Free installation of ATI High Definition Audio Device for ASUS motherboard sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

awesomen2005

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I have an OEM asus motherboard with sound card, Windows 7 Pro, and HAD an ATI High Definition Audio Device, but sound stopped working. Tried to download the proper audio device, but it fails. Now it is showing a "High Definition Audio Device", and "VIA High Definition Audio" with yellow triangles with exclamation marks in them. When I update software it says it is up to date, however, when I try playback it says "no audio device installed". Anyone's help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :cry:

Snet

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
go to www.ATI.com. What model is the Asus board? Most Asus boards have Realtek HD Audio Drivers. Uninstall the VIA Drivers, what Chipset is the ASUS board using? If intel , It is Realtek HD Audio

awesomen2005

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

I had this pc built by a "friend", and he isn't answering my emails or msgs as to model # of board or chipset being used. I went to ASUS and tried to download what he, and ASUS, told me to, however it failed. Originally I HAD an ATI HD Audio Device, but failed to write down the other one below it, and somehow in the process of troubleshooting microsoft Hi Def Audio Device and VIA drivers were installed. They had "Error" by both, and were NOT working. I uninstalled them, and tried the driver download from ASUS again, but it still failed. The sound card is on the motherboard. I don't want to ruin my system by downloading the incorrect drivers.

I tried Driver Detective and Driver Robot to find correct drivers. Detective doesn't work, and need to buy Robot, which I am not sure I trust, because it is not from ASUS OR ATI. Any other possible solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help. :cry:

awesomen2005

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Thanks, but at 2 am I bought DriverHive, and even paid for a disc as well, and it did NOT work. Sent email to support, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. It said moneyback guarantee, so maybe I'll just get my money back. During my exhaustive research think I've found the drivers I had that went bye bye. They are: ATI Radeon HD 4200 and Realtek PCIeGBE Family Controller. It says they are generic drivers for display card with ATI's chipset. I didn't want to download them tho, just in case it is wrong and crashes my system. Unfortunately, I did not write down the second driver name, but the first one was ATI High Definition Audio Device. Another search said a windows update could have caused me to have no sound. Then another one said windows update was configured never to install drivers, however, microsoft Hi Def Audio Device & VIA were installed automatically. They had "error" by both, and did not work, so I uninstalled them.

When I went to ASUS and downloaded their audio it failed. It said: 1608: Unable to InstallDriver instance. Return code: 2147221164.

I am using Windows 7 Pro, ASUS motherboard with sound card on motherboard. Just about to pull a Garfield with a chainsaw and say, "Compute this sucker!"

I did a screenshot of my system info, but don't see how to attach here in case that helps. Thanks.

All the information you have given and the trouble you've taken is really a waste of energy and time you still can do it by just downloading something that we here understand, we are not interested in the systems information that windows will give cos it's too long and really not worth reading thru.
What was required was the Board, and that is a simple download and show the screen shot.
You can edit your reply and insert image in the reply, that's the easiest....

awesomen2005

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
So I buy another program, and if it doesn't work I've spent $75 for nothing? Sorry, downloaded wrong item. Still don't see how to attach scrnprnt with info you need.

Sorry if I seem thick, been at this since Dec 26 most nights all night! I did the scrnprnt, but don't see how to put it here.

awesomen2005

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hope this works.
MainboardInfo.png
. Let me know if this worked. I have other links I can use if this "direct link" doesn't work.

Open MS Paint, after you've captured the screen, then Paste it (Ctrl + v) and then save the image in a place where you can find it,
then edit this reply which you sent here and in-between the text or below it click on the insert image Browse to the url where the image url is supposed to be.... and wala......... I'll see it here

Now you need to get to the Asus site.....
Here...... http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=QHbvGVB1mXmmD8qQ

Go to Downloads Tab,
Select your OS.....

Download the Latest BIOS first......
Then Download the Asus Update from there itself
Install it and upgrade your BIOS to the latest file
This is not what you want, but I'd suggest you do it, since it makes a world of a difference to be with the latest Bios and Drivers...

Then Download the latest Audio driver from the same site itself.....
And as a matter of fact your board does have a VIA audio driver........
So you will need it.

awesomen2005

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Tried 2 BIOS in "utilities", neither were compatible, then tried latest in "history" it couldn't be opened.

Looked at the latest date of BIOS, and it is 09, so I already have the latest BIOS, evidently, since this pc is only 9 months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.