MAC address on Toshiba Satellite 1405-S151

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
January 8, 2005 10:27:02 AM

Does anyone know how i can change the MAC address of the network card
on a Toshiba Satellite 1405-S151? The system basically has all of the
factory settings in place. All I've done is apply Windoze Updates
(WinXP SP2) and installed Open Office.

I've seen stuff on the 'net that says WinXP will sometimes have an
option under the advance tab of the network adapter. In my case it
looks like it doesn't. Is there someother way to change it?
Thanks,

-Tom
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 8, 2005 1:36:53 PM

The MAC address is a physical address of your network card, and cannot be
changed. The MAC address is unique to your machine, and is meant as a
address that your machine has, no other in the world is supposed to have
that same address. The only thing you can do is use software that can
"Spoof" another MAC address, although this is not too kosher to do.

Dan

Tom Cat wrote:
> Does anyone know how i can change the MAC address of the network card
> on a Toshiba Satellite 1405-S151? The system basically has all of the
> factory settings in place. All I've done is apply Windoze Updates
> (WinXP SP2) and installed Open Office.
>
> I've seen stuff on the 'net that says WinXP will sometimes have an
> option under the advance tab of the network adapter. In my case it
> looks like it doesn't. Is there someother way to change it?
> Thanks,
>
> -Tom
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 8, 2005 1:59:49 PM

It's not XP, it's the NIC's driver/config util. If nothing comes up
when u bring up Configuring Adapter, yer SOL.
a b D Laptop
January 8, 2005 5:47:48 PM

>The MAC address is unique to your machine

The MAC address is stored in EEPROM (normally a small serial EEPROM
connected directly to the MAC) and there is often, though not always, a
utility provided by the MAC chip manufacturer to reprogram the address.
This facility is useful when you upgrade your machine and either you
have software that's locked to the MAC address, or you use networks
that lock out unknown MAC addresses. High-speed Internet providers used
to charge extra for separate MACs on their networks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 10, 2005 2:17:52 AM

In general, you can't, the Mac address is burned permanently into a ROM
on the board when it's made and can't be changed. There are a very few
high-end NIC cards that do allow changing the MAC address, but it's not
common. You could use a router with a "MAC cloning" option, most of
them have that, but it means an extra piece of equipment.

!