Sign in with
Your question

A safe PSU

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
January 6, 2011 2:56:21 AM

Hi guys,

I'm building my first rig ever (my last one was a Sony Vaio RB44G, but the HDD is taking longer to boot, the DVD drives make weird sounds, and I need a hair dryer to turn on my PSU if it's unplugged longer than 2 minutes).

I've got most of my parts picked out, save for the PSU, case, and additional fans. While searching, I learned that using the wrong PSU can cause random shutdowns, fry the components, explode, and literally set things on fire. I've also found what looks like a good PSU at first, only to read a few negative reviews about squealing capacitors, burnt electricity, and the aforementioned explosion.

Given these specs (so far), could anyone tell me what to look for in a PSU? This box is meant for video editing and animation. Gaming is a definite plus, but takes a backseat right now as I'm trying to stay under an $800 budget. Also trying to keep things as "future proof" as possible.

CPU = Intel Core i5 760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz
MOBO = Asus P7P55 WS SuperComputer (form factor ATX, heat pipe cooling)
Video Card = Asus ENGT430 (GeForce GT 430 fermi, 1 GB memory, 128-bit DDR3, PCIe 2.0 x 16)
2 x HDD = Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS (640GB, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache, SATA 3.0, bare drive)
2 x DVD Burner = Asus Black (newegg # = N82E16827135204)
RAM = CORSAIR XMS 4GB (2 X 2GB, 240-pin DDR 3 (1600) SDRAM)*
OS = Windows 7 64 bit**
PSU = ???
Case = ???
Fans = ???

*I might use DDR3 1333 RAM because my chosen MOBO doesn't support 1600 in dual channel mode.
**Possibly going 32 bit, depending on how it supports my current software (Adobe CS2, Starcraft, etc.)

Like I said, my biggest concern in not blowing up the apartment, so the PSU is really where I'm stuck. However, if I should change out any other components, I'd be grateful for any advice. Again, this is for video/3D graphics/animation/game design, but on a low budget.

More about : safe psu

a b ) Power supply
January 6, 2011 8:55:19 AM

Hi M, realistically you could power that setup with a decent 400w psu, thing is most of the higher powered units are such a good price you might as well get them and have plenty of spare power.

These are all good psu's and on offer, they would also cover future gpu upgrades.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Just a case idea on offer - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
January 6, 2011 9:05:46 AM

I don't think it is the time for a new computer mate...
Wait for Sandy Bridge...you don't have that much to wait...
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 6, 2011 10:34:24 AM

Why wait for something that costs more and isn't necessary?
There are going to be some good deals with the expected price cuts so why waste it on a SB?
m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
January 7, 2011 5:59:29 AM

Wow, thanks for the help so far!

I was looking at a couple of those models already, so your links just confirmed it. My only real concern was about the Watts, and would 550 be enough?

As for being "future proof", I don't mean to necessarily be cutting edge, just upgradable per budget in the foreseeable future. My MOBO actually has 4 PCIe 2.0 x 16 slots, and if need be can run 4 way SLI (of course, with all that running through the nForce 200 chip there would surely be a bottlenecking issue). I know a 1156 socket won't allow much swapping out, but after using a Pentium 4 for the last 5.5 years, I think I'll be good with my new quad. By the time my needs outstrip my processor, I'll probably be upgrading the MOBO anyway (and by then even Sandy Bridge may be outdated).

The video card is just something I can use for now without breaking the bank and still handle higher end graphics. I don't think PCIe is going away too soon so that can be upgraded when the time comes. I just hope the 128-bit memory interface will suffice.

Seriously considering the SeaSonic 520W you mentioned. I've heard good things about that brand (also Antec and Corsair). If that's enough power, great. I would just go way above my requirement on the side of caution, but I've heard that's never a good idea. Not sure why (wasted $$$? higher power bill? blown capacitors?).

Two more questions, as long as I'm here.
1. I'm using SATA cables to hook up my HDD's and Optical drives. If so, will I still need to use the peripheral connectors from the power supply?
2. My MOBO has a passive cooling heat pipe and sinks, even around the processor. Will I still need separate fans for the processor and/or chassis?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 7, 2011 10:34:23 AM

Quote:
Wow, thanks for the help so far!

I was looking at a couple of those models already, so your links just confirmed it. My only real concern was about the Watts, and would 550 be enough?

Loads and would cover you for just about any single gpu upgrade.

Quote:
As for being "future proof", I don't mean to necessarily be cutting edge, just upgradable per budget in the foreseeable future. My MOBO actually has 4 PCIe 2.0 x 16 slots, and if need be can run 4 way SLI (of course, with all that running through the nForce 200 chip there would surely be a bottlenecking issue). I know a 1156 socket won't allow much swapping out, but after using a Pentium 4 for the last 5.5 years, I think I'll be good with my new quad. By the time my needs outstrip my processor, I'll probably be upgrading the MOBO anyway (and by then even Sandy Bridge may be outdated).

If you think you may go SLI with 2 more powerfull cards you need to considor more power and 4xpci-e cables.

The video card is just something I can use for now without breaking the bank and still handle higher end graphics. I don't think PCIe is going away too soon so that can be upgraded when the time comes. I just hope the 128-bit memory interface will suffice.

Quote:
Seriously considering the SeaSonic 520W you mentioned. I've heard good things about that brand (also Antec and Corsair). If that's enough power, great. I would just go way above my requirement on the side of caution, but I've heard that's never a good idea. Not sure why (wasted $$$? higher power bill? blown capacitors?).

Yes all goo brands, depends if modular is something you must have. Having more power than needed is never an issue, if you want to save on running costs you need a more efficiant psu silver or gold rated but they cost more.
Quote:

Two more questions, as long as I'm here.
1. I'm using SATA cables to hook up my HDD's and Optical drives. If so, will I still need to use the peripheral connectors from the power supply?

Not sure what you are asking sorry, you will will hook your drives up using the sata power cables yes??

Quote:
2. My MOBO has a passive cooling heat pipe and sinks, even around the processor. Will I still need separate fans for the processor and/or chassis?

I also have passive cooling on my board its pretty good now. I do have a cpu heatsink and fan setup thats blows air onto them. You will obviously need a cpu heatsink and fan cooler and chassis fans to allow airflow and extract warm air from the case.
m
l
!