Solved

$1,400 i5 light gaming build confirmation/advice

Been reading threads and newegg reviews for days. I think I have down everything I want & need, but I can't seem to tell if I've ever found the best combos. Any advice, info, criticism is appreciated.

Approximate Purchase Date: within two weeks.

Budget Range: $1,400 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: surfing, light gaming, light video/photo editing, word/excel, watching movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers,

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: U.S.

Parts Preferences: i5, 5850, no brand preferences

Overclocking: Maybe in the future

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 or 1920x1200

Additional Comments: doesn't need to be a monster, just don't want to have to upgrade very soon. No case bling, just plain black.

COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS VH236H Black 23" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor

XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

PLEXTOR Black BD Combo SATA Model PX-B320SA LightScribe Support - OEM

Combo : OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W PS & ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 mobo
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about light gaming build confirmation advice
  1. Best answer
    I built a computer with a very similar build, only difference was the EVGA P55 SLI mobo. It is a pretty good mobo, but boot issues prevent me from telling anyone else to buy it.
    So your mobo choice is a good one, and the CPU / Graphics cards are very good choices as the i5 and 5850 are GREAT!.....However, you might want to go with a 1 GB GTX 460 instead for your GPU, especially if you ever decide to go with another card for SLI / Crossfire. Have a look here : http://hardocp.com/article/2010/08/04/geforce_gtx_460_1gb_sli_vs_radeon_hd_5850_cfx, the 460's actually beat down the 5850's, and are cheaper.

I used a 5850 and eventually got a second one for crossfire. The 460 wasn't available yet, but if I was faced with the same choice today I'd have gone with the 460's and saved money doing it.
  2. Don't go with Intel for their getting rid of that socket, go with AMD and stick with the AM3 socket.
  3. rmmil978 said:
    I built a computer with a very similar build, only difference was the EVGA P55 SLI mobo. It is a pretty good mobo, but boot issues prevent me from telling anyone else to buy it.
    So your mobo choice is a good one, and the CPU / Graphics cards are very good choices as the i5 and 5850 are GREAT!.....However, you might want to go with a 1 GB GTX 460 instead for your GPU, especially if you ever decide to go with another card for SLI / Crossfire. Have a look here : http://hardocp.com/article/2010/08/04/geforce_gtx_460_1gb_sli_vs_radeon_hd_5850_cfx, the 460's actually beat down the 5850's, and are cheaper.

I used a 5850 and eventually got a second one for crossfire. The 460 wasn't available yet, but if I was faced with the same choice today I'd have gone with the 460's and saved money doing it.

Thanks. HardOCP wrote a follow up article using new drivers and got much better performance out of the 5850s here. But they still conclude that the nvidia is a better buy financially.
  4. billydee said:
    Been reading threads and newegg reviews for days. I think I have down everything I want & need, but I can't seem to tell if I've ever found the best combos. Any advice, info, criticism is appreciated.

Approximate Purchase Date: within two weeks.

Budget Range: $1,400 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: surfing, light gaming, light video/photo editing, word/excel, watching movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers,

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: U.S.

Parts Preferences: i5, 5850, no brand preferences

Overclocking: Maybe in the future

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 or 1920x1200

Additional Comments: doesn't need to be a monster, just don't want to have to upgrade very soon. No case bling, just plain black.

COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS VH236H Black 23" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor

XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

PLEXTOR Black BD Combo SATA Model PX-B320SA LightScribe Support - OEM

Combo : OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W PS & ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 mobo

Any ideas on how to verify the best combos are included? Know when NewEgg updates its deals - weekly, mondays, etc?
  5. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231321

Same price, .3 volts lower, in spec, better overclocking, lower power consumption.
  6. SHANEMARINES said:
    Don't go with Intel for their getting rid of that socket, go with AMD and stick with the AM3 socket.

AMD's releasing a new socket with Bulldozer. He wouldn't be able to drop a bulldozer into an AM3 motherboard.
  7. sp12 said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231321

Same price, .3 volts lower, in spec, better overclocking, lower power consumption.

Absolutely right. Just switched it out in my cart. Thanks.
  8. mortonww said:
    AMD's releasing a new socket with Bulldozer. He wouldn't be able to drop a bulldozer into an AM3 motherboard.

I'll have to look into this, sorry for the bad information I've been gone a little while so I'm kinda rusty lol. :??:
  9. Best answer selected by billydee.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product