Sign in with
Your question

Troubleshooting new build

Last response: in Systems
October 10, 2010 8:38:21 AM

Hi tech gurus,

I just upgraded my system with a new CPU, a new mobo, and new RAM. My specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i7-975 3.33GHz (not OC'd)
Mobo: Intel DX58SO
RAM: Corsair XMS 6GB DDR3 1600 CMX6GX3M3A1600C9
GPU: Dual Radeon 4870s 512 MB
PSU: Corsair 750W TX750W
HDD: x1 Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM (Primary, system drive), x1 Samsung F4 2TB, x2 Samsung F3 1TB

Here's the problem: my system fails Prime95 Blend and Large FFTs and Linx tests and the system regularly crashes when playing games (holds true for every single game I've tried, from NBA 2k11 to Crysis to War for Cybertron). I'm not trying to overclock, I just want my computer to run.

The strange thing is, the RAM and the CPU work perfectly when tested separately. Memtest86+ ran for 8 passes without problems and Prime95 Small FFTs ran fine for 2 hours. However, the system failed tests that stressed both the RAM and the CPU at the same time. Prime95 Blend and Large FFTs and Linx all encountered an error within half an hour of testing.

Here's what I've tried:
  • Increased by the RAM voltage and the CPU voltage (to 1.58V and 1.375V, respectively)
  • Set the RAM at XMP settings (1600 MHz and 1.68V)
  • Set the RAM at default settings (1350 MHz and 1.55V)
  • Tried to run games and tests with one GPU at a time (removed the other GPU)

Other info:
  • The motherboard has sounds issues, it doesn't recognize even the most updated audio drivers
  • The dual 4870s and the HDDs worked fine with my old system (e8400 OC'd, Corsair 4GB, Asus Rampage Formula)
  • This is a link to the minidump files from the game-crashing BSODs.

What exactly is causing the problem? Compatibility between the i7 975 and the Corsair RAM? The DX58SO? The PSU?
    Is there anything else I can do?

I appreciate any help!
  • More about : troubleshooting build

October 10, 2010 10:38:03 AM

Lol, I'm not Dl'ing a Rar from a link on Toms sorry,
    I was going to suggest trying to boot the system one stick of ram at a time though, if system boots with the ram its fine and you can rule that out as a potential issue.
    memtest isnt comprehensive enough but booting it is imo
    Moto
    m
    l
    October 10, 2010 2:39:39 PM

1.68 is over voltage on that ram....try the 1600 at 1.65 (or whatever will be closest without going over)

in the past I've avoided intel branded motherboards, in my experience they are buggy.

heres a link to intels compatable ram, http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dx58s...

and one for tested ram by a third party http://www.cmtlabs.com/mbSearchResults.asp?sProcessor=&...

your corsair isnt on either list, but try it at the 1.65 it might fix your problem
    m
    l
    October 10, 2010 6:18:56 PM

Thanks for the responses!

At this point, I'm pretty sure it is the mobo and I'm going to RMA it first thing tomorrow.

I've confirmed the RAM isn't the problem and I've tested the RAM at XMP (1600 MHz) and both 1.62V and 1.66V. I've also bumped the CPU voltage to 1.40V but it still doesn't help.

P.S. The Corsair CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 is the TR3X6G1600C9 with different branding so the RAM is actually third-party tested.
    m
    l
    !