Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$1,400 i5 light gaming build confirmation/advice

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 10, 2010 5:50:31 AM

Been reading threads and newegg reviews for days. I think I have down everything I want & need, but I can't seem to tell if I've ever found the best combos. Any advice, info, criticism is appreciated.


Approximate Purchase Date: within two weeks.

Budget Range: $1,400 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: surfing, light gaming, light video/photo editing, word/excel, watching movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers,

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: U.S.

Parts Preferences: i5, 5850, no brand preferences


Overclocking: Maybe in the future


SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future


Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 or 1920x1200


Additional Comments: doesn't need to be a monster, just don't want to have to upgrade very soon. No case bling, just plain black.


COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case


Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive


ASUS VH236H Black 23" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor


XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM


PLEXTOR Black BD Combo SATA Model PX-B320SA LightScribe Support - OEM

Combo : OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W PS & ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 mobo

Best solution

October 10, 2010 6:12:12 AM
Share

I built a computer with a very similar build, only difference was the EVGA P55 SLI mobo. It is a pretty good mobo, but boot issues prevent me from telling anyone else to buy it.
So your mobo choice is a good one, and the CPU / Graphics cards are very good choices as the i5 and 5850 are GREAT!.....However, you might want to go with a 1 GB GTX 460 instead for your GPU, especially if you ever decide to go with another card for SLI / Crossfire. Have a look here : http://hardocp.com/article/2010/08/04/geforce_gtx_460_1..., the 460's actually beat down the 5850's, and are cheaper.

I used a 5850 and eventually got a second one for crossfire. The 460 wasn't available yet, but if I was faced with the same choice today I'd have gone with the 460's and saved money doing it.
October 10, 2010 6:18:11 AM

Don't go with Intel for their getting rid of that socket, go with AMD and stick with the AM3 socket.
Related resources
October 10, 2010 2:06:31 PM

rmmil978 said:
I built a computer with a very similar build, only difference was the EVGA P55 SLI mobo. It is a pretty good mobo, but boot issues prevent me from telling anyone else to buy it.
So your mobo choice is a good one, and the CPU / Graphics cards are very good choices as the i5 and 5850 are GREAT!.....However, you might want to go with a 1 GB GTX 460 instead for your GPU, especially if you ever decide to go with another card for SLI / Crossfire. Have a look here : http://hardocp.com/article/2010/08/04/geforce_gtx_460_1..., the 460's actually beat down the 5850's, and are cheaper.

I used a 5850 and eventually got a second one for crossfire. The 460 wasn't available yet, but if I was faced with the same choice today I'd have gone with the 460's and saved money doing it.



Thanks. HardOCP wrote a follow up article using new drivers and got much better performance out of the 5850s here. But they still conclude that the nvidia is a better buy financially.
October 10, 2010 2:08:14 PM

billydee said:
Been reading threads and newegg reviews for days. I think I have down everything I want & need, but I can't seem to tell if I've ever found the best combos. Any advice, info, criticism is appreciated.


Approximate Purchase Date: within two weeks.

Budget Range: $1,400 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: surfing, light gaming, light video/photo editing, word/excel, watching movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers,

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: U.S.

Parts Preferences: i5, 5850, no brand preferences


Overclocking: Maybe in the future


SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future


Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 or 1920x1200


Additional Comments: doesn't need to be a monster, just don't want to have to upgrade very soon. No case bling, just plain black.


COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case


Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive


ASUS VH236H Black 23" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor


XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM


PLEXTOR Black BD Combo SATA Model PX-B320SA LightScribe Support - OEM

Combo : OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W PS & ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 mobo




Any ideas on how to verify the best combos are included? Know when NewEgg updates its deals - weekly, mondays, etc?
October 10, 2010 6:05:50 PM

SHANEMARINES said:
Don't go with Intel for their getting rid of that socket, go with AMD and stick with the AM3 socket.


AMD's releasing a new socket with Bulldozer. He wouldn't be able to drop a bulldozer into an AM3 motherboard.
October 11, 2010 5:27:07 AM

mortonww said:
AMD's releasing a new socket with Bulldozer. He wouldn't be able to drop a bulldozer into an AM3 motherboard.


I'll have to look into this, sorry for the bad information I've been gone a little while so I'm kinda rusty lol. :??: 
October 21, 2010 2:09:03 AM

Best answer selected by billydee.
!