GB's of ram? It won't get any use in the games and unless you're going to be doing video editing/compiling or running several virtual machines you'll never use it in today's programs. I wouldn't put it in the initial build. You can also always add it down the road if things become that memory dependent. Of course the biggest price increase was the psu and case. That almost doubled in price. Those chips don't usually run that hot to begin with but it's always good to have extra cooling so I'm with you on that. You or someone else might be able to do a better job of finding a less expensive case/psu combo but that's all I could come up with. Again, sorry for the misinformation on the cpu price but that is one increase that is definitely worth the money. So let us know what you think so far and if you have any other ideas on what you want we can work on that too.
m
0
l
January 16, 2011 12:53:32 PM

I like the components listed. The i7 isn't out of the question. If I revert to 8GB RAM that would offset the price of the upgraded CPU. Even so, I can always upgrade RAM later. I'll search around for another case combo - just to see what is out there.

Any suggestions for a monitor. I'd like to get a 24" (or bigger). I like the Dell 24" but that costs around $500 but does have a lot of features - just not happy with price.
m
0
l
January 16, 2011 2:00:58 PM

I can use the on-board to start. I was researching this one -

XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Might be suitable to fit my modest needs.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2011 2:20:28 PM

Vizio 24 in. (Diagonal) Class 1080p Eco LCD HD Television / Sears item # 71909 / Mfr. model # VX240M / Brand: Vizio / Rating 5.0- - - -$255

Samsung® 24-inch Widescreen LCD HDTV Monitor with Built-in TV Tuner / Part Number: B2430HD - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - $304

24" JVC LED 1080p HDTV / Model: LT24EM71 / Item #: 984290 / 1920 x 1080 / 60Hz Refresh Rate / Dolby Digital / 2 HDMI Inputs - - - -$278

Will these work or do you have a brand preference?



m
0
l
January 16, 2011 4:15:09 PM

So here's my first pass. A little higher than I originally thought. Let me know if any items can be purchased at a lower price point or any modifications to the config.

Monitor
ASUS VH242HL-P Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor w/height & swivel adjustment
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU
ASUS EAH6850 DirectCU/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mobo
ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard Drive
SAMSUNG Spinpoint MP4 HM500JJ 500GB 7200 RPM 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case & PSU
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750-ACAAE3-US 750W ATX12V v2.31 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Optical Drive
PLEXTOR Internal DVD Super Multi Model PX-L890SA - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2011 8:56:16 AM

jaide said:
So here's my first pass. A little higher than I originally thought. Let me know if any items can be purchased at a lower price point or any modifications to the config.

Monitor
ASUS VH242HL-P Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor w/height & swivel adjustment
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU
ASUS EAH6850 DirectCU/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mobo
ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard Drive
SAMSUNG Spinpoint MP4 HM500JJ 500GB 7200 RPM 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case & PSU
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750-ACAAE3-US 750W ATX12V v2.31 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Optical Drive
PLEXTOR Internal DVD Super Multi Model PX-L890SA - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Change the PSU to some 600W CM Silent Pro Series. GX series are #$!@.

And get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD.
m
0
l